How much better do we get next year?

9 minutes ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

I'm guessing a lot more talent will find its way to Colorado over Nebraska next year.  Can Deion manage it and let his assistants coach players up and win games?  That's the question. But to think the Colorado game is a layup is absurd.  Nebraska is still full of guys who have little idea on how to win.  And their best playmaker on offense is gone. 

I don't think it's going to be a layup.  They beat us the last few times we have played them, even though we should have won some of those games.  Sure, he could pull some in the portal.  But, one big great freshman class coming in doesn't mean they are going to be great that year.  Pretty tough to get a bunch of true freshmen in college all playing well together in the first couple games.

It just seems like so many people are crowning them as going to be soooo much better next year just because Prime went there.  I'm not buying into the hype when looking at his first year in Boulder.

• Plus1 3

It's going to be a long process. Maybe not as long as it was for Rhule at Temple or Baylor with the added advantages of the portal and NIL, but on the other side I think Rhule has a clear several year vision on how he wants to build for success long-term which will test the patience of everyone wondering, "WHY CAN'T WE WIN NOW?"

If we do get to 6 wins in year one it will be a remarkable achievement as a byproduct of a good foundation and trajectory being set, but I'm not expecting much.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

18 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I've said this in other threads, but the transfer portal also makes it way, WAY easier to lose talent. And players that transfer in and are good are usually only here for a year, which means we're constantly rebuilding. I think S&C takes more than 1 off-season to really make a big difference.

But most of all we need to overhaul both lines, which is hard to do from transfers and just takes time. I think it'll be a struggle to win 3 games next year.

Not gonna lie... I'm going to be pissed if Colorado overhauls their lines in 1 season

Good god, I knew it was bad, but... I just looked again an the departures and additions list- we have lost literally all of our receiving core. Which had become our strongest group. Think we just have to replace Palmer? Guess again- here is everyone gone. 

Graduated/ went pro

WR - Trey Palmer, Omar Manning, Oliver Martin

TE - Chancellor Brewington, Travis Vokolek

Transferring out 

WR - Decoldest Crawford, Kamonte Grimes

Decommits 

ATH - Malachi Coleman, TE - Benjamin Brahmer (Iowa St.)

We better have a ground game, I have no idea who Thompson might throw to otherwise... 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Good god, I knew it was bad, but... I just looked again an the departures and additions list- we have lost literally all of our receiving core. Which had become our strongest group. Think we just have to replace Palmer? Guess again- here is everyone gone. 

Graduated/ went pro

Transferring out 

Decommits 

We better have a ground game, I have no idea who Thompson might throw to otherwise... 

There will be other WR's who transfer in (Hopefully)  outside of losing Palmer, all these other players are easily replaceable.   And if we don't have any WR's, run the damn ball guy will be happy

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Graduated/ went pro

Transferring out 

Decommits 

Although I agree with you, not any panic.   4 of the 1st 5 guys on the list all "transferred in".  Who is to say that Rhule doesn't pull guys in who make an impact, just as those guys did....Palmer was a replacement for Toure....and CB was a blocker, not prolific....OM really didn't pan out..... Out of the 2 transfer guys, they were non-impact (yet) and of the 2 final guys, Coleman is expect to re-commit.  No panic YET