Arrival/Departure List 2022-23

3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think people are making this harder than it is.  Spring should be pretty telling.  If I'm a coach and get to see kids go through practice and then look at how I think my current depth chart will look and then see a bunch of kids who are at the bottom and if they were at the bottom from years past on teams that only won 3 games I would politely ask them to enter the portal.  Its not like the Huskers have been winning 10 games a year and are stacked with talent.  

Nebraska has talent.  The problem is either the previous staff wasn't good enough to bring out the potential of kids or the kid themselves didn't work hard enough to put himself in the position to succeed.  What happens if kids have the right coach in Matt Rhule and the kids that are bottom of the depth chart make a impact in practice then that's going to be harder to cut the roster down.  Example NPG hasn't made the kinda impact you thought when you brought him here.  Yes I know that has to do with his injury but he has been buried.  What happens if he goes through winter conditioning and a new coach and he excels?  Just a possibility.

2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Nebraska has talent.  The problem is either the previous staff wasn't good enough to bring it out the potential of kids or the kid themselves didn't work hard enough to put himself in the position to succeed.  What happens if kids have the right coach in Matt Rhule and the kids that are bottom of the depth chart make a impact in practice then that's going to be harder to cut the roster down.  Example NPG hasn't made the kinda impact you thought when you brought him here.  Yes I know that has to do with his injury but he has been buried.  What happens if he goes through winter conditioning and a new coach and he excels?  Just a possibility.

If he excels and beats out someone else, then the other guy needs to be worried about being asked to move on.

4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Nebraska has talent.  The problem is either the previous staff wasn't good enough to bring out the potential of kids or the kid themselves didn't work hard enough to put himself in the position to succeed.  What happens if kids have the right coach in Matt Rhule and the kids that are bottom of the depth chart make a impact in practice then that's going to be harder to cut the roster down.  Example NPG hasn't made the kinda impact you thought when you brought him here.  Yes I know that has to do with his injury but he has been buried.  What happens if he goes through winter conditioning and a new coach and he excels?  Just a possibility.

I'm not saying there isn't talent but we aren't deep with talent.  Also that's why I mentioned spring.  Gives everyone a fair shake and a chance to prove themselves.  Also if you listen to the Bussin with the Boys podcast you will hear Head Coach of the Nebraska football team Matthew Kenneth Rhule talk about his time at Temple.  They weren't winning with the guys they had previous so he started playing as many freshman as he could.  NPG has been in the system what 4 yrs now?  He probably isn't going to contribute this year and probably better to cut him lose than a younger guy with potential.  

2 hours ago, HANC said:

Exactly !  Most of this will shake out by itself.  Probably about 95% of the players actually "want" to play football.  Once they see that they are buried, they will leave to find a home where they can play.  A select few will be "happy" just being a Husker.  I doubt that Rhule will have to be the "bad guy" and pull a ton of scholarships. There will be a lot of guys jump into the portal in the spring..... funny thing is that some are really worried now about having too many players and then others will worry about players entering the portal.

But what if too many jump into the portal in the spring :ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

Seriously though, worrying about it either way is useless. They will get down to the limit because there is no other choice.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly.  And, there's always a chance that some of our new recruits won't qualify academically.

Also, I wonder how many might be persuaded to move to walk on status just to be a part of the team and 're-earn' that  scholarship.  I also wonder if NIL will take the place of some scholarships for those players who are borderline - have potential but not ready to be a part of the rotation.   

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Also, I wonder how many might be persuaded to move to walk on status just to be a part of the team and 're-earn' that  scholarship.  I also wonder if NIL will take the place of some scholarships for those players who are borderline - have potential but not ready to be a part of the rotation.   

You can't recruit players under the assumption they will be on full-scholarship when the kids enroll and then take away that scholarship and make them enroll as a walk-on and pay their own way.  The National Letter of Intent (not to be confused with NIL $) guarantees a player's right for that scholarship for one academic year.

https://www.ncsasports.org/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-national-letter-of-intent#:~:text=Basically%2C the NLI provides security,from pursuing a student athlete.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

It's going to be fascinating to watch, how they get to the 85, but yeah a couple of assumptions- the 'it's a 4 year scholarship' guys, perhaps Tyreke Johnson and Hunter Anthony here, being outside of that window. There's always the potential for a recruit or two not to show up- Branson Yager from a couple of years ago (he was here but...? Don't know the end of that tale.). Also, looking at some of these recent classes... so many guys that weren't there after year 1 or 2, so going to be plenty of attrition. Ending on Bell seems like a good idea, though- the notes on Lefotu do seem accurate, probably not an upgrade over what we have. Will be interesting!! (And yeah maybe another lineman later on too but... confident it will all work out! It has to!!)

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You can't recruit players under the assumption they will be on full-scholarship when the kids enroll and then take away that scholarship and make them enroll as a walk-on and pay their own way.  The National Letter of Intent (not to be confused with NIL $) guarantees a player's right for that scholarship for one academic year.

https://www.ncsasports.org/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-national-letter-of-intent#:~:text=Basically%2C the NLI provides security,from pursuing a student athlete.

No. You say, hey Casey Thompson, You're a star man. To keep you here, our NIL agreement is going to give you NIL groups are going to get you $250,000. But, we need you to give up your scholarship. You'll still get all same benefits being on the team as far as academic help, access to the training table, and everything else. So, all you'll be giving up is the $25,000 a year scholarship benefit. Doing so will help us recruit new talent that will give you a better chance to succeed/ a higher probability of getting a combine invite and make the team better as whole so we can have more success. If you pay for schooling yourself, you're still going to be netting $225,000 per year take home. What do you think, can you make that sacrifice for the team?

12 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

No. You say, hey Casey Thompson, You're a star man. To keep you here, our NIL agreement is going to give you NIL groups are going to get you $250,000. But, we need you to give up your scholarship. You'll still get all same benefits being on the team as far as academic help, access to the training table, and everything else. So, all you'll be giving up is the $25,000 a year scholarship benefit. Doing so will help us recruit new talent that will give you a better chance to succeed/ a higher probability of getting a combine invite and make the team better as whole so we can have more success. If you pay for schooling yourself, you're still going to be netting $225,000 per year take home. What do you think, can you make that sacrifice for the team?

I get what you’re saying and I think it could be arranged but I’m not sure any coach or University rep can be involved in that discussion, just like they can’t talk NIL dollars with the players. It’s a fine point that I’m sure could have a work around but I don’t think the school could do that type of bargaining directly.

I don’t really like where that leads. Basically teams with enough NIL dollars wouldn’t have to award any scholarships. They could simply buy the players. Of course, as wide open and unregulated as things are currently….

• Mavric unpinned this topic