Arrival/Departure List 2022-23

Pure speculation, but…

Those that are buried on the depth chart may find that they have earned a scholarship to play at the University of Nebraska at Kearney (now led by Frost’s former RB Coach, Ryan Held). All their credits would transfer & (especially if they are from the area) it would keep them in State & likely within range for family to get to games. Danny Woodhead had a successful NFL career after playing at Chadron State (formerly in the same league as UNK) so a kid can still dream…

Rhule seemed very cognizant of Held’s Twitter account for some reason.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

A lot of transfers from D1 programs end up at lower levels. 

Lower level, sure. But wouldn’t UNK be considered a few levels lower? I actually don’t know but my thought is it’s too much lower for it being discussed as some sort of alternate path for our players. Is UNK even classified as DII or DIII, NAIA….anything?

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

Pure speculation, but…

Those that are buried on the depth chart may find that they have earned a scholarship to play at the University of Nebraska at Kearney (now led by Frost’s former RB Coach, Ryan Held). All their credits would transfer & (especially if they are from the area) it would keep them in State & likely within range for family to get to games. Danny Woodhead had a successful NFL career after playing at Chadron State (formerly in the same league as UNK) so a kid can still dream…

Rhule seemed very cognizant of Held’s Twitter account for some reason.

Woodhead ended up in the NFL because he’s Woodhead.  If you’re not cutting it at Nebraska, you’re likely not cutting it in the NFL.

You transfer down to play, not to get to the league.

• Plus1 1

Just now, JJ Husker said:

Lower level, sure. But wouldn’t UNK be considered a few levels lower? I actually don’t know but my thought is it’s too much lower for it being discussed as some sort of alternate path for our players. Is UNK even classified as DII or DIII, NAIA….anything?

UNK is D-2. They are a level below the FCS teams, but not the worst level out there. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

UNK is D-2. They are a level below the FCS teams, but not the worst level out there. 

Thank you. Do you think UNK is a viable path for enough of our former players to be a subject of discussion?

My point was, if we have many go that route, it would seem we had miserably failed at evaluating and recruiting.

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Thank you. Do you think UNK is a viable path for enough of our former players to be a subject of discussion?

My point was, if we have many go that route, it would seem we had miserably failed at evaluating and recruiting.

I understood your point, and it made 100% sense. If there are a number of scholarships players to go from NU to UNK, then there is a problem with identifying, evaluating, and recruiting talent out of high school. Even if we have a lot of walk-ons who go the UNK route instead of plenty of nearby FCS schools, then why are those walk-ons at NU in the first place? 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Once they leave Nebraska, I really don’t care where they end up.  

• TBH 2
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Once they leave Nebraska, I really don’t care where they end up.  

I don’t care where they end up either but if we have significant numbers ending up at UNK then it would signal a pretty serious problem with the job Nebraska is doing evaluating and recruiting. Sorry but it just struck me as an unrealistic tangent and unworthy of being considered.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t care where they end up either but if we have significant numbers ending up at UNK then it would signal a pretty serious problem with the job Nebraska is doing evaluating and recruiting. Sorry but it just struck me as an unrealistic tangent and unworthy of being considered.

Sure….if we are continually feeding UNK. They are Division 2. So one level lower than FCS.  

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

No. You say, hey Casey Thompson, You're a star man. To keep you here, our NIL agreement is going to give you NIL groups are going to get you $250,000. But, we need you to give up your scholarship. You'll still get all same benefits being on the team as far as academic help, access to the training table, and everything else. So, all you'll be giving up is the $25,000 a year scholarship benefit. Doing so will help us recruit new talent that will give you a better chance to succeed/ a higher probability of getting a combine invite and make the team better as whole so we can have more success. If you pay for schooling yourself, you're still going to be netting $225,000 per year take home. What do you think, can you make that sacrifice for the team?

I don’t think walkons get the same access to meal plans and other support services. I recall watching a show/documentary following walkons and the young man couldn’t sit at the training table all year like the scholly players and had to buy his own food. Maybe that has changed or maybe the gap wasn’t as big as the show made it out to be, I would be interested to know what walkons can and can have access to.

• Mavric unpinned this topic