Financial Planning/Retirement Planning

I did a search and couldn't find it here, but would be curious on thoughts from the group ... anybody here do financial planning professionally or for fun?  I have a financial advisor/fiduciary but they've had some staff changes of late and so since I'm going to have to rebuild my relationship with them yet again, I think I'd like to diversify a bit outside of their company.  I've purchased and ladder(d) some CDs but after listening to some folks lately I wonder about doing some plain jane S&P investing NOT thru them.  I am betting that we've got folks on here, some of which do this sort of thing, and others who like to talk about it.

What do you do and why????

I’ve got a guy….

Meet with him in person at least once per year and he calls me 4-6 other times per year. He proposes different investments. I usually do what he’s suggesting but not always. Every once in awhile I have an idea and he’ll either explain why it’s not the best thing or say yeah, do that.

What I like about it, compared to just a broker, is there are no commissions as it’s on a straight managed account arrangement. At first it seemed sort of pricey until I figured out there are basically unlimited trades all for the same price as doing nothing.  He actually called me about 2-3 weeks ago and told me I was his best performing account this year, so that was kinda cool.  I had a petroleum stock that had gone up about 98% since the first of the year so we took some of those profits and bought some other stuff. Buy low, sell high :D

19 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I did a search and couldn't find it here, but would be curious on thoughts from the group ... anybody here do financial planning professionally or for fun?  I have a financial advisor/fiduciary but they've had some staff changes of late and so since I'm going to have to rebuild my relationship with them yet again, I think I'd like to diversify a bit outside of their company.  I've purchased and ladder(d) some CDs but after listening to some folks lately I wonder about doing some plain jane S&P investing NOT thru them.  I am betting that we've got folks on here, some of which do this sort of thing, and others who like to talk about it.

What do you do and why????

Hey NM,

So, if you are a bit of a DIY'er, I completely and wholeheartedly recommend the Boglehead forum.  It's based on John Bogle, who was the founder of Vanguard and pretty much the inventor the low-cost index fund.  Here's a link to their forum/Wiki if you wanted to take a look and do some research.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started