How much better do we get next year?

Our offense didn’t improve much but it didn’t regress as you suggest.    The O line was THE issue.  Skill players were better.  Imo.  Play calling was better but not much more could be done without a run game to use to help the passing overcome the O line.   

It’s been said by many but it may bear repeating, the team wasn’t great certainly but better line of scrimmage play and this team goes bowling.  It might have anyway, if the coaching changes happened Aug 1 (assuming the players stuck around and played hard).  Who knows but this team got better - effort wise and game management did improve.  Even penalties and basic mistakes were reduced.  

I understand there are a few that wanted Frost retained but it’s hard to argue the team got worse.  Imo. 

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you’re saying it’s natural for me to just roll my eyes at fans who claim we are going to win just 1 or 2 games because that’s just what Rhule does his first year. 

Yeah im not saying anything on those lines.  you put a question in your post asking specifically why rhule started 1 or 2 wins at temple and baylor.  I didn't sense any sarcasm so i am directing you to google art briles and read up on the dumpster fire that was baylor football that he inherited.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you’re saying it’s natural for me to just roll my eyes at fans who claim we are going to win just 1 or 2 games because that’s just what Rhule does his first year. 

Hahaha... I don't give two caps what Rhule does in year 1. I'm looking at the facts, we sucked this year. We have lost 8 players to the transfer portal and several other impact players to the draft. In addition we've lost day one impact recruits due to the coaching change. 

Look at what we have incoming (so far) to replace them. NO ONE. We don't have a single stud lineman recruit or transfer let alone 5 coming in. Lastly, Rhule doesn't have the established connections to recruits or current players to reel in many studs through the transfer portal or on the recruiting trail.

Long story short, we lose too many contributors and haven't gained enough to improve our win total. Couple that with growing pains of installing a new system/ culture and you don't have a set up for a quick turnaround. You just don't. I'm an eternal optimist. I will enjoy watching the team and hope for the best. But realistically a 3 win season is a very likely outcome for next year no matter who the coach is. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, HANC said:

I am guessing that….

1. no portal s add no you are at Temple and following Art Briles burn down

2. only 35 scholly players when he signed at Baylor

3. no NIL

I imagine recruiting was difficult at times the first year.  I mean convincing the parents of players that the culture had changed after taking out the trash of Ken Starr and Art Briles covering up sexual assaults on campus.  That school already the stench of Dave Bliss and murder prior. 

6 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Some of you guys are gluttons for punishment. We will be bad next year, anything else and you are setting yourself up for misery and you'll be wanting to fire Rhule after our first loss. 

We start out 0-3, win at LA Tech, Northwestern and MAYBE Maryland for a 3 win season. Anything better would be a pleasant surprise. I just don't see it happening.

Nah I am not giving up on the game against Colorado.  Deion is also a first year coach going from FCS to P5.  Rhule at least has some experience at a P5 school.  Also Colorado was a bigger trash fire than Nebraska on the field and with so many new players in Boulder it will take time to get it figured out.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Nah I am not giving up on the game against Colorado.  Deion is also a first year coach going from FCS to P5.  Rhule at least has some experience at a P5 school.  Also Colorado was a bigger trash fire than Nebraska on the field and with so many new players in Boulder it will take time to get it figured out.

Heck Deion could be Ron Zook.  We don't know yet.

• Plus1 1

We *should* have 4 wins built into the schedule as we play 4 teams that finished 2022 110th or worse in SP+ (out of 130).

Colorado 124th in SP+

No Illinois 123th in SP+

La Tech 121th in SP+

Northwestern 110th in SP+

(FYI, we finished 71st.)

And then hopefully we can claw out 2 more wins somewhere to get to a bowl.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We *should* have 4 wins built into the schedule as we play 4 teams that finished 2022 110th or worse in SP+ (out of 130).

Colorado 124th in SP+

No Illinois 123th in SP+

La Tech 121th in SP+

Northwestern 110th in SP+

(FYI, we finished 71st.)

And then hopefully we can claw out 2 more wins somewhere to get to a bowl.

Colorado this year compared to Colorado next year isn't a good comparison.  

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Can they improve a lot?  Sure, anyone can.  What I don't get is why so many people think that Colorado is all of a sudden going to be a good football team with their new coach in year 1 when we can't.

They will have a much more hype and glitz/glamour and probably a better recruiting class.  I personally think that we will be a better football team than CU.  What worries me is it is Prime's home opener and the juices will be flowing in that locker room and regardless of the Husker take-over in years past, I do believe that this year's ticket will be tougher to get, thus resulting in somewhat of a home field advantage for the Buffs.  His son is a great QB, but I also want to see him perform in the P5 in comparison to the competition he faced all year.  Not saying that Nebraska is better than those teams, but as a whole, Colorado schedule will be a lot more difficult than what he has seen.

• Plus1 2
40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Can they improve a lot?  Sure, anyone can.  What I don't get is why so many people think that Colorado is all of a sudden going to be a good football team with their new coach in year 1 when we can't.

I'm guessing a lot more talent will find its way to Colorado over Nebraska next year.  Can Deion manage it and let his assistants coach players up and win games?  That's the question. But to think the Colorado game is a layup is absurd.  Nebraska is still full of guys who have little idea on how to win.  And their best playmaker on offense is gone. 

• Plus1 1