New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

45 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

My guess is we will be more of a normal 4-3/4-2-5.  Typically 3 3 5 you’re trading in size/run stopping for speed to address passing and spread concepts. Something that would work in the ACC and pac 12.. unless we had a suh at DT, I’m having a hard time seeing us leverage this as our base given the majority of the teams we’ll face have some mauling lines and run game. 

That being said, I’m not a D1 coach and I trust what this guy can do. Just conceptually, most scenarios where a 3-3-5 would be ideal doesn’t quite lineup with what we’ll go against most Saturday’s in the big 10.

The video in the post goes into the origins of the defense, and it was actually created at a time when most people were running heavy personnel. Can easily become more like a 4-3 or even 5 man front with the OLBs either lining up or attacking the LOS, while the middle safety/rover comes up into an LB position. I think it will be fine, not terribly dissimilar to what we have been doing personnel-wise. Fairly different scheme-wise though.

9 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I also like how this video contrasts it to Iowa State's 3-3-5 - that one is designed for the Big 12 spread teams. White's version is truer to the original 3-3-5 and is better suited to the Big Ten.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2

33 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The video in the post goes into the origins of the defense, and it was actually created at a time when most people were running heavy personnel. Can easily become more like a 4-3 or even 5 man front with the OLBs either lining up or attacking the LOS, while the middle safety/rover comes up into an LB position. I think it will be fine, not terribly dissimilar to what we have been doing personnel-wise. Fairly different scheme-wise though.

I also like how this video contrasts it to Iowa State's 3-3-5 - that one is designed for the Big 12 spread teams. White's version is truer to the original 3-3-5 and is better suited to the Big Ten.

Is this defense similar to Bo Pelini's 'peso' defense that he was running toward the end of his time in the Big 12?

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, MasterPulverizer said:

Is this defense similar to Bo Pelini's 'peso' defense that he was running toward the end of his time in the Big 12?

IIRC the peso defense was more of a dime look with 6 DBs - if that's right, no. Didn't he he call guys like Eric Hagg the Peso defender too though? We will still have a hybrid defender like that or the Nickel under Chinander/Busch.

The difference (if White sticks with the same system) will be the hybrid Rover is in the box more rather than on the edge.  The outside safeties might take on a little more of the Jojo Domann role over the slot, but probably won't be responsible for setting the edge like he was at times. If I had to guess, Javin Wright is a fit as the Rover and Gifford could be as well. The other guy listed at Nickel was Omar Brown, and I would think he would shift back to true safety or CB. As mentioned in the video the best all-time in that role was Brian Urlacher, but uhhh.. I don't think we have anyone like that.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, MasterPulverizer said:

Whenever you run a Nickel scheme it's at least somewhat similar to those concepts Bo had.

But the thing with Bo is that he recruited real defensive ends...something we haven't done successfully since he left.