Think about it…..

Just now, lo country said:

Per 247 "their best class 2022" ranked 80th....Previous years in the 90's and 100's....They can't and don't recruit better.  They DEVELOP better.  That's the model NU needs to copy.  And KSU.

Utah's recruiting area is way better (500 miles radius), but they are not getting the top guys.  

https://247sports.com/college/utah-state/Season/2023-Football/Commits/

Utah's recruiting radius being better than Nebraska's was the point I was responding to.  Thanks.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lo country said:

Per 247 "their best class 2022" ranked 80th....Previous years in the 90's and 100's....They can't and don't recruit better.  They DEVELOP better.  That's the model NU needs to copy.  And KSU.

Utah's recruiting area is way better (500 miles radius), but they are not getting the top guys.  

https://247sports.com/college/utah-state/Season/2023-Football/Commits/

First off, you sure you got the right school there mate????  Your link says otherwise

Secondly, Utah is all about Poly Swag,  Also it doesn't hurt a lot of their players are older as a lot do missions before enrolling.

Counter arguement for the Vegas thing is KC metro/St. Louis metro which is better than Vegas IMO

• Haha 1

Salt Lake City is as far away from Los Angeles as Lincoln Nebraska is from Dallas, as far away from Las Vegas as Lincoln is from Chicago.

Whether it's culture or physical distance, you don't look at Salt Lake City and envy it as a recruiting hotbed. Every disadvantage we lay at the feet of Lincoln Nebraska could be made for the University of Utah (ever buy alcohol in Salt Lake City?) which has managed to turn low-ranked recruiting classes into a respected NFL pipeline while beating up on Pac 12 schools that have the recruiting advantages we actually do envy.

If I went too far declaring Utah's recruiting radius as "worse" I apologize. The spirit of the post is that Utah is similar enough to draw inspiration and hope.

Why you go hatin' on hope, TheSker?   

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

First off, you sure you got the right school there mate????  Your link says otherwise

Secondly, Utah is all about Poly Swag,  Also it doesn't hurt a lot of their players are older as a lot do missions before enrolling.

Counter arguement for the Vegas thing is KC metro/St. Louis metro which is better than Vegas IMO

Appreciate it brother!!!

Correct UTAH.  Nothing out of the 30's.  Still stand that they simply DEVELOP.  

https://247sports.com/college/utah/Season/2023-Football/Commits/

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Appreciate it brother!!!

Correct UTAH.  Nothing out of the 30's.  Still stand that they simply DEVELOP.  

https://247sports.com/college/utah/Season/2023-Football/Commits/

All good my man.  Saw your numbers, knew something wasn't right, clicked the link and went "lo country, my bro, what have you done:facepalm:"

But your point of development stands correct.  Something that has been missing here for about what 8-9 years.  

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Salt Lake City is as far away from Los Angeles as Lincoln Nebraska is from Dallas, as far away from Las Vegas as Lincoln is from Chicago.

Whether it's culture or physical distance, you don't look at Salt Lake City and envy it as a recruiting hotbed. Every disadvantage we lay at the feet of Lincoln Nebraska could be made for the University of Utah (ever buy alcohol in Salt Lake City?) which has managed to turn low-ranked recruiting classes into a respected NFL pipeline while beating up on Pac 12 schools that have the recruiting advantages we actually do envy.

If I went too far declaring Utah's recruiting radius as "worse" I apologize. The spirit of the post is that Utah is similar enough to draw inspiration and hope.

I erroneously posted wrong Utah.  But as you mentioned, our facilities, fan base, NIL, name recognitions etc are much  better than Utah.  And KSU.  Both have gotten coaches that can maximize their talent they do get in. That's Rhule's calling card at two previous spots.  And taking over for Briles is MUCH worse than taking over for Frost. Of course Kyle is on like year 18 there and Klieman year 4 IIRC.  I'm optimistic we will be better year 1.  But that's not syaing much tbh.

2 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

All good my man.  Saw your numbers, knew something wasn't right, clicked the link and went "lo country, my bro, what have you done:facepalm:"

But your point of development stands correct.  Something that has been missing here for about what 8-9 years.  

And it's not even a Husker game day.  No real distractions:D

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Obviously I hope Rhule can get it done 

But we see quite a bit on here how many advantages Nebraska has.

....and sometimes it just ain't true.

4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

One advantage we have lost the past 8 years (I liked Bo so I won't lump him in) is winning, the bowl games (and practices that come with them) and a staff capable of development.  Just seems like some of our highly touted recruits did well until 2-3 years in the program.  Kind of peaked their 1st year.  And too your point, all of these "perceived" advantages have yet to pay off...You can't put enough polish on a turd after 6 losing seasons and make it shine....

I think for the guys available, that we would want or would want us, Rhule checks a lot of the boxes.  Still want to see the complete staff.  

6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Hey, I thought we were talking about all the disadvantages Nebraska has. 

Other than nice facilities and a loyal but increasingly prickly fanbase, I've been seeing almost nothing about Nebraska's advantages on HB.

Utah, Kansas State and others simply suggest we stop whining about our disadvantages because they clearly can be overcome. 

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

One advantage we have lost the past 8 years (I liked Bo so I won't lump him in) is winning, the bowl games (and practices that come with them) and a staff capable of development.  Just seems like some of our highly touted recruits did well until 2-3 years in the program.  Kind of peaked their 1st year.  And too your point, all of these "perceived" advantages have yet to pay off...You can't put enough polish on a turd after 6 losing seasons and make it shine....

I think for the guys available, that we would want or would want us, Rhule checks a lot of the boxes.  Still want to see the complete staff.  

Very much agree on the bowl practices lost.

I'm good with the Rhule hire....I just don't consider his resume to be "elite".

I don't know as much as most others about strength and conditioning, but in hindsight I think it was an issue and look forward to seeing how that change helps.

19 minutes ago, TheSker said:

It's possible for Nebraska to have advantages in some areas and disadvantages in other areas.

That doesn't seem too hard to comprehend.

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Utah, Kansas State and others simply suggest we stop whining about our disadvantages because they clearly can be overcome. 

Completely agree. We should do better than teams like this but we haven’t built like they have. Take things like special teams, abysmal last several years. Or an identity on defense which we haven’t done. If we could have focused and developed some toughness and soundness just in those two areas we would have gone bowling a few times. We put all of our chips on a couple offensive players and it has not served us well. If we would have built around them at least there would be something to build upon but Rhule has to start it over, not easy and likely why Trev centered on him as the guy for rebuilding and a long contract.

30 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Very much agree on the bowl practices lost.

I'm good with the Rhule hire....I just don't consider his resume to be "elite".

I don't know as much as most others about strength and conditioning, but in hindsight I think it was an issue and look forward to seeing how that change helps.

Never really think about the lost bowl practices, but NU now has the longest bowl drought at 6. So guys who were super seniors have missed out on roughly 60-75 practices....That's almost as if being in the program for 2 additional years. Iowa, Wisky, Michigan, Ohio St and others in the B1G got them.  Huge advantage for sure.  Gotta get back to wining and it fixes some issues.  

23 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Completely agree. We should do better than teams like this but we haven’t built like they have. Take things like special teams, abysmal last several years. Or an identity on defense which we haven’t done. If we could have focused and developed some toughness and soundness just in those two areas we would have gone bowling a few times. We put all of our chips on a couple offensive players and it has not served us well. If we would have built around them at least there would be something to build upon but Rhule has to start it over, not easy and likely why Trev centered on him as the guy for rebuilding and a long contract.

I think this is so true.  What is our identity?  Culture?  Scheme? I haven't known for years tbh.  Rhule needs to start with establishing the "who we are", before anything else. Build the identity/culture and recruit/develop to that....

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1