Arrival/Departure List 2022-23

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Naw.  That's on him.  You don't want to be here, then get the hell out.  

True im mad, sad and still think OU sucks imho.  Feels like he made his decision slept on it and then went back to OU with a counter offer and a asking price or after he committed he took their phone call and things started rolling all over again. Either way this one does sting bc I really thought our line was going to look different this year with outside guys coming in and now I have to live and hope and pray that our qb doesn't get seriously hurt bc our line is a liability and a hugh question mark.

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

True im mad, sad and still think OU sucks imho.  Feels like he made his decision slept on it and then went back to OU with a counter offer and a asking price or after he committed he took their phone call and things started rolling all over again. Either way this one does sting bc I really thought our line was going to look different this year with outside guys coming in and now I have to live and hope and pray that our qb doesn't get seriously hurt bc our line is a liability and a hugh question mark.

The competition for solid o-linemen is very stiff. Every school is looking to bring in linemen who can come in and be an upgrade. Not sure what you were expecting, but NU has brought in one transfer o-lineman who is most likely going to start at Center.  Rouse would have been great, but stuff like that happens when you go after a highly sought after transfer.  The best way to build a good o-line is high school recruiting and development. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The competition for solid o-linemen is very stiff. Every school is looking to bring in linemen who can come in and be an upgrade. Not sure what you were expecting, but NU has brought in one transfer o-lineman who is most likely going to start at Center.  Rouse would have been great, but stuff like that happens when you go after a highly sought after transfer.  The best way to build a good o-line is high school recruiting and development. 

Right which I agree with you but Raiola is lacking in that department as of right now either bc of the guys he has on the team or the lack of help bringing guys in.  Doesn't mean he can't turn it around but sure feels like recruiting isn't one of his strongest points of being a coach.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'd add the best way to build a good team. Recruit guys who want to be here, develop them and win with them.  Did I mention the portal and NIL have destroyed college football.  And I have said this well before this incident.  Just a fan of honoring your commitment. Especially if a guy has played minimally at best and you are still getting that schollie....Instead of the school pulling the same stuff and kicking you off the team.  Maybe that's what schools need to do.  Don't crack the top 2?  See ya.

5 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Right which I agree with you but Raiola is lacking in that department as of right now either bc of the guys he has on the team or the lack of help bringing guys in.  Doesn't mean he can't turn it around but sure feels like recruiting isn't one of his strongest points of being a coach.

NU signed 4 offensive linemen in December. Yes, they were all from Nebraska, but I don’t think there is anything  wrong with recruiting local guys for offensive line. Now, they just need to be developed. So, you aren’t going to give Donovan credit for recruiting those guys because they are from Nebraska?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, lo country said:

I'd add the best way to build a good team. Recruit guys who want to be here, develop them and win with them.  Did I mention the portal and NIL have destroyed college football.  And I have said this well before this incident.  Just a fan of honoring your commitment. Especially if a guy has played minimally at best and you are still getting that schollie....Instead of the school pulling the same stuff and kicking you off the team.  Maybe that's what schools need to do.  Don't crack the top 2?  See ya.

They wouldn't do that of pulling schollie's bc teams would have major depth issues also coaches take chances on project guys that you know it's going to take them longer to develop but if they do then your a great coach if you can actually get something out of them.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU signed 4 offensive linemen in December. Yes, they were all from Nebraska, but I don’t think there is anything  wrong with recruiting local guys for offensive line. Now, they just need to be developed. So, you aren’t going to give Donovan credit for recruiting those guys because they are from Nebraska?

IIRC, there were rumors of he and Frost not seeing eye to eye or having issues.  Same with Austin.  I'd like to think that being on the same page and having the support of your HC and OC (who wanted to keep Railoa) should help in his recruiting ability and relationship building.  ie staff all echoing the same info/scheme/plan etc...

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

They wouldn't do that of pulling schollie's bc teams would have major depth issues also coaches take chances on project guys that you know it's going to take them longer to develop but if they do then your a great coach if you can actually get something out of them.

If kids can now leave at the drop of a hat for whatever reason, let coaches have the same leverage.  Make the kids fear be concerned about getting "cut" every year just like coaches have to be concerned with who is leaving each year.  hard to build a roster when kids can leave with no penalties.  Maybe go back to the old "sit out a year" unless there is a coaching change rule.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

If kids can now leave at the drop of a hat for whatever reason, let coaches have the same leverage.  Make the kids fear be concerned about getting "cut" every year just like coaches have to be concerned with who is leaving each year.  hard to build a roster when kids can leave with no penalties.  Maybe go back to the old "sit out a year" unless there is a coaching change rule.  

I completely agree. What’s good for the goose should be good for the gander. Commitment can’t be a one way street.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Im saying ok job with the 4 local guys he recruited not good or great.  Need better o-line man to compete against better teams.  Who even knows if any of those guys will see the field for at least 3 years.

24 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Im saying ok job with the 4 local guys he recruited not good or great.  Need better o-line man to compete against better teams.  Who even knows if any of those guys will see the field for at least 3 years.

Ok, so it sounds like you are upset with Raiola for not bringing in enough transfer o-linemen. They have brought in one (Scott), and thought they had another in Rouse. So, since Rouse was apparently blown away by OU’s NIL $, that makes Raiola a bad recruiter again. But, you are basing that opinion solely on his record with bringing in transfer o-linemen, who are the most difficult transfers to land (if they are any good). 

• Plus1 7
  • TBH 1

I think it is waaay to early to judge DR ability to recruit. He took the job in early December, so very limited time last year prior to the early signing day, when we signed most of the class. This year he signs almost all in-state linemen, which was prioritized by the staff. He did get Scott and lured Rouse away from Iowa (amazing oline program and initially OU)…. He inherited a sh!t show of oline last year and lost his two best linemen ( suspension, injury).  I will say that I was very vocal about how bad our line was last season. I am not ready to label him a poor recruiter quite yet. I think some just don’t like him (fair enough), so the recruiting is a way to pile on.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4
  • NsideScoop changed the title to Arrival/Departure List 2022-23
  • Mavric unpinned this topic