Offensive Line Coach

Vizsla1

1 minute ago, JWHusker said:

My biggest concern is that we want to accomplish some combination of 1) keep Casey Thompson next year 2) lure one of the top QBs from the portal/recruiting 3) bring top offensive weapons into the fold.

Rhule/staff will need to have some sort of an impressive talk track around how our OLine will protect and/or open holes better than last year. I am VERY curious about how that story goes while avoiding the whole “hey we had one of the worst offensive lines in the country and retained only one coach from last year, our OLine coach”

That being said, I am trying to be as positive as possible and trusting that Raiola is able to at the very least, OLine and all, win all of the winnable games next year (taking us to a bowl).

Step 1 - strength & conditioning.  Hopefully some agility.

After stepping off the ledge with the Rialooa hire, it might not be bad.  If the rumors are true over the past seasons as it relates to a disconnect between Austin and Frost and most recently Rialoa and Frost that might explain some of the poor performance.  The whole, not everyone pulling in the same direction, argument.  Rhule seems to want guys who know, support, follow his system hence the desire to seek out guys he knows and his comments about hiring guys at Carolina he hadn't worked with.  I'm assuming Rhule interviewed multiple persons and Rialoa shared the same vision.  Maybe Rialoa was brutally honest in his assessment of the problem woth the OL the past few years.  In reality, it was bad before he took over and bad while he had it.  Other aspects of the team improved because of good pick ups in the portal.  OL didn't get any IIRC.....Bottom line, he is our guy moving forward.

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

We can either believe in 1 of two things.  Rhule couldnt find anyone else, or rhule believes that he is the best man for the job.

I had a feeling this would happen when Rhule said he asked Frost about coaches currently on the staff to look at.  He's like the worst guy possible to be recommending coaches.

Of course Frost would recommend Raiola but not someone who has actually demonstrated competence like Busch.

• Plus1 1

So, uhh... has there been any official confirmation that he's returning? So far all I've seen is a few "sources say" posts. Raiola might have told players that he intended to return, but supposedly MJ was acting like he intended to return as well.

I mean a week ago Leonhard was staying at Wisconsin as DC... until he wasn't. Then again, maybe Raiola's continued employment is contingent on him being able to lure Leonhard to Nebraska... :dunno

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Toe said:

So, uhh... has there been any official confirmation that he's returning? So far all I've seen is a few "sources say" posts. Raiola might have told players that he intended to return, but supposedly MJ was acting like he intended to return as well.

I mean a week ago Leonhard was staying at Wisconsin as DC... until he wasn't. Then again, maybe Raiola's continued employment is contingent on him being able to lure Leonhard to Nebraska... :dunno

Just new outlets.  Nothing on the Husker website!

40 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I had a feeling this would happen when Rhule said he asked Frost about coaches currently on the staff to look at.  He's like the worst guy possible to be recommending coaches.

Of course Frost would recommend Raiola but not someone who has actually demonstrated competence like Busch.

Rhule bears 100% of the responsibility for taking that advice and not having a better option in his Rolodex.

• Plus1 3

I think one thing I am trying to force myself to consider. Maybe Rhule really is a coaches coach? If he is extra diligent, maybe he can be dabbling in all areas of the team and do it successfully, at least at the beginning here. I am skeptical, but I think it is only fair to give it a chance. I think we got so used to Frost being such a sub par coach we became infatuated with the idea that if he just had some really really good coordinators/position coaches it would save him and turn him into the coach we all wanted him to be. We were depending on quality experienced coaches to be able to come in and mentor him.  Well, it didn't work out but it left us all unable to fathom a situation in which the HC actually selects talented staff and them helps train them to become great. Hopefully that is what we have here in Rhule, otherwise.. Oof.