Nebrasketball @ Creighton

Mavric

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

True.  But, how much of that was Nebraska disrupting what they really wanted to do on offense?  Meanwhile, it seemed like we could do whatever we wanted with the ball most of the game.

We did a nice job of doubling the post and scrambling.  We definitely had an effect.  But, again, they had a to of open looks when we got caught out of position.  They could have easily made 3-4 more that would have changed the game.  Most of the time they do.  That's why we were about #262 in the country in 3-point FG% allowed before yesterday.

And I think "most of the game" is quite the stretch for what we could do on offense.  We turned it into a rock fight, which is what we have to do.  We score 17 points in a 16+ minute span between 9:42 in the first half and 12:07 of the second.  That's not going to get it done most of the time.

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We did a nice job of doubling the post and scrambling.  We definitely had an effect.  But, again, they had a to of open looks when we got caught out of position.  They could have easily made 3-4 more that would have changed the game.  Most of the time they do.  That's why we were about #262 in the country in 3-point FG% allowed before yesterday.

And I think "most of the game" is quite the stretch for what we could do on offense.  We turned it into a rock fight, which is what we have to do.  We score 17 points in a 16+ minute span between 9:42 in the first half and 12:07 of the second.  That's not going to get it done most of the time.

I like stats, but early in the year some do not mean much for a young team.  These guys are still learning to play with each other.  Just my opinion, but I think we will continue to get better offensively & defensively.  And yes, I think Creighton was over rated!

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Some fair assessment and some not as fair. I will agree that offensive output is not going to cut it, but there is no question we game planned this game that way. Can we find offense when we need it in future games? Time will tell. 

That said, this game was coached to knock CU out of what they wanted to do. Running with them was never going to result in a W for us. To say the defense was helped by missed 3's is a bit unfair as, time after time, we ran them LATE into the shot clock. That was the game plan, so it isn't fair to say they missed a lot of those "forced shots" so we were lucky.  Those shots were missed because of the working man's D we chose to play this game. 

The gamble w/ the game plan is that when you put so much effort into D, your O will suffer. Ours did, but ultimately the plan led to the W.  I'll take it however lucky and ugly it was. Honestly, even up 10 with 2:30 left, I still assumed we'd fold and lose. For the most part, we played like a big boy team down the stretch, something NU teams don't do well very often. 

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think we mainly got lucky and caught Creighton on a night where they shot 3s like we usually do.

Not to take anything away from how hard we played.  But if they shoot their season average on 3s it's a completely different game.  And they had a ton of open looks.

One of the announcers made it sound like that was intentional--like that was a coaching decision based on film of the kid? 

Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth. Just want to know if the kids can ride that gift horse towards some mediocrity (at least) this season, or if this win is fool's gold.  

5 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

One of the announcers made it sound like that was intentional--like that was a coaching decision based on film of the kid? 

Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth. Just want to know if the kids can ride that gift horse towards some mediocrity (at least) this season, or if this win is fool's gold.  

It wasn't just one of their players, if that's what you're saying.  When you're scrambling as much as we were, you're going to give up some open looks.  We were just trying to leave one guy open.