Rhule's QB Room

TGHusker

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Casey not running is a result of him being told not to run by multiple OC's in his past.  He ran plenty in high school, but that wasn't really featured at Texas and his first year at NU.  I think Casey has the ability to run, but it's been "taught out of him".  It may be challenging to get that mindset back under Rhule's/Satterfield's offense.

This. We don't talk about Casey's inconsistency because he was pretty consistent; 63% completion rate and 8.4 yards per attempt. Made plenty of mid-range completions in tight windows. Generally a good decision maker on a bad team. 

As great athletes-as-quarterbacks come out of high school, most coaches try to coach them out of "happy feet." Their playground instinct tells them to run, but if they can hang an extra second or two, that's when receivers get separation and good things happen. Casey didn't have concrete feet; he just wasn't panicking. But I do think a couple designed QB draws keeps linebackers on their toes, and obviously every quarterback should be ready to run for the sticks if the defense leaves it open.

• Plus1 5

I agree with the above. Casey did some good things with his feet, but there was very little rushing by design. In the Northwestern game, he had a damn impressive scramble after breaking a tackle, keeping his balance, and completing a deep pass, turning a big loss into a big gain. He has the right mojo as an athlete and seems to be a good leader/teammate.

Unfortunately, one onside kick later that same game, and the season was already over.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Ulty said:

I agree with the above. Casey did some good things with his feet, but there was very little rushing by design. In the Northwestern game, he had a damn impressive scramble after breaking a tackle, keeping his balance, and completing a deep pass, turning a big loss into a big gain. He has the right mojo as an athlete and seems to be a good leader/teammate.

Unfortunately, one onside kick later that same game, and the season was already over.

That's because Whipple didn't have designed QB runs or even options in his playbook.  Trying to force QB run plays were a square peg in a round hole for his offense.  It was like when Mike Riley got to NU in 2015, he was told "you have a mobile QB in Armstrong, you need to have him able to run" but Riley and Langsdorf didn't know how to design QB run (or option plays).  Joe Ganz would be on the radio saying "they have zone read plays where guys are going in the wrong direction".  In the offseason between the 2015 and 2016 season, Langsdorf studied the QB run game and they were able to get a passable QB run game installed for Armstrong's final season.  Of course, when they went back to a statue QB in Tanner Lee, the QB run game vanished, and the offense struggled.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's because Whipple didn't have designed QB runs or even options in his playbook.  Trying to force QB run plays were a square peg in a round hole for his offense.  It was like when Mike Riley got to NU in 2015, he was told "you have a mobile QB in Armstrong, you need to have him able to run" but Riley and Langsdorf didn't know how to design QB run (or option plays).  Joe Ganz would be on the radio saying "they have zone read plays where guys are going in the wrong direction".  In the offseason between the 2015 and 2016 season, Langsdorf studied the QB run game and they were able to get a passable QB run game installed for Armstrong's final season.  Of course, when they went back to a statue QB in Tanner Lee, the QB run game vanished, and the offense struggled.

Uh... We ran a few read options, speed options, and QB draws throughout the year. Some with Casey some with the other guys. It was in the playbook, just not utilized enough.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

I wonder two things:

When did he tear his labrum?  That could have made him and the staff reluctant for any designed runs.

Did Whip even have the QB run game in his play book?

8 minutes ago, lo country said:

I wonder two things:

When did he tear his labrum?  That could have made him and the staff reluctant for any designed runs.

Yes, he had QB runs/reads! Literally everyone but Iowa has those in there playbook. We even ran some with Casey, although most option packages would have probably been for Smothers. Pickett even ran read plays at Pitt.  It's been in Whip's playbook.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, lo country said:

Technically yes. Functionally? Barely a whisper.

Frost clearly insisted on a lot of the run package install..as we saw plenty of orbit motions and window dressing for an option/read option game in the first three games. Those almost completely disappeared once Frost was fired and Whip went more air raid.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
27 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Yes, he had QB runs/reads! Literally everyone but Iowa has those in there playbook. We even ran some with Casey, although most option packages would have probably been for Smothers. Pickett even ran read plays at Pitt.  It's been in Whip's playbook.

Here are Casey's QB carries (not including sacks) by game, so these will also include scrambles off called pass plays:  1, 3, 8, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 8, and 3.

From those numbers, I would say that the QB run game was pretty much non-existent with Casey under Whipple.  There may have been zone "reads" called where there was no read.  It was just a simple zone running play to the I-Back.  There was a large disconnect in what Frost wanted in the overall run game and what Whipple's play calling was.  If Whipple wasn't calling QB run plays, I would say he doesn't have a good handle on how to design and coach the QB run game.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Here are Casey's QB carries (not including sacks) by game, so these will also include scrambles off called pass plays:  1, 3, 8, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 8, and 3.

From those numbers, I would say that the QB run game was pretty much non-existent with Casey under Whipple.  There may have been zone "reads" called where there was no read.  It was just a simple zone running play to the I-Back.  There was a large disconnect in what Frost wanted in the overall run game and what Whipple's play calling was.  If Whipple wasn't calling QB run plays, I would say he doesn't have a good handle on how to design and coach the QB run game.

This.

Any there were in there were because of Frost's influence.  After Frost were gone, they were basically non-existent.  It was really evident when Smothers was playing and we still weren't running them.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1

On 12/20/2022 at 3:21 PM, BaytownHusker said:

Have Fun. Maliks team is in the gold. Him Achane (A&M's RB) and a couple others..  Beasts.....

You and others might enjoy this. It's truly fascinating. There's a lot of insight that can be gained. It can be done with any sport. 

Experiences over and over again with as much variety of them taught in as many different scenarios as possible develops the athlete. 

14 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

Very very long shot.. But Rhule is a developer right.  What is and a BIG IF Smothers fits in this scheme and shines.  

I always thought Smothers could be a good "change of pace" QB and used as a runner who could sometimes throw (Minnesota has had success with this).  Unfortunately for Smothers, if NU is going to try some type of 2-QB system, Sims is going to most likely be the better option at that "running QB", as he's bigger, stronger, and probably has the same speed as Smothers.  Sims also looks to have a stronger throwing arm than Smothers.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
23 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I always thought Smothers could be a good "change of pace" QB and used as a runner who could sometimes throw (Minnesota has had success with this).  Unfortunately for Smothers, if NU is going to try some type of 2-QB system, Sims is going to most likely be the better option at that "running QB", as he's bigger, stronger, and probably has the same speed as Smothers.  Sims also looks to have a stronger throwing arm than Smothers.

It all could come down to who makes the better reads and decisions in the run game at that point. 

• Plus1 1
  • 4 months later...
On 12/20/2022 at 2:24 PM, Huskers34 said:

Give me Sims as the starter. I don't think we talk about how inconsistent Casey's arm is. (Yes, he throws a decent deep ball) But sideline and a mid route it is a toss up. Sims gives us a way better look in a Run first offense. RPO is a must and Sims is simply better 

Coming back to this-Kindly suck it 

• Plus1 1