OMG!!!!!!!!

Anecdotal evidence also suggests there are a lot of elected Republicans not-named Trump who are equally grifty, dimwitted and/or committed to undermining democracy using the Trump blueprint.

If we stop talking about Trump, there will be plenty of disturbing politicians left to talk about. 

Republicans sick of the clown car can step up and make pragmatic, issues-oriented conservatives the face of the party, but that's not happening.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Anecdotal evidence also suggests there are a lot of elected Republicans not-named Trump who are equally grifty, dimwitted and/or committed to undermining democracy using the Trump blueprint.

If we stop talking about Trump, there will be plenty of disturbing politicians left to talk about. 

Republicans sick of the clown car can step up and make pragmatic, issues-oriented conservatives the face of the party, but that's not happening.

I think Trumpsters are looking for his policies without the crazy.  That may rule out the likes of MGT, but not the DeSantis types. I agree with you that it will be next person up for libs to complain about. 

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1
25 minutes ago, nic said:

Trumpsters are looking for his policies

So Orange Man Bad voters are looking for something like increased border arrests? Successfully completing Infrastructure Week? Showing strength against our enemy Russia? Supporting democracy among our allies? Expanding NATO against the Russian threat? 

Because if so, I have a 2024 candidate they're gonna love...

• Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 2
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

So Orange Man Bad voters are looking for something like increased border arrests? Successfully completing Infrastructure Week? Showing strength against our enemy Russia? Supporting democracy among our allies? Expanding NATO against the Russian threat? 

Because if so, I have a 2024 candidate they're gonna love...

Unfortunately that same guy also passed a bi-partisan piece of gun legislation, oversaw the most rapid pace of job growth in American history, increased taxes on the wealthy, passed legislation to protect American interests in microchip manufacturing...

I mean, let's be honest, if he doesn't wrongfully arrest people for voting or ship innocent people to places as political stunts, all while not having any policy whatsoever to run on, Republican voters aren't going to be interested. 

• TBH 1

5 hours ago, Ulty said:

Which policies? Please explain.

Seriously. Republicans have not been originating policies and continue to rail against Democratic policies without offering their own alternatives, despite promising to. "Who knew health care was this difficult?" as a President once said. 

If you think immigration is an issue, I guess Trump's border wall would count as a policy. Rolling back Obama era treaties and regulations might count as policy, but I doubt many voters could explain them. The GOP platform under Trump -- as it was immediately before and still remains -- is simply revenge. That's why they're talking about Hunter BIden's laptop and drag queens rather than anything designed to benefit the American people. 

• TBH 2

I see too many responses to reply directly. Answering them is probably not going to get anywhere. Someone mentioned the border. Yes Trump won on building a wall. As odd as that sounds, it worked. Given the mess at the border, we can see real-time if we choose to, it's possible the GOP could win on that again. I think GOP candidates could model Youngkin's platform. They could succeed in running on crime by simply saying they will undo Dem policies. Reinstate the Keystone pipeline would resonate with GOP voters. Develop any and all energy. Lots of education policies they could try and undo. What did DeSantis run on in Florida that gave him 2/3rds of the vote? You can all rant against it, but if it works to say they are going to undo Dem policies it works. 

On a side note, what is the pecent of left or left of centers posters in the Politics and religion thread? 90%? 

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, nic said:

I see too many responses to reply directly. Answering them is probably not going to get anywhere. Someone mentioned the border. Yes Trump won on building a wall. As odd as that sounds, it worked.

It worked as a campaign promise. It doesn't work as an actual policy. That's basically the point. The Republicans are defined by the Democrats, and fail to acknowledge their previous policy failures, or originate anything that's not reactionary. The party of small government never faces up to the fact that they balloon the deficit far more than Democrat administrations. Can you distract people with angry, partisan rhetoric and no policy substance?  Sure. It makes me sad. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, nic said:

I see too many responses to reply directly. Answering them is probably not going to get anywhere. Someone mentioned the border. Yes Trump won on building a wall. As odd as that sounds, it worked.

Worked for getting him elected?  Or worked for shutting down the border?  Because, if you think it's the shutting down the border, you're incorrect.  However, it did get him elected.

17977.jpeg

9 minutes ago, nic said:

They could succeed in running on crime by simply saying they will undo Dem policies.

They could win with this because people are too lazy to actually look at statistics.  Republicans keep up the mantra of Democrat cities are over ran with violent crime because of liberal policies....which is basically not true.

10 minutes ago, nic said:

Reinstate the Keystone pipeline would resonate with GOP voters.

Again...if people think critically, this is an idiotic issue that Republicans have sold to their base.

11 minutes ago, nic said:

Develop any and all energy.

Really????  All I see from Republicans is how horrible all energy sources are other than coal, oil and natural gas.  Which alternative energies are they going to champion and invest in?  And....why would they do this when climate change is a hoax sold on us by China and Bill Gates?

13 minutes ago, nic said:

Lots of education policies they could try and undo.

Is this the book burning part?

14 minutes ago, nic said:

On a side note, what is the pecent of left or left of centers posters in the Politics and religion thread? 90%? 

No....most of us are ex Republicans that still would love to have a reasonable conservative party with good ideas and not controlled by nut jobs.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, nic said:

I see too many responses to reply directly. Answering them is probably not going to get anywhere. Someone mentioned the border. Yes Trump won on building a wall. As odd as that sounds, it worked. Given the mess at the border, we can see real-time if we choose to, it's possible the GOP could win on that again. I think GOP candidates could model Youngkin's platform. They could succeed in running on crime by simply saying they will undo Dem policies. Reinstate the Keystone pipeline would resonate with GOP voters. Develop any and all energy. Lots of education policies they could try and undo. What did DeSantis run on in Florida that gave him 2/3rds of the vote? You can all rant against it, but if it works to say they are going to undo Dem policies it works. 

I think we've done polls in the past.  You might be a lot further to the right than you think...

• Plus1 1

Because it's understanding history and seeing all the flashing warning signs that an ongoing effort to up end democracy is being repeated here, now, in the United States and understanding that thwarting that effort is more important than policy differences is what makes you a "complaining lib" it seems.  

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No....most of us are ex Republicans that still would love to have a reasonable conservative party with good ideas and not controlled by nut jobs

:yeah

The problem is that Trump took control of the GOP and moved it much more to the far right than the historical trend of any conservative movement of the past.  Reagan would be a moderate to moderate left if we were to factor in how far alt right the GOP has gone under Trump. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
20 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

:yeah

The problem is that Trump took control of the GOP and moved it much more to the far right than the historical trend of any conservative movement of the past.  Reagan would be a moderate to moderate left if we were to factor in how far alt right the GOP has gone under Trump. 

adding to the above,  Trump moved the GOP closer to Mussolini then to any of the GOP leaders of the past.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, nic said:

Given the mess at the border

Can you explain the mess at the border? And where does this rank as a priority for Americans?

1 hour ago, nic said:

They could succeed in running on crime by simply saying they will undo Dem policies.

Which Dem policies on crime do you think should be undone? And what problems would be solved by undoing these policies?

1 hour ago, nic said:

Develop any and all energy.

What do you mean by this? What policies do you favor that are different than the Dems?

1 hour ago, nic said:

Lots of education policies they could try and undo.

Like what? And again, what problems would be solved by undoing these education policies?

Again, you said, "I think Trumpsters are looking for his policies without the crazy." What were Trump's specific policies that you and your people embraced, other than the wall? 

Please don't interpret these posts as an attack. You are the one that brought up Trump's policies, and we want to know more and gain some insight into your thought process.

You see, our "leftist" viewpoints did not see Trump proposing actual policies. We saw him use the rhetoric of racism, smiting ones enemies, demonizing liberals, and outright chaos to try to hold onto power and enrich himself. The GOP did not even put out an actual platform or legislative agenda the last couple of elections. We know that their kooky rhetoric has garnered a lot of votes, but since you brought up policy...are Republicans actually interested in policy at all? This is why we have so many questions, and you are the only one around here to ask. 

• TBH 1