Offensive Line Coach

Vizsla1

Something to think about...

Rhule has implied we need to get better/tougher in the trenches;

Hires two young, energetic, but relatively inexperienced guys to coach the trenches...

I got a feeling Rhule, OC, and future DC will have a big hand in coaching the lines; meanwhile, Dom & Pot Roast are groomed into the line coaches that Rhule invisions them to be.

just a thought tho

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

The bad coaching is that those two were ever back on the field, especially Bryce after the blocked extra point. That effort, and his output as a Husker, has been abysmal. Throw in his dad, Lavar Ball 2.0, and you need to find every way to get him out of the program. 

First of all, they are Frost guys and because of that, they saw the field. 

After he got fired, 54 saw 7 snaps in one of the games afterwards.  But also, the depth was depleted from losing Nouilli, Teddy and K Williams.  Lutovsky and Piper got in games to mix it up.

I think DR has a wealth of NFL coaching techniques and scheme concepts, and was open and honest with Rhule about who is good, what we need, what he can teach, but also the favoritism in the OL room from the previous regime.  The last staff is gone. 

Rhule and DR will likely put in place a new leadership with emphasis of all hands on deck for starting spots.  I could be wrong, but we can see now how we are building a specific format with the trenches being a super priority and the way to get it done, for the future.  The past is history.

*Against Rutgers 54 saw 7 snaps. The following week he got 16 vs Purdue

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

On a positive note, I do not think we will be any worse next year......Quote from the OWH:  

NU averaged 3.52 yards per carry in 2022 — good for 102nd nationally and 11th in the Big Ten — and the line allowed 33 sacks, too, which ranked 96th nationally. According to Football Outsiders, the Huskers' sack rate ranked 112th nationally, while its general "line yards average" — that is, the general number of yards a back could expect to gain before getting hit by a defender — ranked 83rd.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I'm looking forward to seeing what DR can do under Rhule.  When he left the Bears, he was talked about as though he was very well respected and the players thought they got a lot from him.  Obviously, last year there were a lot of issues going on and, a lot of those weren't controlled by DR.

Now, he has a HC and others on the staff that have been O line coaches before.  Rhule has been described as being very demanding of his staff.  I'm excited what they call can do with the line.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I want to believe in Raiola.  I don't know how much I see this OL group making a drastic leap next season however.  My fingers are crossed.

We cannot have another year of absolutely abysmal pass protection.  

Just gettin Nouilli and Teddy back, healthy and strong, that is a huge improvement 

My biggest concern is that we want to accomplish some combination of 1) keep Casey Thompson next year 2) lure one of the top QBs from the portal/recruiting 3) bring top offensive weapons into the fold.

Rhule/staff will need to have some sort of an impressive talk track around how our OLine will protect and/or open holes better than last year. I am VERY curious about how that story goes while avoiding the whole “hey we had one of the worst offensive lines in the country and retained only one coach from last year, our OLine coach”

That being said, I am trying to be as positive as possible and trusting that Raiola is able to at the very least, OLine and all, win all of the winnable games next year (taking us to a bowl).