Think about it…..

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think this is so true.  What is our identity?  Culture?  Scheme? I haven't known for years tbh.  Rhule needs to start with establishing the "who we are", before anything else. Build the identity/culture and recruit/develop to that....

The we’re Nebraska with a history of success isn’t going to work. It’s about relationships and what kind of legacy we want to leave now. Our identity is about development. Not just in football but for life. And toughnesses. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

Think about it. Nick Saban as a college football head coach had great success, went to the NFL, didn't have success, then came back to college football and has won a bunch of natty's since. Matt Rhule as a college football head coach had great success, then went to the NFL, didn't have success, then came back to college football...

We're gonna need some bigger trophy cases. 

• Oh Yeah! 2
Just now, NebraskaHarry said:

Think about it. Nick Saban as a college football head coach had great success, went to the NFL, didn't have success, then came back to college football and has won a bunch of natty's since. Matt Rhule as a college football head coach had great success, then went to the NFL, didn't have success, then came back to college football...

We're gonna need some bigger trophy cases. 

Holy $%^*, Both Nick Saban and Matt Rhule have the same number of letters in their names.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

How many "elite" coaches are there?

The most elite coaches are obviously already employed, operating dynasties, and not coming here.

Urban Meyer and Chris Petersen? I mean, it's worth asking but it looks like they're not open for business either, regardless of the school. 

So that leaves the pool of coaches everyone was circling around for this cycle of college HC hires;  various guys with HC experience at smaller schools, Coordinator experience at bigger schools, and 6-6 records at schools who consider that a breakthrough. 

You'd have to say Rhule was among the elite of those available, and I think the mere fact that Trev Alberts got and paid for him is a step in the direction of restoring respectability. Don't know what happens next, but I didn't consider anyone a slam dunk hire, not even Urban Meyer. I also think a hungry if less experienced coach could have turned things around. You never know. 

Lotsa folks here mocked the early Deion Sanders chatter as ludicrous, but the people in Boulder have every reason to be excited, too. That should be an interesting early season match-up next year. 

Modern day college football is more about recruiting than development.  There is one thing Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, OSU all have in common before one hour of practice even begins.  Deon just got hired as the CU head coach and already there are reports that he has landed a 5 star.  We may have a great developer in Rhule, but recruiting will always out pace development any day of the week.  Deon is a recruiting machine that will never stop.  Rhule just came from the NFL where spending time away from family to get a player never happens unless it is draft day.  I have a bad feeling about this.

Nebraska has gone soft when we should of gone hard.  Went quiet when we should have been loud.  Rolled the dice when we should of been conservative.  And now been conservative when we should of rolled the dice.  We just cannot get out of our own way. 

1 hour ago, Rhuletheday said:

Modern day college football is more about recruiting than development.  There is one thing Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, OSU all have in common before one hour of practice even begins. 

Programs that develop well but don't recruit well still occasionally win conference championships and have top 15 finishes (Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas State, Utah)

For examples of programs that recruit well but don't develop well... look at 5-7 Texas A&M this year and 5-7 Texas in 2010.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Programs that develop well but don't recruit well still occasionally win conference championships and have top 15 finishes (Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas State, Utah)

For examples of programs that recruit well but don't develop well... look at 5-7 Texas A&M this year and 5-7 Texas in 2010.

Let’s do well at recruiting and development. How about that!

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Rhuletheday said:

Modern day college football is more about recruiting than development.  There is one thing Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, OSU all have in common before one hour of practice even begins.  Deon just got hired as the CU head coach and already there are reports that he has landed a 5 star.  We may have a great developer in Rhule, but recruiting will always out pace development any day of the week.  Deon is a recruiting machine that will never stop.  Rhule just came from the NFL where spending time away from family to get a player never happens unless it is draft day.  I have a bad feeling about this.

Nebraska has gone soft when we should of gone hard.  Went quiet when we should have been loud.  Rolled the dice when we should of been conservative.  And now been conservative when we should of rolled the dice.  We just cannot get out of our own way. 

1. It’s Deion 

2. can u spell out what they all have in common? I’m not quite sure the connection.  If u objectively look at the last 10 years there is Bama (greatest run ever) and then Clemson (back to back elite generational talents at qb in Watson and Lawrence). And then everyone else. Michigan hasn’t done a thing. Ohio state won once, close to 10 years ago, and Georgia isn’t the juggernaut Bama has been though they’re staking their claim 

2 hours ago, Rhuletheday said:

This was the lure of Deion, your recruiting goes way up but how does he do with no coaching in a major conference, player development, in game  management, X and O’s, is his staff legit, etc. Whoever got Deion was going to change the culture and get an immediate excitement boost. I would have been fine with Deion too. Rhule has really got to show his chops out of the gate. The off season game is recruiting.  This is his first big game to win. We need to do very well because we are building the foundations here and need really good materials that will build us back to where everyone wants us to be. While we need to trust the process I will trust it much more if we recruit well and win the battles against other schools. Rhule and his staff needs to have kids choose us over other programs, whether high school or portal. Let’s go. The time is now!

• TBH 1