New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

We have the OC thread going.    I thought I'd start a thread just for the DC once named and related Defensive coaching news. 

Any rumblings today on who may become the new DC.  Snow??.    I would like to see us get Robinson from A&M on the staff.  Not sure if he is at the DC level talent yet.  

I imagine all of the pieces need to be in place by Friday as the door opens up to recruiting next week.  Now that MJ is out of the picture, there may be more $$s available to lure

in the top defense coaches who agree with HCMATT's philosophy.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Never been a defensive coordinator.  Wouldn't mind having him coach the DL and lead recruiting, but that ship sailed.

I swear - why does everybody think Coach O wasn't a DC? 

He was the DC at USC for two seasons.

https://usctrojans.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/ed-orgeron/311

Ed Orgeron, one of the most popular assistant coaches in USC history, is in his fourth year back at Troy as the recruiting coordinator and defensive line coach after returning to the Trojan staff in January of 2010. He also was the defensive coordinator in 2010 and 2011 and then the assistant head coach starting in 2012.

Even though he knows offense and understands controlling the LOS, I know deep down coach Rhule is a defensive guy at heart.  Stop the run, get to the QB and force turnovers.  He knows how to implement the formula, but understands your offense needs a certain pace to keep the defense fresh so they can play physical and fast.

I feel that his vision of who he wants to be DC at Nebraska will be a good one.  Without a doubt he will want the Blackshirts to be among the best Big Ten defenses.  That's his M.O.  

13 minutes ago, admo said:

Even though he knows offense and understands controlling the LOS, I know deep down coach Rhule is a defensive guy at heart.  Stop the run, get to the QB and force turnovers.  He knows how to implement the formula, but understands your offense needs a certain pace to keep the defense fresh so they can play physical and fast.

I feel that his vision of who he wants to be DC at Nebraska will be a good one.  Without a doubt he will want the Blackshirts to be among the best Big Ten defenses.  That's his M.O.  

In watching film of his Baylor games and also Carolina games, he puts a premium on getting to the QB and containment.  Those outside rushers have a big part in his D strategy. Maybe we can develop another Gregory or two.  

• Plus1 3

I would love to see Leonhard as our DC.
It would give everyone associated with (or rooting for) Wisconsin pause.

He knows the BigTen and I'll bet he would LOVE to have the opportunity to stick it to Wisconsin on a regular basis (as opposed to going to the SEC).
Besides, the BigTen has the money to pay him better than most places.

And you know what they say about a DC Scorned. :)

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, alexhortdog95 said:

I swear - why does everybody think Coach O wasn't a DC? 

He was the DC at USC for two seasons.

https://usctrojans.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/ed-orgeron/311

Ed Orgeron, one of the most popular assistant coaches in USC history, is in his fourth year back at Troy as the recruiting coordinator and defensive line coach after returning to the Trojan staff in January of 2010. He also was the defensive coordinator in 2010 and 2011 and then the assistant head coach starting in 2012.

I stand corrected. I didn’t remember him being a DC and then scanned over his Wikipedia, which actually only refers to him as an assistant coach during his second USC stint. Lazy research by me. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

I don't love the staff yet. Was hoping for some real home runs.. Maybe those are the other 4 that are coming. 

If you are looking for outside hires that don't have previous history with Rhule then don't hold your breath. Rhule stated in a recent interview that he felt one of his biggest mistakes at Carolina was hiring a lot assistant coaches he didn't have a history with. He is supposedly a very demanding boss and can be tough to work for if you don't know what his expectations are. He won't go that route this time. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

If you are looking for outside hires that don't have previous history with Rhule then don't hold your breath. Rhule stated in a recent interview that he felt one of his biggest mistakes at Carolina was hiring a lot assistant coaches he didn't have a history with. He is supposedly a very demanding boss and can be tough to work for if you don't know what his expectations are. He won't go that route this time. 

I think I was looking for coaches that had experience with Rhule but that were also multi time Broyles award winners. Admittedly, I am never happy. ;)

• Plus1 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE