How much better do we get next year?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'd be interested in knowing specifically why, at Temple and Baylor his first years were 1 or 2 wins.  Was it that he had to bring in all new players?  Was it that it took that year to turn the culture around?  Is what he asks players to do in his systems so much different from what they have done before that they are confused for a year?

We have played some really good teams close the last 4-5 years.  Yes, I know those are still losses and not moral victories.  Don't need to go there.

But, can he take that and build on it to where he can turn some more of those into wins?  Or, are things going to change so much this year that a team with mostly the same players are going to be actually worse, before they get better?

If, the new strength and conditioning coach can remake the linemen into more mobile and athletic players, maybe that's a trigger to win more games and not have a big drop back.

Just google art briles

2 hours ago, Spacer said:

The transfer portal makes it waaaaay, WAY easier to snatch talent... Our NIL stuff makes us an attractive spot (I've heard, but IDK, tbh)...

AND, our new S&C coach is Jacked to the gills, so I expect major turn around in trench play (specifically, endurance... energy seemed to be zapped by the second half EVERY game); this should significantly improve, and significantly improve second half play.

I would be disappointed with anything less than 5 wins,

Expect 6 wins

Realistically Hopeful for 8 win season

I've said this in other threads, but the transfer portal also makes it way, WAY easier to lose talent. And players that transfer in and are good are usually only here for a year, which means we're constantly rebuilding. I think S&C takes more than 1 off-season to really make a big difference.

But most of all we need to overhaul both lines, which is hard to do from transfers and just takes time. I think it'll be a struggle to win 3 games next year.

I am betting that the Huskers win 6 next year. Which ones I don't know, but I believe that a renewed enthusiasm will make marginal players better. Maybe not great, but certainly better. The stupid "coach calls" will not cost any games either. Better strategy, clock management, timeout management, coach management, and player management.  The lack of late drunken night out with the buddys along with the young women wont hurt either. Ruhl is focused.

Think there’s a path for Rhules year 2 success to happen next year. As has been mentioned, NIL and the transfer portal makes it easier to flip a roster then when Rhule was at Temple or Baylor. Also, for as poorly as it’s appeared in Lincoln, it’s still in a better position than either of his previous college jobs. Might be an unpopular opinion, but I think a lot of the subpar success the last few years was due to poor coaching over poor players. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'd be interested in knowing specifically why, at Temple and Baylor his first years were 1 or 2 wins.  Was it that he had to bring in all new players?  Was it that it took that year to turn the culture around?  Is what he asks players to do in his systems so much different from what they have done before that they are confused for a year?

We have played some really good teams close the last 4-5 years.  Yes, I know those are still losses and not moral victories.  Don't need to go there.

But, can he take that and build on it to where he can turn some more of those into wins?  Or, are things going to change so much this year that a team with mostly the same players are going to be actually worse, before they get better?

If, the new strength and conditioning coach can remake the linemen into more mobile and athletic players, maybe that's a trigger to win more games and not have a big drop back.

I am guessing that….

1. no portal s add no you are at Temple and following Art Briles burn down

2. only 35 scholly players when he signed at Baylor

3. no NIL

• Plus1 3

His expectation of what “discipline” looks like could usher some current players and recruits out of the program come spring and fall camp. That’s a hiccup I could see this coming season, but I believe that’s a necessary component to parlay future success much sooner. I was holding out that the previous coach was taking this approach, but he just alienated players instead.  

Those first 2 games are going to really be a good measuring stick. Both on the road. First @Minn on a Thursday night. That will be a good atmosphere and we should be a dog. This would be awesome to steal this one with a division win.  Then @Colorado for Deion’s first home game with bitter historical rival. I expect Colorado to pull out all the stops and Deion’s QB son to try to have a coming out party against us. This is a huge game for Colorado as they likely come in 0-1 as they play TCU on the road to start the season. Both teams could be 0-1 but this game will have a lot of attention. I think Rhule needs to hold his own and get a win out of at least one of these to not slow momentum.

• TBH 1

Some of you guys are gluttons for punishment. We will be bad next year, anything else and you are setting yourself up for misery and you'll be wanting to fire Rhule after our first loss. 

We start out 0-3, win at LA Tech, Northwestern and MAYBE Maryland for a 3 win season. Anything better would be a pleasant surprise. I just don't see it happening.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
Just now, Born N Bled Red said:

Some of you guys are gluttons for punishment. We will be bad next year, anything else and you are setting yourself up for misery and you'll be wanting to fire Rhule after our first loss. 

We start out 0-3, win at LA Tech, Northwestern and MAYBE Maryland for a 3 win season. Anything better would be a pleasant surprise. I just don't see it happening.

We play Iowa late and I think we win that one as we will have improved a lot and if Iowas defense reflects anything close to it was this year, they’ll be terrible again 

Just now, Gorillahawk said:

We play Iowa late and I think we win that one as we will have improved a lot and if Iowas defense reflects anything close to it was this year, they’ll be terrible again 

I get what you're saying, but unless we find a whole OLine and a receiver than can blow the top off like Palmer, we are hosed. The one wildcard is the defense. Perhaps we could see enough improvements on that side of the ball to steal a win or two defensively. But our offense regressed big time IMO.

10 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

No, I’m fine enjoying being a fan and being optimistic. I’m also not such a snowflake where I would want to fire him next year even if they don’t win as much as I think they can.  

And, I don’t call it punishment.  I call it having fun being a fan.  

• Plus1 1