Arrival/Departure List 2022-23

I've been very skeptical of being able to rebuild a team using the transfer portal, especially the OL and DL. Now that transfers a re winding down before spring ball, anyone change their mind or have a new outlook on the portal and specifically Nebraska rebuilding?

My view on the OL being difficult to rebuild through the portal has been strengthened. However, DL might be somewhat easier than OL although I still think it's difficult compared to QB or WR, which there seems to be a lot of in the portal.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I've been very skeptical of being able to rebuild a team using the transfer portal, especially the OL and DL. Now that transfers a re winding down before spring ball, anyone change their mind or have a new outlook on the portal and specifically Nebraska rebuilding?

My view on the OL being difficult to rebuild through the portal has been strengthened. However, DL might be somewhat easier than OL although I still think it's difficult compared to QB or WR, which there seems to be a lot of in the portal.

I think OL will always be challenging. For the D-line, I think big, interior d-linemen will have the most value and attractiveness in the portal. Pass rushing guys DE/OLB may be hit or miss, but they will be highly sought after if they have size and speed. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That's fair but I don't believe the transfers they have brought in are going to jump ship.  You never know when its your time to shine if a injury happens.

Why? There was a transfer who committed and then left after 4 days. There's no reason to believe the transfers are likely to stay or go - we don't know either way.

Yeah, I’d say finding a starting edge rusher through the portal will be the hardest going forward. The true game changers are not transferring and if they are, they are immediately getting scooped up by the haves. Can say what you want about Ochaun Mathis’ production here, but when we landed him last year it was major national news for a reason. 

I think we are going to continue to see G5 OLs become major portal additions for teams. I mean an All-MAC OT is probably good enough to start for every 6 win or worse team in the country and probably even for some teams that are better than that. Proven production will continue to mean more than offers a player received while in HS.

16 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Why? There was a transfer who committed and then left after 4 days. There's no reason to believe the transfers are likely to stay or go - we don't know either way.

That's true but I think the coaches are more sincere and genuine then the previous staff and the example that you used is very rare to have that happen.  Yes it does happen but very rarely.

32 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

My view has not changed on that front, you cannot rebuild lines through the transfer portal alone.  However, you can rebuild it through S&C and coaching, with existing player or transfers.  So all three of those things combined under a new staff could produce forward progress on the lines.  Basically what I am saying is if the infrastructure isn't in place to develop good lines anyway, the quality of transfers available will not make a difference.  The plug and play guys are only going to a handful of schools, so the rest must develop. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

My view has not changed on that front, you cannot rebuild lines through the transfer portal alone.  However, you can rebuild it through S&C and coaching, with existing player or transfers.  So all three of those things combined under a new staff could produce forward progress on the lines.  Basically what I am saying is if the infrastructure isn't in place to develop good lines anyway, the quality of transfers available will not make a difference.  The plug and play guys are only going to a handful of schools, so the rest must develop. 

Right and thats one of the biggest question marks surrounding the team is if Raiola is capable of doing that.

48 minutes ago, HANC said:

I think you are correct. I would expect a handful of defections after spring ball, espy on the defensive side. Some of the LB and DB

The 2 guys I could see leaving are Tommi Hill and Bonner.  Hill bc he came here as a db and switched position and doesn't have a definite role and Bonner.  Bc the whole reason why he came here in the first place MJ is gone.  From all accounts Bonner was on the brink of playing last year so if he tends to not feel that way with the addition of Betts and IGC he could feel like transferring out as well that can be another reason.

• Mavric unpinned this topic