Offensive Line Coach

Vizsla1

3 minutes ago, Danimal said:

We got better under MJ, not enough better to garner the HC job but better. O-line didn't get better under Raiola, thus he has less of a case than MJ. 

Is Raiola as bad as he seemed this season? Could he be good down the road? I can see that? But why not hire an O-line coach that is actually proven to be good? 

There is 1 thing everyone forgets.  Scheme.  Maybe Riola matches well with what Rhule wants. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 3

Donovan learned from one of the best in the business in Harry Hiestand and I’m sure that caught Rhule’s eye.  Hiestand is known for having outstanding Olines and putting guys in the NFL.  I’m guessing Raiola adopted the same Oline philosophy and it matches up with what Rhule wants to do here. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

Raiola definitely walked into a bad situation. He also caught some bad breaks with Nouili and Prochazka. Obviously OL takes some time to flip and maybe he just needs more time. But with how comically bad the OL has been for years now and Rhule having the largest assistant $ pool the AD has ever given a head coach… it’s difficult not to think “Go get a proven guy.” 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, Decked said:

If we get a RT somehow in the portal and Bryce Benhart doesn’t play the line will be automatically better. Should be better at LG. C who knows. LT Teddy is gonna be bad until he is back to 100%. 

Agree.  You're only as good as your weakest link.  But ideally if we could get a tackle and a guard that are both upgrades surely and Nouilli back surely we can find one more tackle and a center that are serviceable and have a decent line.

22 minutes ago, Decked said:

If we get a RT somehow in the portal and Bryce Benhart doesn’t play the line will be automatically better. Should be better at LG. C who knows. LT Teddy is gonna be bad until he is back to 100%. 

Getting rid of Benhart will automatically make the line better...he sucks! There HAS to be a better tackle in the portal that they can get here!

• Fire 1

29 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Our whole line looked horrible.  I blame Duval & Austin.  Absolutely very little improvement since these guys came to NE

Agreed.  I don't understand how the 4* guys we have on the line haven't gotten any better since high school.  I might not be 100%, but if I remember right, several of the starting 5 rotation were 4* stars coming out of high school.  From their performance last year, I wouldn't think any of them would automatically start at a group of 5 school if they transferred.  Raiola was never going to fix this problem in one year. 

What I'm concerned about with Raiola is with his recruiting.  He's listed as the lead recruiter for Sam Sledge and Brock Knutson, but I don't hear him tied to any other o-line prospects.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, MasterPulverizer said:

Agreed.  I don't understand how the 4* guys we have on the line haven't gotten any better since high school.  I might not be 100%, but if I remember right, several of the starting 5 rotation were 4* stars coming out of high school.  From their performance last year, I wouldn't think any of them would automatically start at a group of 5 school if they transferred.  Raiola was never going to fix this problem in one year. 

What I'm concerned about with Raiola is with his recruiting.  He's listed as the lead recruiter for Sam Sledge and Brock Knutson, but I don't hear him tied to any other o-line prospects.

Maybe because he was a plan B or C.

I just keep thinking and hoping, I can't remember what game it was, but there was a game, maybe Illinois, where the whole first half we were running plays with pulling guards and tackles, lead blockers, and having great success. Then the second half we quit using all of those plays for incomplete pass after incomplete pass. My hope is that Riola designed and installed those plays and that's what his line will really look like, and that we went away from it because Whipple.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1