Think about it…..

55 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Probably one of the grittiest performances by an I-back husker lore.  Everyone knew he was going to get the ball and the option was pretty much off the table.  Right up the gut and he wouldn't be denied.  But the oline deserved a lot of the credit that day too.  

Osborne won a lot of games in the 70s with average QBs until Turner Gill showed up.  He took things to a different level and then the same thing happened when Tommie took over.  But still the oline was always stout.  

I wouldn't call Vince Ferragamo or Dave Humm average and I wouldn't call Jerry Tagge from the 70/71 National Title teams average either when Osborne was the OC under Devaney.

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

It's only the most important position if you have a decent line. Without it, any QB will struggle. 

Didn’t I say that a quality offense line was important in the message you replied to:dunno

But make no mistake, a really good QB makes up for quite a few deficiency’s in a team.  It is the most important position on the team and why they get paid the most in the NFL.   The message I replied to said we didn’t need to recruit QB’s and WR’s.   That’s just wrong. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Didn’t I say that a quality offense line was important in the message you replied to:dunno

But make no mistake, a really good QB makes up for quite a few deficiency’s in a team.  It is the most important position on the team and why they get paid the most in the NFL.   The message I replied to said we didn’t need to recruit QB’s and WR’s.   That’s just wrong. 

You have to walk before you can run is what I'm saying.  We can worry about high profile QB and WR recruits only after we have a line.  We are arguing over semantics here.  Cheers. :cheers

10 minutes ago, LennynSquiggy said:

If you weren't talking about those guys, who were you talking about? The guys I mentioned, collectively, played throughout most of the 70's.

Terry Luck in 1975 before Ferragamo took over.  1977 through 1980 with Randy Garcia, Tom Sorley, Jeff Quinn 

He went four years, went 38-10 and was in the hunt for the  national championship a couple of times until late in the season.  I'd take that now in a heartbeat.    

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Terry Luck in 1975 before Ferragamo took over.  1977 through 1980 with Randy Garcia, Tom Sorley, Jeff Quinn 

He went four years, went 38-10 and was in the hunt for the  national championship a couple of times until late in the season.  I'd take that now in a heartbeat.    

I'd say Luck was a disappointment, Sorley wasn't NFl material but imo was better than average. Garcia and Quinn I would agree with being average for college quarterbacks.

Thanks for the follow up. :)

Just now, LennynSquiggy said:

I'd say Luck was a disappointment, Sorley wasn't NFl material but imo was better than average. Garcia and Quinn I would agree with being average for college quarterbacks.

Thanks for the follow up. :)

Also, I'm not diminishing the need for excellent quarterback play especially in today's game but if I had to choose between great line play with average QB play vs average line play with great QB play I'll take the former every time.  But I'm also Run the Damn Ball guy.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, lo country said:

I'll add that both the guys you mentioned, went to great teams.  NU had/has neither the talent nor coaching staff that, IMHO, would have made either Burrow or Duggan look good.  Frost wasn't the only NU coach to pass on Burrow.  

On another note, watching Utah completely dismantle USC gives me hope that the right coach and staff can get us back to winning.  Dies there DC have ties to Rhule:D

USC has supposedly every advantage a football program could want.

Utah is at least as cold as Nebraska, Salt Lake City is actually less hip than Lincoln, the recruiting radius is worse for the Utes, and the facilities and fanbase aren't even close. 

So yeah, Utah is a perfect example of what good coaches can do instead of making excuses. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Utah is at least as cold as Nebraska, Salt Lake City is actually less hip than Lincoln, the recruiting radius is worse for the Utes, and the facilities and fanbase aren't even close. 

So yeah, Utah is a perfect example of what good coaches can do instead of making excuses. 

Utah and KSU truly give me hope.  I'd think (heavily biased:D) that we have every advantage over both save winning.  Better or equal coaching is yet to be seen.  But I'd love to look like either of those right now...

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Utah and KSU truly give me hope.  I'd think (heavily biased:D) that we have every advantage over both save winning.  Better or equal coaching is yet to be seen.  But I'd love to look like either of those right now...

Yeah, I just heard about the TCU game and realized Manhattan, Kansas isn't making any excuses either 

• TBH 1
17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The recruiting radius is worse for the Utes?  No.

The state of Utah puts out more than twice the number of 4* football players as Nebraska.  Las Vegas is in Utah's radius, which also puts out more 4* football players as a city than Nebraska as a state.....and California is just outside the 500 mile radius.

23 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The recruiting radius is worse for the Utes?  No.

The state of Utah puts out more than twice the number of 4* football players as Nebraska.  Las Vegas is in Utah's radius, which also puts out more 4* football players as a city than Nebraska as a state.....and California is just outside the 500 mile radius.

Per 247 "their best class 2022" ranked 80th....Previous years in the 90's and 100's....They can't and don't recruit better.  They DEVELOP better.  That's the model NU needs to copy.  And KSU.

Utah's recruiting area is way better (500 miles radius), but they are not getting the top guys.  

https://247sports.com/college/utah-state/Season/2023-Football/Commits/