New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

3 hours ago, Toe said:

To me, it seems like the scheme might be different, but it doesn't seem like the personnel it needs is too terribly different than what we have now. Seems like a good scheme for hybrid guys like Gifford (and Jojo).

A few reporters have noted that Busch said they ran a lot of 3-3-5 this year.

It looked more like a 4-2-5 but since the one end was in a two-point stance (usually), I can see that.

So really not much different at all.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

That’s fine as long as it’s what Busch was running and not Chins.  

I mean... scheme is different from alignment, which you know.

People get really hung up on whether we're running a 3-4 or a 4-3 or a 3-3-5.  But how you line up doesn't matter nearly as much as how you implement it.  Our alignments didn't change that much from Chins to Busch.  But how it was implemented was much better.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

Defense and offense - coordination is all about anticipation and understanding of your opponents and their play calling.   Tendencies and strategy.   Good D coordination requires good educated guessing on what will work and not work vis a vis the opponents.  That’s where coaches that really work hard, long hours and study their opponents make or break the team.  

Sometimes players do their jobs but fail because the coaches put them in bad positions.   All coaches are NOT equal.  The past 5 seasons, Nebraska was out coached about 90% of the games, before MJ-Whipple-Busch took over.  It got better but they replacement staff was hamstrung by having so much ‘system’ built in and so little time to re-scheme and so on.  Wholesale schematic change was not really feasible in mid season. They simplified and adjusted - marginally anyway - which gave some benefits but the usual injuries and lack of depth/talent was just not fixable.  

At this point, Rhule is planning short and medium and longer term but there is no magical way to fix things in just one 3 weeks recruiting whirlwind tour nor even over the coming 8 months (45 practices roughly).   

I get the feeling Rhule is looking at an overhaul rather than total replacement.   Maybe that can work but maybe not.   A gradual changeover might be the plan.  Hope he gets the time but idk. Fans are impatient - partly because they’ve been thru this 4 times already over 20 years. None took a complete rebuild - just a fix it and repeat as necessary approach. The focus on winning right away is the heart of the problem. Short cuts and budget skimping stuff just remains cosmetic.  

Recruiting is not over - hopefully - there are half a dozen nice additions needed.  It’s great so far but we need to finish.  The first half went well but the second half needs to follow thru. It’s tougher to finish than to start. I remain very hopeful but don’t bet the farm on some miracle ‘23 team.  Just a bowl game would be a great accomplishment! 

https://www.on3.com/teams/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/nebraska-dc-tony-white-seeking-to-instill-passion-details-23-linebackers/

I feel like in the past we’d recruit this type of player like once every few years. It was one high energy guy every few years. Now we haul 3 in one class. How about we just recruit this all over the field!  Sure there will be growing pains but this will be exciting. LB and Edge is gonna look different! 

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

On 12/22/2022 at 1:03 AM, Mavric said:

A few reporters have noted that Busch said they ran a lot of 3-3-5 this year.

It looked more like a 4-2-5 but since the one end was in a two-point stance (usually), I can see that.

So really not much different at all.

Did we line up with 3 safeties or a nickel?  That's the main difference, I think.

11 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I don't know that I would use the Fiesta Bowl to support the 3-3-5. While TCU has made some plays Michigan has 38 points on em with almost a whole quarter left. 

Michigan has also given up 2 pick 6’s, have been stopped with no points twice inside the 5 yard line, and are getting out rushed 247 to 166. Michigan is way out of its element right now.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Michigan has also given up 2 pick 6’s, have been stopped with no points twice inside the 5 yard line, and are getting out rushed 247 to 166. Michigan is way out of its element right now.

Was about to post something very similar. Michigan’s offense has struggled a lot during this game, despite the 38 points (now 45).