New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

2023 commit Hayden Moore said that the LB coached won't be announced by this weekend and seemed to indicate that the new DC was still to be determined.  Said Rhule has two or three guys he's considering.

Didn't the other linebacker were recruiting today said it was going to be Dvorcek sp?

34 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am not sure if this was posted before, but there appears to be a connection between the likely OLB coach and Schumann.

https://huskercorner.com/2022/12/05/nebraska-football-rob-dvoracek/

While I share the hope for someone like Schumann, I do hesitate, as Rhule as mentioned one of his biggest mistakes at Carolina was not having guys he worked with before and trusted.   So far, everyone of his hires is someone he's worked with, in some capacity.   That makes it seem like a big stretch that one of the most important hires would be a coach that he has no visible connection that I can see.  I hope I'm wrong, as it seems like Schumann will be a homerun hire.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sounds like whoever the candidates are is very hard to get a read on.  

Snow still said to be "a possibility" but no other names seem to be floating around, from what I can tell.

Perhaps it’s Schumann and they’re in the process of determining a workable transition?

1 hour ago, sho said:

While I share the hope for someone like Schumann, I do hesitate, as Rhule as mentioned one of his biggest mistakes at Carolina was not having guys he worked with before and trusted.   So far, everyone of his hires is someone he's worked with, in some capacity.   That makes it seem like a big stretch that one of the most important hires would be a coach that he has no visible connection that I can see.  I hope I'm wrong, as it seems like Schumann will be a homerun hire.

For what it’s worth, Fran Brown, who has worked with Rhule at multiple stops, is on the Georgia defensive staff with Schumann, and maybe recommended him to Rhule. So could just be a second-hand connection. Also matches up with Rhule’s description of wanting young, energetic coaches

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, sho said:

I've seen that quote and it seems to me Rhule should be looking at why he wasn't better at networking and interviewing to land the right guy, that's something coaches that succeed over the long term are good at. Of course coaches hire guys they have prior experience with, that's expected, but they shouldn't limit themselves to only that talent-pool. Yes Rhule is demanding but he's far from alone in that and all coaches have their style that their staff must fit. Successful coaches can find good coaches that fit, from there trust and relationships build quickly enough. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

One would think that if it is any college coach, they would be announced by now I light of the recruiting / portal season that is upon us.   Even if it is someone playing for the NC, the announcement could be made, and we could still make allowances for them to continue coaching for their former school.  If it is a NFL guy, maybe there are some contractual hurdles to overcome:dunno   

Regardless, we need a full staff hit the recruiting trail in full stride. 

• Plus1 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE