Arrival/Departure List 2022-23

Sam McKewon was hinting on the radio this morning that Zavier Betts could be potentially returning.  No doubt he's very talented and it's been stated by the coaches it's one of the biggest positions of need.  It be a remarkable story if he would come back and turn it around. 

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, Farms said:

Sam McKewon was hinting on the radio this morning that Zavier Betts could be potentially returning.  No doubt he's very talented and it's been stated by the coaches it's one of the biggest positions of need.  It be a remarkable story if he would come back and turn it around. 

Hadn't thought about it.  I kind of like the idea.

I actually think the risk is low.  There's so much roster turnover now.  Either he makes it or not.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Hadn't thought about it.  I kind of like the idea.

I actually think the risk is low.  There's so much roster turnover now.  Either he makes it or not.

Yep it seems like a low risk high reward as I don't really see what we have to lose.  Even if he joins the team through spring and they don't think he's a good fit it will likely put him in a better spot to transfer somewhere else.  I think he would have a really good shot at being the #1 or #2 outside receiver.  

1 hour ago, Farms said:

Now that the program is run by adults, he has a chance to flourish.  

• Plus1 6
  • TBH 1

23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If his legal troubles are behind him and he wants to walk on for a year, then take him.  But we have enough fat to trim right now w/o adding another project.

But what would it hurt to let him on for spring?  If his head is in it, he's probably one of the top WR.  If not he can transfer after spring ball and he'll be back in shape. It's kind of a win for both parties I'd think.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, Farms said:

But what would it hurt to let him on for spring?  If his head is in it, he's probably one of the top WR.  If not he can transfer after spring ball and he'll be back in shape. It's kind of a win for both parties I'd think.

UNL doesn't start 2nd semester classes until 1/23, so there is plenty of time for Betts to figure out if he wants to try and come back to the team, and if Rhule and the staff would be willing to take him back.  I agree that there isn't much risk by bringing him back in the Spring semester.  Either he does great and earns that scholarship, or he flames out again, and he doesn't count against scholarships for the fall.

4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If he doesn’t know by now, let it be.  Move on. His heart and mind are not in it obviously. His scholarship is better given to somebody who truly cares. Imo. 

This is where I'm at.  He's had his chance.  I would prefer the coaches spend their time with players that know they want to be here and are committed to it.

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That’s not the point. 

As a human, I hope he gets it figured out and is successful. 

But, as a program, we need those 19 year olds that DO have it figured out and come here ready to work. 

So you would pass up good talent for a 19 yr olds minor mistakes..??  got it...  I could see your point if we were taking armed robbery or murder.... but some academics and some weed..??    please...

• Plus1 1
  • NsideScoop changed the title to Arrival/Departure List 2022-23
  • Mavric unpinned this topic