Jeff Sims

Hayseed

He's pretty good when moving into the pocket

Doesn't set his feet on most of his throws

Receivers have to make plays on a lot of his passes

He can scramble out of the pocket and run around for a 7 yard gain or more (Husker fan wet dream) but it would help the offense more if he throws to a receiver or TE for 8-15 yard gain instead.  You know, make the pass play instead of improvising when you don't have to.

I like that we have him.  Needs some coaching.

I also think he will have some packages on game days, mostly inside the 20 (redzone)..... or when the offense needs to gain 2 yards or less when the running game isn't working as well.  In other words, don't be too surprised if we see Sims getting some plays on game days for certain moments (physical).  And that's ok

Fairly disappointing to go this kind of a route for me. He doesn’t have the skills to be the guy you want in the pocket when it’s 3rd & long. Which is where we’ve struggled off & on for quite a while.

I understand that in a rebuild in year zero you just get the best talent you can and hope something shakes out.

But it’s just weird because literally one of the first things out of Rhule’s mouth as head coach when asked about what kind of offense he’ll run was “we’re not going to be a spread offense.”    :dunno

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1

20 minutes ago, Undone said:

Fairly disappointing to go this kind of a route for me. He doesn’t have the skills to be the guy you want in the pocket when it’s 3rd & long. Which is where we’ve struggled off & on for quite a while.

I understand that in a rebuild in year zero you just get the best talent you can and hope something shakes out.

But it’s just weird because literally one of the first things out of Rhule’s mouth as head coach when asked about what kind of offense he’ll run was “we’re not going to be a spread offense.”    :dunno

I don't think the issue with us has been not converting 3rd and long. The problem is we can get consistently stuffed running the ball and end up in 3rd and longs. Then we relied on Martinez to pull off some superman play and bail us out. That really applies to more than just 3rd and long too. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
36 minutes ago, Undone said:

Just got to give Head Coach Matt Rhule a chance with whatever offense he wants to run and who he wants to bring on to the team.  Give him time and be patient.  Myself included!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
46 minutes ago, Undone said:

Offensively, pass plays... speed raking out, short middle underneath.  Options depending on coverage.

When you need 2 yards or less, there will be a QB under center and H-Back (275lbs) pushing you with QB sneak.  You seen it with Minnesota and other Big Ten teams.  Convert.

But by all means, the running back game will be very good as long as you have a QB that spins it quickly (2.7 to 3.2 seconds from the snap).  With 2AM and Tommy Armstrong, it was 4-7 seconds in the pocket to decide to pass or run (very often).  Indecisive, scrambling, unsure... huck it and chuck it.

Casey does his part as a true passing QB in the pocket and the rest needs to pick it up.

13 minutes ago, Display name said:

He got better every year with interceptions he had 13 then 7 and then just 3 last year so I see progress 

No offense, it's winter.  We are all thrilled Sims is here, for real.  We are months away from Spring, and then you know the Summer comes.... and then Fall.

Sims is going to be very valuable to this team.  And we should be very excited for him and this offense next year.  He might even rake !!!

But, he's going to have to be one special motherf#&%er to beat out Casey Thompson for this year.  Let's be honest, injuries aside.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

No offense, it's winter.  We are all thrilled Sims is here, for real.  We are months away from Spring, and then you know the Summer comes.... and then Fall.

Sims is going to be very valuable to this team.  And we should be very excited for him and this offense next year.  He might even rake !!!

But, he's going to have to be one special motherf#&%er to beat out Casey Thompson for this year.  Let's be honest, injuries aside.

Good point...he might be the starter on the second play of the season.

2 hours ago, admo said:

You are under estimating the coaching change in your statement. They may not even see Thompson as an option in what they want to do, and they signed Sims.  I wouldn't be shocked either way, but this is far from Casey's job right now.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, admo said:

Agree that Sims will need to beat out Thompson for the job, but Thompson will probably be out for Spring practice which gives Sims an advantage in showing the coaches what he can do on the field. I am sure Thompson will be able to learn the offense well, but the coaches may love the home run threat with Sims. 

• Plus1 1