Rhule's QB Room

TGHusker

On 12/19/2022 at 9:00 AM, TGHusker said:

I find the addition of Jeff Sims, transfer from GT, very interesting.  In some ways it strikes me as being similar to when Frost went after Adrain as soon as he was hired.  He knew who he wanted

as QB and he went after him.  In this case, it feels that Rhule knows exactly what type of offense he wants to run, and he made that known in the type of QB he recruited.

It gives some hints as to where the offense may be heading under Rhule.  To that end, I think we have 6 QBs under scholarship with the Sims addition.  We also have a diverse group of guys - 

Big Arm guys, Pro-style, dual threat.  What does this say about Casey Thompson's status? - Is Sims 'insurance' in case Thompson doesn't respond well to surgery or decides

not to come back to play his remaining year at Nebraska or is Rhule moving away from CT as a manager of his type of offense? The other guys on the depth chart are also sent a message. 

While I think Logan stays on to finish his education, I suspect others may enter the portal - esp after the spring game.

https://www.on3.com/teams/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/nebraska-lands-commit-from-georgia-tech-transfer-portal-qb-jeff-sims/

Give me Sims as the starter. I don't think we talk about how inconsistent Casey's arm is. (Yes, he throws a decent deep ball) But sideline and a mid route it is a toss up. Sims gives us a way better look in a Run first offense. RPO is a must and Sims is simply better 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, M.A. said:

Understandabl!. Lol  I think that I've gotten way to much rest of recent.

Seriously, looking at Malik what stands out to me is his legs. Long and quite a distance between his knees and ankles. And his hips...They have a lot to do with mobility  Anyway, he has a unique build to me. It's been said that he possesses a fast straight line running speed though lacks agility and he struggles with change of direction a bit. 

I'm not sure how much those aspects of his game can be improved upon. It's less of an issue having an O-Line that's operating well of coarse. He certainly has speed. I'd like to see how he can scramble with better competition. His throwing accuracy can be improved upon. Just not sure how much the other elements.

Have Fun. Maliks team is in the gold. Him Achane (A&M's RB) and a couple others..  Beasts.....

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Huskers34 said:

Give me Sims as the starter. I don't think we talk about how inconsistent Casey's arm is. (Yes, he throws a decent deep ball) But sideline and a mid route it is a toss up. Sims gives us a way better look in a Run first offense. RPO is a must and Sims is simply better 

See the source image

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 6

16 hours ago, Huskers34 said:

Am I? Go watch the Film-Casey gets CONCRETE feet back there 75% of the time. Sims is faster and 5x more elusive 

Casey was not a running QB. He was a dual threat but much better passer than runner, that said I have no idea what you mean by concrete feet. He scrambled when necessary, stepped up when needed, and hung in there if required. Sure, he made mistakes and took some sacks he shouldn't have but he was the antithesis of the previous QB who didn't step up well, and often decided too late to get mobile.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, macroboy said:

I wonder if Casey not running more was a Whipple thing. Doesn’t seem like he liked the qb run game. 

Maybe it was bc he know that the backups weren’t ready but it sure seemed like more than that.

I think Casey not running is a result of him being told not to run by multiple OC's in his past.  He ran plenty in high school, but that wasn't really featured at Texas and his first year at NU.  I think Casey has the ability to run, but it's been "taught out of him".  It may be challenging to get that mindset back under Rhule's/Satterfield's offense.

• Plus1 3