New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting clips.  I see anywhere from a 3 man front to a 5 man front.  I like that he mixes things up.

Not just 3 or 4 but 3 or 4 or 5 man fronts. He would completely befuddle a Scott Frost offense 67% of the time depending on which front was prepared for.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Out of curiosity, what truly makes him a great hire?  As a DC at Syracuse they were 13-22.  In a lot of their losses, the opposing team went over 30+ points (16 out of 22).  It's not like they were world beaters going 1-10, 5-7 and 7-5.  Granted the total D was abysmal in 2020 and then improved to 22 in 2021 and 29 in 2022.  But still a 13-22 overall record.  Looks like their O didn't help much in the losses, but the D still gave up 30+ in the losses.  Just feel like I am having to convince myself these guys are great hires vs ok hires.  

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, lo country said:

Out of curiosity, what truly makes him a great hire?  As a DC at Syracuse they were 13-22.  In a lot of their losses, the opposing team went over 30+ points (16 out of 22).  It's not like they were world beaters going 1-10, 5-7 and 7-5.  Granted the total D was abysmal in 2020 and then improved to 22 in 2021 and 29 in 2022.  But still a 13-22 overall record.  Looks like their O didn't help much in the losses, but the D still gave up 30+ in the losses.  Just feel like I am having to convince myself these guys are great hires vs ok hires.  

Yeah. This DC hire is a kick in the nuts imo. I haven’t read the whole thread but why were we waiting so long for this guy? Completely underwhelming. I wish him all the best in proving me wrong but this is just totally…meh

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

23 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I watched that video on the 3-3-5 and I didn’t get it all, but I did catch that they’re gonna put bears on the field. I didn’t know that was legal but I have to trust that they’re the coaches and they know what they’re doing.

Maybe it is because I am well into my pre-Beat Navy drink-a-thon at this point, but I LoL’d very hard at this post. Probably won’t remember why I thought it was so damn funny at the time later on, but props to you!

56 minutes ago, M.A. said:

This video along with that other instructional video emphasize that the Safeties in this D HAVE to be able to cover or the deep middle is a weak spot. Syracuse seemed to lack coverage talent at S and gave up big plays, I am hoping that Rhule and Co can recruit a bit better S talent to NU. That all being said, I don’t see that weak spot hurting NU ad much in the B1G, except for OSU, MU, and PSU. I would say Purdue, but not sure who replaces Brohm yet.

• Fire 1
Just now, caveman99 said:

This video along with that other instructional video emphasize that the Safeties in this D HAVE to be able to cover or the deep middle is a weak spot. Syracuse seemed to lack coverage talent at S and gave up big plays, I am hoping that Rhule and Co can recruit a bit better S talent to NU. That all being said, I don’t see that weak spot hurting NU ad much in the B1G, except for OSU, MU, and PSU. I would say Purdue, but not sure who replaces Brohm yet.

Well Rhule combined with Cooper turned some 3 star DBs into NFL talent at Safety so hopefully they can do that again.  And also yeah agreed that most teams in the B1G cant really exploit that. Even Michigan has been spotty at that. Sure they have done it a little this year but a couple games over the whole Harbaugh era does not give me confidence that they can do it going forward. PSU hasnt exactly had QBs to do it either for a little while. We all talk about needing a defense to stop B1G offenses, but its not like we have some juggernauts.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, lo country said:

The D gave up 30+ 3x in 2022.

Held teams to 21 or less 6x.

Def Pass yds/Rush yds

Louisville W 31-7  197/137

UConn W 48-14  105/97

Purdue W 32-29  424/61

Virginia W 22-20  138/149

Wagner W 59-0  19/31

#25 NC State W 24-9  160/107

#10 Clemson L 21-27. 157/294

#19 Notre Dame L 24-41  116/248

Pittsburgh L 9-19  177/164

#13 Florida St L 3-38  190/230

Wake Forest L 35-45  331/213

Boston College W 32-23  252/89

Doesn’t seem too shabby to me for Syracuse :dunno

Common Opponent Purdue.

Nebraska lost 37-43  391/220

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
53 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Well Rhule combined with Cooper turned some 3 star DBs into NFL talent at Safety so hopefully they can do that again.  And also yeah agreed that most teams in the B1G cant really exploit that. Even Michigan has been spotty at that. Sure they have done it a little this year but a couple games over the whole Harbaugh era does not give me confidence that they can do it going forward. PSU hasnt exactly had QBs to do it either for a little while. We all talk about needing a defense to stop B1G offenses, but it’s not like we have some juggernauts.

Agreed on Rhule’s track record for putting athletes all over so I am hopeful on this hire. I absolutely love this scheme for players like Gifford and Wright, they will light it up in this scheme.

13 hours ago, Toe said:

@BigRedBuster A 3-3-5 is still a 3-man front, so the need to find a nose tackle is still there.

The video describing the 3-3-5 scheme has several different configurations. I remember a 2DT and OLB front. It seemed the only consistent was it was inconsistent. I think being difficult and chaotic was one of the main pro’s.  

7 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

The video describing the 3-3-5 scheme has several different configurations. I remember a 2DT and OLB front. It seemed the only consistent was it was inconsistent. I think being difficult and chaotic was one of the main pro’s.  

I read about Michigan's scheme as a 3-3-5.  DC said they can run 3, 4, 5, or even a 6 man front.  Whatever it takes.  Pretty good article.  The bolded appears to be a common thread amongst proponents of the 3-3-5.

25 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The D gave up 30+ 3x in 2022.

Held teams to 21 or less 6x.

Def Pass yds/Rush yds

Louisville W 31-7  197/137

UConn W 48-14  105/97

Purdue W 32-29  424/61

Virginia W 22-20  138/149

Wagner W 59-0  19/31

#25 NC State W 24-9  160/107

#10 Clemson L 21-27 157/294

#19 Notre Dame L 24-41  116/248

Pittsburgh L 9-19  177/164

#13 Florida St L 3-38  190/230

Wake Forest L 35-45  331/213

Boston College W 32-23  252/89

Doesn’t seem too shabby to me for Syracuse :dunno

Definitely improved form year 1-3 in the WL record.  Oddly enough the D was "rated higher" in 21 with there 5-7 record.  22 in 2021 and 29 in 2022.  Numbers tell a story, but with the high praise and alleged number of suitors, there hasn't been any negatives from the talking heads.  I just wonder about the only numbers that matter and that's the W vs L.  And those are not great.  Hoping this entire staff comes in and shines and proves me completely wrong.  I do think the Rhule hire was solid.