Rhule vs Fickell Recruiting

Pedro G

I know it’s still somewhat early and I don’t know if Wisconsin had a scholarship limit or not for only having 14 HC signees, but with that said did Rhule achieve better results in recruiting overall. It seems Wiscy’s highlight is getting that QB transfer from Oklahoma. I am a bias fan for sure, and I acknowledge that. So am I wrong that so far Rhule is showing he is a better recruiter than Fickell? Or is it that Rhule’s staff as a whole is better? — Bias Husker fan

• Haha 1
  • Pedro G changed the title to Rhule vs Fickell Recruiting

4 hours ago, Pedro G said:

I know it’s still somewhat early and I don’t know if Wisconsin had a scholarship limit or not for only having 14 HC signees, but with that said did Rhule achieve better results in recruiting overall. It seems Wiscy’s highlight is getting that QB transfer from Oklahoma. I am a bias fan for sure, and I acknowledge that. So am I wrong that so far Rhule is showing he is a better recruiter than Fickell? Or is it that Rhule’s staff as a whole is better? — Bias Husker fan

The truth is we have no idea which is better.  I’ve often wondered if trying to get kids in a couple weeks is really the best idea.  Either way, we are going to find out.

What I’ve been most interested in is the no/low star kids.  Specifically like Eric Fields or Ives.  I find them intriguing and away from what has become the norm.

I look at a signed roster like Michigan State and feel pretty good.  15 players that are mostly 4 star.  From all over the place.  I think you can see a philosophical difference in the process.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I think it’s fair to be excited about the work Rhule has done, the culture he is already trying to instill, and that he has adopted enough old beliefs to grab the attention of the older fan base. Results remain to be seen obviously.

it has been pointed out on social media how Rhule’s hands on philosophy compared to Coach Prime and how he is embracing aspects, whereas Prime is opposite. To be fair, Prime was trying to prepare a team for a bowl…. and in regards to LK, do we know what the “needs” were in Wiscy.  I support your train of thought !! It is hard to not get excited and intrigued about this staff

If you're looking at the class rankings, it's mostly just due to differences in the number of recruits signed. On 247's ranking, Wisconsin's average player rating is pretty much dead even with ours.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Toe said:

If you're looking at the class rankings, it's mostly just due to differences in the number of recruits signed. On 247's ranking, Wisconsin's average player rating is pretty much dead even with ours.

I'm sorry, I can't hear what you're saying over the clinking of ice cubes in my kool aid glass.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 4

Doesn't Wisconsin have difficulty in recruiting due to academic standards, etc? I don't think Wisconsin has ever had an amazing recruiting class, even back when Brett was there and winning like Wisconsin was, I think they hovered around the 30's-40's in recruiting. Wisconsin has always been about developing what they had. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Doesn't Wisconsin have difficulty in recruiting due to academic standards, etc? I don't think Wisconsin has ever had an amazing recruiting class, even back when Brett was there and winning like Wisconsin was, I think they hovered around the 30's-40's in recruiting. Wisconsin has always been about developing what they had. 

I e never heard that.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I e never heard that.  

That was why Gary Andersen left Wisconsin so abruptly just to take a job at Oregon State. He was frustrated by the difficulties in getting players academically qualified at Wisconsin, and apparently he thought he'd be given a little more 'wiggle room' there by the administration.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/wisconsins-admission-standards-pushed-gary-andersen-to-oregon-st/

IIRC it was a factor in Bielema's departure, too.

3 hours ago, Toe said:

That was why Gary Andersen left Wisconsin so abruptly just to take a job at Oregon State. He was frustrated by the difficulties in getting players academically qualified at Wisconsin, and apparently he thought he'd be given a little more 'wiggle room' there by the administration.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/wisconsins-admission-standards-pushed-gary-andersen-to-oregon-st/

IIRC it was a factor in Bielema's departure, too.

I didn’t know any of this. Fickell could run into the same problem. I think Luke will have respectable seasons at Wiscy, but I wonder if they will again come up short because of missing some top-end talent. So then will Nebraska without those restrictions with an energetic go-getting recruiting staff out-do them? No one knows of course. Only time will tell. But with that potential frustration, I wonder the minute the OSU’s  job opens up if Fickell jumps at it if offered.