Nebrasketball @ Creighton

Mavric

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That was so much fun, let’s do it again Wednesday and Saturday.  

That'd be so amazing.  We handed Creighton their 3rd loss in a row after they got beat by Texas and Arizona, but it's still a freaky great win for us for a lot of reasons.  Road win at Indiana would lead up to a monster night at home against ranked Purdue!

Was out and about last night and watched the game on replay--loved how the officials really called things loose and allowed the game to happen (unlike, say, our game vs. Baylor in the NCAA Tourney with Miles and an official who made every game he oversaw about him). 

Kids fought hard, love the defensive look of this team, love how gritty they played. Not sure if Creighton deserved to be #7 (or Top 25 TBH), but it's always a great day when DoNU shows up against Creighton, regardless of the sport. 

My concern going forward is how much of this win was Creighton just not being as good as advertised, and how much of this was the kids scrapping and hustling. I really hope it's the latter, and we'll find out soon enough. A tough, defensive-minded attitude and gameplan will (hopefully) go far for this team in the B1G. 

24 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Was out and about last night and watched the game on replay--loved how the officials really called things loose and allowed the game to happen (unlike, say, our game vs. Baylor in the NCAA Tourney with Miles and an official who made every game he oversaw about him). 

Kids fought hard, love the defensive look of this team, love how gritty they played. Not sure if Creighton deserved to be #7 (or Top 25 TBH), but it's always a great day when DoNU shows up against Creighton, regardless of the sport. 

My concern going forward is how much of this win was Creighton just not being as good as advertised, and how much of this was the kids scrapping and hustling. I really hope it's the latter, and we'll find out soon enough. A tough, defensive-minded attitude and gameplan will (hopefully) go far for this team in the B1G. 

I think Creighton has a top 20-ish team, but they haven't adjusted to being "the hunted" vs being "hunters".  I think even though they've had the better team recently, the still haven't thought of themselves as "the hunted" against NU.

I hope they don't have a big let down Wednesday against Indiana.

29 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I'm guessing some of both.  However, the defensive intensity and rebounding is all on Nebraska.  There have been a lot of games over the last few years where, even if Creighton wasn't as good as advertised, we still lose this game.  Nebraska is playing better than they have in a very long time.

Now, take it on the road against Indiana and prove it's not just an enigma.  

Gee....wonder when the last time was that both the men's and women's teams beat top 20 opponents on the road on the same day.

• Fire 1

31 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

They shot the ball bad against TX & AZ.  Both top 10 teams and lost by 10 to 15.  Creighton is a good team, just not top 10.  Good win for the Huskers.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm guessing some of both.  However, the defensive intensity and rebounding is all on Nebraska.  There have been a lot of games over the last few years where, even if Creighton wasn't as good as advertised, we still lose this game.  Nebraska is playing better than they have in a very long time.

Now, take it on the road against Indiana and prove it's not just an enigma.  

Gee....wonder when the last time was that both the men's and women's teams beat top 20 opponents on the road on the same day.

Team basketball & confidence!  Hopefully this is a winning combination.

33 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I think we mainly got lucky and caught Creighton on a night where they shot 3s like we usually do.

Not to take anything away from how hard we played.  But if they shoot their season average on 3s it's a completely different game.  And they had a ton of open looks.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think we mainly got lucky and caught Creighton on a night where they shot 3s like we usually do.

Not to take anything away from how hard we played.  But if they shoot their season average on 3s it's a completely different game.  And they had a ton of open looks.

True.  But, how much of that was Nebraska disrupting what they really wanted to do on offense?  Meanwhile, it seemed like we could do whatever we wanted with the ball most of the game.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I honestly don't think Creighton is as good of a shooting team as they thought they were to begin the season. The rims in Maui are notoriously soft and shooter-friendly. Regardless, no team other than the Warriors should be shooting 40 3s, so that's on McDermott. 

• Haha 1