Offensive Line Coach

Vizsla1

8 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Maybe Donnie could be a decent OL coach. I also don't think he's brought in one out of state recruit since he's been here - I'm skeptical he can upgrade the talent in that room, which is obviously an issue. 

Yep definitely unproven in the recruiting trail. Got some visits from Bo Hughley and the LSU commit but I don’t think either were his connections. All commits from in state. Nice to lock up in state talent but not sure all three were deserving of an offer. Fwiw rumor has it that he and Frost had somewhat of a falling out before the season even started so maybe he never got a chance to teach things the way he wanted to.

• Plus1 3

51 minutes ago, Farms said:

Yep definitely unproven in the recruiting trail. Got some visits from Bo Hughley and the LSU commit but I don’t think either were his connections. All commits from in state. Nice to lock up in state talent but not sure all three were deserving of an offer. Fwiw rumor has it that he and Frost had somewhat of a falling out before the season even started so maybe he never got a chance to teach things the way he wanted to.

I don’t think anyone would question the work ethic of the Raiola family.    He really was handed the keys to a Yugo and expected to have it operating like a BMW by fans.  I definitely could see the possibility of a falling out happen by the way.

Let’s see the results with a new strength and conditioning staff, some of his recruits, and  getting the two guys who missed last season back.

EDIT:  A big part of the frustration might be Frost being too hung over to meet his nephew on a recruiting visit.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Decked said:

Once everyone watched the double Casey sandwich at Purdue I think it was over for his public opinion. If it wasn’t before. They were goddamn brutal this year. They may not have been the best guys but jfc. They were awful. 

Again, it was not the coach's fault they were slow & lacked agility.  He did not recruit them and Frost & Duval did not develop them.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

48 minutes ago, Farms said:

Another factless rumor.  Frost & Duval were to busy partying together to worry about his staff.  Riola was in the pros.  It takes more than a year to cultivate relationships with young players.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
58 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Young,  energetic, teachable coaches...  relax guys.   We have a head coach that is confident in his ability to coach up the coaches he likes.   Maybe it works or maybe it doesn't but to think this is a failure right now is ridiculous. 

To your point,  Rhule himself coached the OL in his past coaching experience.  Maybe he sees something he likes in Coach R and feels he can mentor him.  

I am shocked that of all of the coaches retained it would be Raiola, but we'll see how it plays out in spring ball.   Perhaps Rhule saw the real deficit as the S&C training and not the OL coaching. 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Young,  energetic, teachable coaches...  relax guys.   We have a head coach that is confident in his ability to coach up the coaches he likes.   Maybe it works or maybe it doesn't but to think this is a failure right now is ridiculous. 

I am with you. I am drinking some kool aid for the next 12 months regardless.  I spent the last 3 years being realistic and trending pessimistic with dumba$$ in charge, so I need a freaking break. :lol:

• Haha 1

Nebraska came into the 22' season with a below average OL...we then lost our best returning lineman in Nouili. We actually looked decent first couple games and then lost Teddy (second best lineman). Things then took a shift. I think overall we were decent for the circumstances. We had a whole new offensive coach at all positions. 

• TBH 4
4 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

I find it somewhat amusing to read comments lambasting a guy that was handed a shyt sandwich and told to make it taste good in less than a yr.  wonder how that equates over to the MJ love we seen..?? 

We got better under MJ, not enough better to garner the HC job but better. O-line didn't get better under Raiola, thus he has less of a case than MJ. 

Is Raiola as bad as he seemed this season? Could he be good down the road? I can see that. But why not hire an O-line coach that is actually proven to be good?