New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

I had seen Mike Siravo's name floated before as a very likely addition.  I was kind of surprised when the other Carolina guys were hired that he wasn't among them.  Plus he is a linebacker coach and we seem to have hired a LB coach already.

Now I see a report listing him as the most likely name floating out there for DC.  Currently he's the Linebackers coach and Defensive Run Game Coordinator for Carolina.  He was the Recruiting Coordinator at Temple back in the day and was the Linebackers coach at Baylor.

Seems very likely to me that he's the main target for DC but may have to wait until the Panthers' season is over before leaving.

• Plus1 3
16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I had seen Mike Siravo's name floated before as a very likely addition.  I was kind of surprised when the other Carolina guys were hired that he wasn't among them.  Plus he is a linebacker coach and we seem to have hired a LB coach already.

Now I see a report listing him as the most likely name floating out there for DC.  Currently he's the Linebackers coach and Defensive Run Game Coordinator for Carolina.  He was the Recruiting Coordinator at Temple back in the day and was the Linebackers coach at Baylor.

Seems very likely to me that he's the main target for DC but may have to wait until the Panthers' season is over before leaving.

We're hiring a lot more of the Panthers staff than I expected based on Rhules comment about regretting hiring guys he didn't know. At this point it's pretty clear he was mostly talking about Joe Brady.

Did anyone bring up Fran Brown? Longtime DB coach under Rhule, now at Georgia. Sounds like it isn't him if we're talking NFL, but gotta think he'd need to go elsewhere to move up to a DC position.

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

We're hiring a lot more of the Panthers staff than I expected based on Rhules comment about regretting hiring guys he didn't know. At this point it's pretty clear he was mostly talking about Joe Brady.

I'm not following this.  If he made comments about regretting hiring guys he didn't know, he is now hiring all guys that he does know.  All the Panthers guys are guys he's worked with for a long time.

• Plus1 2

I am going to trust Rhule but so far none of these hires has been a wow. All seem like grinders who work hard and I am welcoming of that, but a lot of their history has them at places that aren't top tier programs, so are their names not big because of the places they've worked? Or are they working at those places and haven't gotten top tier program jobs for a reason? I don't know and I am just waiting to see. I've invested a ton of emotion and intrigue over the years with the hiring of these positions and I am exhausted and what I have taken from all those years of investment is you just never know. These could be the best group of coaches we have had since Osborne's crew, or they could be like Mike Riley's group which did so much with so little elsewhere, but come here and do nothing. 

I'll still stand by that I think we have hired the most qualified and established head coach since who knows when.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not following this.  If he made comments about regretting hiring guys he didn't know, he is now hiring all guys that he does know.  All the Panthers guys are guys he's worked with for a long time.

Right, I guess I assumed from his comment that he'd hired a ton of new people in Carolina. Seems like it was actually mostly guys he'd worked with before. Not an issue, I just didn't bother to look into the Panthers staff before and assumed we would not be hiring many of them. We're not hiring Brady or the OL coach (who I now assume the comments were directed toward), and looking at their offensive numbers in 20/21 I can see why Rhule would consider them mistakes.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BoNeyard said:

I am going to trust Rhule but so far none of these hires has been a wow. All seem like grinders who work hard and I am welcoming of that, but a lot of their history has them at places that aren't top tier programs, so are their names not big because of the places they've worked? Or are they working at those places and haven't gotten top tier program jobs for a reason? I don't know and I am just waiting to see. I've invested a ton of emotion and intrigue over the years with the hiring of these positions and I am exhausted and what I have taken from all those years of investment is you just never know. These could be the best group of coaches we have had since Osborne's crew, or they could be like Mike Riley's group which did so much with so little elsewhere, but come here and do nothing. 

I'll still stand by that I think we have hired the most qualified and established head coach since who knows when.

The chances that we hire assistants that we've heard of that have no previous connection to Nebraska is very small.  The guys that perhaps people have heard of - coordinators from Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. - aren't coming here for a lateral move.  

So the odds of getting a "Wow" hire for any assistant are basically zero.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

6 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Seems like he knew what he was doing when he picked a staff at Temple and Baylor.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

The chances that we hire assistants that we've heard of that have no previous connection to Nebraska is very small.  The guys that perhaps people have heard of - coordinators from Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. - aren't coming here for a lateral move.  

So the odds of getting a "Wow" hire for any assistant are basically zero.

When we hired Rhule I thought a "Wow" hire would have been Joe Brady, until I read somewhere that Rhule actually fired Brady and it seemed like the firing and the relationship between Rhule and Brady was not that great. I get no firing is good, but from what I've read it didn't come across as an understanding of business move.

1 minute ago, BoNeyard said:

When we hired Rhule I thought a "Wow" hire would have been Joe Brady, until I read somewhere that Rhule actually fired Brady and it seemed like the firing and the relationship between Rhule and Brady was not that great. I get no firing is good, but from what I've read it didn't come across as an understanding of business move.

I know people attribute a lot of LSU's success to him, but in his first OC experience with Carolina they were really terrible. Maybe he's a better fit in college, but I also think he gets more than his share of credit for LSUs insane season. I wouldn't consider him a wow hire as an OC, and yeah seems like that bridge has been burned anyway.

1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Seems like he knew what he was doing when he picked a staff at Temple and Baylor.

That is why I said I trust Rhule. But also I am keeping myself cautiously optimistic moving forward.

-Bill Callahan on paper should've been a great hire, NFL experienced coach, recruited talent, but he refused to let Cosgrove go.

-Mike Riley should've been successful here, he put together Rose Bowl contending teams at Oregon State, "Did so much with so little, imagine what he can do with Nebraska resources", had over 40 years of coaching experience, brings in a coaching staff full of experience in both college and NFL, many of which developed 2 stars and 3 stars at Oregon State.

-Frost inherits a rebuild at UCF and in his second year goes undefeated, comes back home to where he grew up and played and absolutely was the worst coach we have had in our lifetimes. 

50 minutes ago, McGuillotine said:

Man with $7 million for assistants it really seems we are settling

45 minutes ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

His friends secured the bag though. 

Rhule has a clear history of picking young, talented, under the radar hires that grow into good coaches. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 4
  • TGHusker changed the title to New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE