How much better do we get next year?

1 hour ago, Undefeated101 said:

I thin we'll see an immediate jump

You're way more optimistic than I. I think we struggle hard. Hiring Rhule was a long term play, since he's not a sitting coach. We are loosing too much to the draft/transfer and Rhule doesn't have the connections to poach off a current team like a sitting coach could, nor has he been out on the recruiting trail with established relationships. Next year will probably be worse than this year. The question is how do we rebound in year 2?

• Plus1 3

Yikes..... such a tough question.  Games right off the top that I "think" we can (even possible "should") win..... Northern Illinois and LT (yes, I know the past), but NI is Rhule's home opener.  I also "think" that NW, Purdue (with key losses and new staff also...and at home) are both winnable.  

So possibly 4 that we maybe should win....

A ton of toss ups.... Colorado (bad team , but momentum and Prime's home debut will be tough),  Illinois (loses key guys, but Bert is always tough), Maryland (better than us, but at home late), Sparty ( struggled, but on the road), Iowa (we will see what their offense looks like)

doubtful:   Minny (on road, early), Michigan (enough said), Wiscy on road

At first glance, WAY TOO EARLY TO BE SERIOUS..... we don't even have a recruiting class or a full staff yet..... but just for fun and conversation sake, I think the record will be about the same.

2 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

Well per Rhules past college track record we will win 1 or 2 games next year. So any thing more then that is a WIN.

I don't think his track record is applicable here.  I think a .500 record is more than a reasonable expectation.  If we simply didn't s#!t the bed against northwestern for their sole win of the year and georgia southern, we are a .500 team this year despite the inept coaching staff and incomplete staff midyear.  

Lot needs to be addressed but there are things for Rhule to work with and improve immediately. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

The transfer portal makes it waaaaay, WAY easier to snatch talent... Our NIL stuff makes us an attractive spot (I've heard, but IDK, tbh)...

AND, our new S&C coach is Jacked to the gills, so I expect major turn around in trench play (specifically, endurance... energy seemed to be zapped by the second half EVERY game); this should significantly improve, and significantly improve second half play.

I would be disappointed with anything less than 5 wins,

Expect 6 wins

Realistically Hopeful for 8 win season

I'd be interested in knowing specifically why, at Temple and Baylor his first years were 1 or 2 wins.  Was it that he had to bring in all new players?  Was it that it took that year to turn the culture around?  Is what he asks players to do in his systems so much different from what they have done before that they are confused for a year?

We have played some really good teams close the last 4-5 years.  Yes, I know those are still losses and not moral victories.  Don't need to go there.

But, can he take that and build on it to where he can turn some more of those into wins?  Or, are things going to change so much this year that a team with mostly the same players are going to be actually worse, before they get better?

If, the new strength and conditioning coach can remake the linemen into more mobile and athletic players, maybe that's a trigger to win more games and not have a big drop back.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'd be interested in knowing specifically why, at Temple and Baylor his first years were 1 or 2 wins.  Was it that he had to bring in all new players?  Was it that it took that year to turn the culture around?  Is what he asks players to do in his systems so much different from what they have done before that they are confused for a year?

We have played some really good teams close the last 4-5 years.  Yes, I know those are still losses and not moral victories.  Don't need to go there.

But, can he take that and build on it to where he can turn some more of those into wins?  Or, are things going to change so much this year that a team with mostly the same players are going to be actually worse, before they get better?

If, the new strength and conditioning coach can remake the linemen into more mobile and athletic players, maybe that's a trigger to win more games and not have a big drop back.

Probably because it was Temple.  With Baylor I would guess because of all the other crap going on with the program before he got there.  This will be his first year coaching when the portal and NIL are both avail to help bring in players.  Maybe it wont equate to wins but it should.  

• Plus1 2