Arrival/Departure List 2022-23

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

2 million college students in the US transfer from their current school. I know many college football players aren’t “playing school”, but why should we expect/force student-athletes to stay at their first decision forever with not one “free transfer”? Many kids just make a decision that’s not right for them out of high school.  Why should we penalize student-athletes?  Also, if someone is able to “better themself” why should that be penalized?

IMHO, with the new NIL and transfer portal, I am unsure guys are really student athletes anymore.  At least as far as football goes.  They are given a financial windfall with a full ride scholarship for playing a sport.  This doesn't include all of the other benefits that include the medical care, the PT, access to the athletes lounge etc....And I don't think we are penalizing them to hold them to a contractural agreement.    

Unsure the answer, but the college athletic landscape (more so football) is in complete free fall.  UNC QB Maye and the $5 million dollar rumors,  UF potential QB in Rashada offered $13 million in NIL, A&M spending $22 million last year to its 2022 recruit class......It's an arms race that has ruined football.  Unfortunately, that train has left the station.  No idea how to get it back....

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, lo country said:

It's an arms race that has ruined football.  Unfortunately, that train has left the station.  No idea how to get it back....

Weird, I remember seeing the same amount of football in 2022 and it looked like the same football as the several years before it.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Weird, I remember seeing the same amount of football in 2022 and it looked like the same football as the several years before it.

Seriously?  You think I was referring to the actual on the field performance.  A student athlete isn't getting paid $13 million to go to a school....

• TBH 1
21 minutes ago, lo country said:

Seriously?  You think I was referring to the actual on the field performance.  A student athlete isn't getting paid $13 million to go to a school....

You said it ruined football.

What are you referring to when you say football if not the game played on the field?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

32 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

How the game is changing doesn’t hinge on the number of games or if it looks basically the same. If you’re happy with the way things are and the direction it is headed, good for you. Personally I liked the sport much better when the players and the team were synonymous.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, Lorewarn said:

You said it ruined football.

What are you referring to when you say football if not the game played on the field?

The aspect of the student athlete.  Kids staying and playing with one school.  There has always been transfers, but NIL and the portal makes the game "all about me".  Mercenaries playing for the highest bidder.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, lo country said:

I guess I am at the point where the university gives an athlete a full ride expenses all paid education.  Previously the athlete was locked into the "contract".  If they transferred, sit a year.  Now it's complete free agency.  Staff and school take a chance on a kid who then can up and leave with no warning, no reason etc...The staff expected him to stay around.  How many non- producers has NU carried year after year to be nothing but live practice players for the starters.  In this new mercenary age of college sports (football) why should the staff me mandated to keep, to be brutally honest, dead weight, that will never see the field.  When after "X" number years they have done nothing.  How many players over the roster is NU now?  Maybe players need to know that the staff can now exercise the same freedoms players can with their scholarships.  Rhule needs to flip a roster?  You 12 guys are out.  Welcome to the new age.  You "signed a contract".  Honor it.  Want to transfer after your 4 years?  Sure rock on.  But this free agency crap, no thanks. 

I’m slowly becoming more and more an nfl fan in large part because of this. And I used to not hardly ever watch the NFL.  

The NFL has structure as to how players can move from team to team.  College is just stupid.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3
33 minutes ago, lo country said:

The aspect of the student athlete.  Kids staying and playing with one school.  There has always been transfers, but NIL and the portal makes the game "all about me".  Mercenaries playing for the highest bidder.

Okay so when you say it has ruined football you mean it has ruined something other than football. 

There are at least 10,000 D1 football players any given year. This year by far having the most players in the portal ever at 3600, 63% of players are still staying put. 

Obviously it's chaotic right now, and hopefully we all come back to earth a bit in terms of sensibility with NIL and players not making poor decisions for themselves (Luke McCaffrey), but what's the actual problem here other than "It's not how we used to do it and I don't like it?"

If the influx of too much money is the problem, then NIL shouldn't be the thing you point to that "ruined football". The massive media contracts and astronomically ballooning coaching salaries were the first dominos that led us here.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
32 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Okay so when you say it has ruined football you mean it has ruined something other than football. 

There are at least 10,000 D1 football players any given year. This year by far having the most players in the portal ever at 3600, 63% of players are still staying put. 

Obviously it's chaotic right now, and hopefully we all come back to earth a bit in terms of sensibility with NIL and players not making poor decisions for themselves (Luke McCaffrey), but what's the actual problem here other than "It's not how we used to do it and I don't like it?"

If the influx of too much money is the problem, then NIL shouldn't be the thing you point to that "ruined football". The massive media contracts and astronomically ballooning coaching salaries were the first dominos that led us here.

The issue I have, I have stated multiple times.  With NIL and free agency, transfer portal, it is no longer "college" football. Feel free to continue to disagree.  I am moving on.  I don't like it.  

• Plus1 5

25 minutes ago, lo country said:

The issue I have, I have stated multiple times.  With NIL and free agency, transfer portal, it is no longer "college" football. Feel free to continue to disagree.  I am moving on.  I don't like it.  

Precisely. It is no longer “college” football. It is NFL Lite or maybe more aptly, the NFL without any caps or limits.  Some of us obviously preferred the amateur version to what it has become. For me it is cementing the NHL as my favorite sports league with CFB an ever increasingly distant 2nd place.

• Plus1 4
12 hours ago, lo country said:

I tend to side with you on this overall but am torn at times because there are hidden success stories from angles that don't get media attention.   In the age of recruiting services,  some kids end up getting placed way above their actual abilities.   My best friends son was one of them.   My friend paid thousands to boost his sons profile.  Eventually it worked and he got a great offer (for him).  Fast forward a year and both my buddies kid, and the coaches realized it wasn't going to work at that level.   He transfers to a lower level and all are happy.   No headlines made but it was a very good thing for all involved.  

• Plus1 2
  • NsideScoop changed the title to Arrival/Departure List 2022-23
14 hours ago, lo country said:

13 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Precisely. It is no longer “college” football. It is NFL Lite or maybe more aptly, the NFL without any caps or limits.  Some of us obviously preferred the amateur version to what it has become. For me it is cementing the NHL as my favorite sports league with CFB an ever increasingly distant 2nd place.

It's not college football anymore.  But...yet...players don't want any rules put in place like the NFL.  Meanwhile, they are all trying to get to the NFL.

I know that when I root for the Chiefs, I know they have certain contracts with players to have the rights to them for a certain number of years.  So, I can become a fan of a player, not just the team.  Sure, there are exceptions to maybe a player is traded...etc.  But, for instance, I know Patrick Mahomes is going to be a Chief.  I'm pretty dang sure next year, he will be back.  At some point, his contract will be up and there's a chance he would move but, I would think the Chiefs would work pretty hard to keep him.

Meanwhile, I have no idea with the Huskers which player is going to be back next year at the end of the season.  So, why become a fan of theirs?  I'm a Husker fan and want the team to do well.  But, I am not invested in the players as a fan like I used to be.

I just chuckle anymore when I see a player/recruit on twitter asking for love from the fans.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's not college football anymore.  But...yet...players don't want any rules put in place like the NFL.  Meanwhile, they are all trying to get to the NFL.

I know that when I root for the Chiefs, I know they have certain contracts with players to have the rights to them for a certain number of years.  So, I can become a fan of a player, not just the team.  Sure, there are exceptions to maybe a player is traded...etc.  But, for instance, I know Patrick Mahomes is going to be a Chief.  I'm pretty dang sure next year, he will be back.  At some point, his contract will be up and there's a chance he would move but, I would think the Chiefs would work pretty hard to keep him.

Meanwhile, I have no idea with the Huskers which player is going to be back next year at the end of the season.  So, why become a fan of theirs?  I'm a Husker fan and want the team to do well.  But, I am not invested in the players as a fan like I used to be.

I just chuckle anymore when I see a player/recruit on twitter asking for love from the fans.

I look at a guy like Palmer.  Great athlete, helped us tremendously, but it's hard to "become a fan" of a player you never "get to know".  

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, lo country said:

It hasn't been "college" football for a long time, way before NIL.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
  • Mavric unpinned this topic