New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

6 minutes ago, lo country said:

I read about Michigan's scheme as a 3-3-5.  DC said they can run 3, 4, 5, or even a 6 man front.  Whatever it takes.  Pretty good article.  The bolded appears to be a common thread amongst proponents of the 3-3-5.

I’m going to dream of 10 Lavonte David’s on the field. Just clone him please. 

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, lo country said:

Definitely improved form year 1-3 in the WL record.  Oddly enough the D was "rated higher" in 21 with there 5-7 record.  22 in 2021 and 29 in 2022.  Numbers tell a story, but with the high praise and alleged number of suitors, there hasn't been any negatives from the talking heads.  I just wonder about the only numbers that matter and that's the W vs L.  And those are not great.  Hoping this entire staff comes in and shines and proves me completely wrong.  I do think the Rhule hire was solid.

I get the hesitation but that W-L record is a whole team thing and not directly attributable to just the DC. Hopefully the new staff and our team can provide the required support. I really like the Rhule and White hires. I haven’t looked into Satterfield much yet. I’m pretty confident they’ll get us headed back in the right direction. I don’t know how good next year will be but it should be better and I’m expecting to go bowling for the first time in forever. Hope I’m not disappointed.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I get the hesitation but that W-L record is a whole team thing and not directly attributable to just the DC. Hopefully the new staff and our team can provide the required support. I really like the Rhule and White hires. I haven’t looked into Satterfield much yet. I’m pretty confident they’ll get us headed back in the right direction. I don’t know how good next year will be but it should be better and I’m expecting to go bowling for the first time in forever. Hope I’m not disappointed.

Rhule has proven to be a winner.  I put no stock in the NFL record.  Saban, Spurrier, Urb all say hello.  Even TO said that he was offered HC jobs in the NFL, but knew where he was, was the perfect fit.  Temple had issues until Rhule arrived.  Baylor was a dumpster after the Briles scandal.   Syracuse fans were upset that White was leaving.  I think that speaks well, but I am just hesitant.  Snake bit is probably more accurate as a Husker fan.  been a while since any hire to include staff changes worked.

Is this like an amoeba shifting disguising defense? If so I’d like to see us give it a shot. I thought Aranda ran this with success at Wisconsin. He took average players who thrived in this style. It allows hybrid athletes to make plays and confuses opponents. I thought our basic defensive schemes were very vanilla with lackluster players. I think that’s why we would get carved up as it’s like playing a video game defense on easy mode where you always knew you could get yards when needed. This may give us an edge in recruiting this type of defender. I’m excited to see how we do.

• Plus1 3

11 hours ago, lo country said:

Definitely improved form year 1-3 in the WL record.  Oddly enough the D was "rated higher" in 21 with there 5-7 record.  22 in 2021 and 29 in 2022.  Numbers tell a story, but with the high praise and alleged number of suitors, there hasn't been any negatives from the talking heads.  I just wonder about the only numbers that matter and that's the W vs L.  And those are not great.  Hoping this entire staff comes in and shines and proves me completely wrong.  I do think the Rhule hire was solid.

Looking at a DC objectively you can't hold them to a W/L record they don't control the offense or their T/O

34 minutes ago, McGuillotine said:

Looking at a DC objectively you can't hold them to a W/L record they don't control the offense or their T/O

Just one data point of many.  I realize that he only "control" 1/3 of the team, but W-L records get guys fired (or hired) all the time.  I do think it's a valid question/concern.  I still wonder why he is a "great hire".

No one wants to hire a HC who has lost more than they have won.  Some have concerns for Rhule's over all record.  

17 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Is this like an amoeba shifting disguising defense? If so I’d like to see us give it a shot. I thought Aranda ran this with success at Wisconsin. He took average players who thrived in this style. It allows hybrid athletes to make plays and confuses opponents. I thought our basic defensive schemes were very vanilla with lackluster players. I think that’s why we would get carved up as it’s like playing a video game defense on easy mode where you always knew you could get yards when needed. This may give us an edge in recruiting this type of defender. I’m excited to see how we do.

I’m having visions of 11 players who are the same size and look exactly alike. We make the numbers minuscule, so they can’t be read from a distance.  

Chaos and mayhem ensue 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Thanks - are you a subscriber  If so can you post the article content?  It's firewalled for us regular folks.

Well when I read it it was free. He just talked about how he had other offers to coach defense especially at a PAC 12 school. He didn't say where just said it wasn't the right fit. Talks about how him taking the job was out of no where. He met Matt Rhule through UCLA and they have kept in touch through out the years. Taking the Nebraska job wasn't about money bc Dino Babers and Syracuse has taking care of their assistant's but it was bc he has aspirations to be a head coach and Nebraska is very recognizable to get there.  Won't coach Syracuse's bowl game is already in Nebraska working.

• Thanks 2
On 12/10/2022 at 10:31 AM, lo country said:

No one wants to hire a HC who has lost more than they have won.  Some have concerns for Rhule's over all record.  

If that overall record comes as a result  of willingly taking on serious reclamation projects then you have to account for (and RESPECT) THAT.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1