Just for size/weight comparison:

Joel Makovicka (1998) 5’ 11” 240 lbs

Jeff Makovicka (1995) 5’ 10” 215 lbs

- both from Brainard, NE

Cory Schlesinger (1994) 6' 0" 230 lbs
-from Duncan, NE

Tom Rathman (1985) 6’ 0” 220 lbs
- from Grand Island, NE

...he's not from Georgia? Ok, I suppose. 

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Can anyone explain how we're going to deal with all these commitments from the scholorship side of things? Good problem to have obviously but are we going to cut some players before the season starts? 

Yes, it will be a combination of players deciding on their own to move on and the coaches encouraging players to move on.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Can anyone explain how we're going to deal with all these commitments from the scholorship side of things? Good problem to have obviously but are we going to cut some players before the season starts? 

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, it will be a combination of players deciding on their own to move on and the coaches encouraging players to move on.

And I imagine the players that will be encouraged to move on are already aware - some may want the chance to prove themselves in spring ball, and many can use the spring semester to put themselves in a better position academically to transfer. There was less roster turnover right away than I expected, but that just means more of it will happen during the spring. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

And I imagine the players that will be encouraged to move on are already aware - some may want the chance to prove themselves in spring ball, and many can use the spring semester to put themselves in a better position academically to transfer. There was less roster turnover right away than I expected, but that just means more of it will happen during the spring. 

Agree with everything you say.

• Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

If you’re one of the 18 QBs we have that has played very little to not at all and were recruited by Scotty you should be looking at alternatives because you gone.  

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

101 ... and counting!!!  :koolaid2:

At this point, I am just interested to see what the number gets to. I feel like we still have a few more. 105 feels obtainable.

Rhule and co are going to have to have some hard conversations with kids but I think that is just part of the deal. Some will naturally move on and some might be asked to move on. 

Rhules interview on Bussin' made me a bit less worried because while they might move on some from kids, I do feel like they are going to handle it the best they can while still explaining that they need to put the best team on the field. 

I think people are making this harder than it is.  Spring should be pretty telling.  If I'm a coach and get to see kids go through practice and then look at how I think my current depth chart will look and then see a bunch of kids who are at the bottom and if they were at the bottom from years past on teams that only won 3 games I would politely ask them to enter the portal.  Its not like the Huskers have been winning 10 games a year and are stacked with talent.  

5 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think people are making this harder than it is.  Spring should be pretty telling.  If I'm a coach and get to see kids go through practice and then look at how I think my current depth chart will look and then see a bunch of kids who are at the bottom and if they were at the bottom from years past on teams that only won 3 games I would politely ask them to enter the portal.  Its not like the Huskers have been winning 10 games a year and are stacked with talent.  

I don't see why a coach can't do that in today's college environment.  Players can leave and transfer at any point...and they do.  I'm over feeling sorry for guys who don't develop into a contributor being told their scholarship isn't there anymore.  These guys have had football careers and a chance to play at Nebraska that thousands of kids their age would love to do, but were told the same thing....you're not good enough.  So, take the fun you did have and time to move on.  The goal of the program is to win games.  If a player isn't contributing to that, the coach needs the ability to find guys that can.  That player's disappointment is no different than the kid that absolutely loved football, but ended up sitting the bench in HS.  It's part of sports.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Exactly !  Most of this will shake out by itself.  Probably about 95% of the players actually "want" to play football.  Once they see that they are buried, they will leave to find a home where they can play.  A select few will be "happy" just being a Husker.  I doubt that Rhule will have to be the "bad guy" and pull a ton of scholarships. There will be a lot of guys jump into the portal in the spring..... funny thing is that some are really worried now about having too many players and then others will worry about players entering the portal.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric unpinned this topic