Offensive Line Coach

Vizsla1

Coach Rhule must’ve concluded  that there were several factors contributing to the offensive  line’s poor performance. He’s  confident enough in Raiola all things he’s taken  into consideration. 

I’d say that with everything being addressed Rhule and other assistants with experience will be helping out developing

players on the O-Line and to help Donovan improve as well.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if the biggest concern was current offensive linemen jumping ship into the portal if Raiola left?

If he is the guy on staff and he doesn't perform well next year he absolutely has to get fired next season. Personally I think we've already given him enough of a tryout and I don't like what I've seen.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I wonder if the biggest concern was current offensive linemen jumping ship into the portal if Raiola left?

If he is the guy on staff and he doesn't perform well next year he absolutely has to get fired next season. Personally I think we've already given him enough of a tryout and I don't like what I've seen.

Weren't we all envisioning a world where the current offensive line DIDN'T return? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, TheSker said:

Rhule bears 100% of the responsibility for taking that advice and not having a better option in his Rolodex.

Big picture.  See beyond.

DR is an NFL guy like most of Rhules staff.  They will focus on getting the line right.  It is a major part of his teams identity. And maybe, possibly a QB down the road with the same name as Raiola will be on board....?!??

This isn't a "one and done" year.  This is a major rebuild.  We have been an awful program for almost 10 years. Having some patience is paramount.

Don Raiola must be pretty knowledgeable, technical, tough, and trustworthy as a coach and former big ten player to carry out the vision.  Me thinks.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 2
2 hours ago, admo said:

Big picture.  See beyond.

DR is an NFL guy like most of Rhules staff.  They will focus on getting the line right.  It is a major part of his teams identity. And maybe, possibly a QB down the road with the same name as Raiola will be on board....?!??

This isn't a "one and done" year.  This is a major rebuild.  We have been an awful program for almost 10 years. Having some patience is paramount.

Don Raiola must be pretty knowledgeable, technical, tough, and trustworthy as a coach and former big ten player to carry out the vision.  Me thinks.

Oh fully understood.  Raiola went from the one coach many (most?) wanted gone to it not really being his fault in a matter of hours 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

How anyone can automatically fault Riaola based on 1 year is beyond me. Not only was it 1 year, it was a year in which both tackles are sophomores, breaking in a new starting center (you know, the guy who makes calls on the line) installing a new offense, the coach getting fired two games in resulting in changes to the offense, 0 commitment to the run the top two guys being out (one for idiocy in the the offseason, one due to injury). Second string depth is all Sophomores or younger. To top it off, strength and conditioning clearly had a negative impact on the line's footwork, agility and speed. I mean- he walked into a nightmare situation. - I wouldn't be surprised if he advised Dylan to go elsewhere because with talent and age on hand, Dylan wouldn't likely finish his career without significant injuries. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 3

I don’t think anyone expected Raiola to have the OL completely flipped in one season. I think it’s fair to say that most folks expected to see some kind of growth. They didn’t need to be perfect, they just needed to look like they were taking the right steps forward. The only thing off the top of my head I can say that they appeared to improve on, was false starts. I remember in ‘21 there were multiple games where there were constant and sometimes consecutive false starts that absolutely killed drives. I don’t recall seeing anything quite that egregious like that this past year.  

That being said… I do remember our OL often times looking completely clueless and not giving any effort. The blocked PAT against Illinois comes to mind, as does North Dakota. 

I said this in a different thread, but what’re the sheer odds that the absolute best guy Rhule could find for OL, just happened to be the guy that was already here?

Rhule has more money for assistants than any other Neb head coach has ever had. Why not pony up and go get a proven guy for one of the most critical units on the team?

• TBH 2