Jeff Sims

Hayseed

9 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I think this is out of context.

Many thought He needed a shot because of AMs poor play.  I was one of them.

No one thought he was better after his “opportunity”.

Yeah, I was one of those, too. Although McCaffrey's stats were modest, the offense seemed energized and better run when he was given his moments, and also when he was given the start over a healthy Adrian, a win against Penn State, iirc. 

So it wasn't just the fan base. For a few games there, the coaching staff thought Luke was the better QB, too. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Don't get your hopes up.

Patrick Witt

Patrick O'Brien

Johnny Stanton

Kody Spano

Brion Carnes

AJ Bush

Zack Darlington

Tristan Gebbia

the list goes on and on of backups with "potential" we've overhyped based on nothing other than wishful thinking

I don't know that that's true because I've heard good things about some players, but I've never seen them play because they always get passed up by a really bad celebrity. The other thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem to have been any attempt to develop some quarterbacks. All the reps were given to a few and the rest were basically ignored. I don't think we've had a system since Osborne retired...it's been a game of catchup and whack-a-mole for our overwhelmed or unqualified coaches.

3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I don't know that that's true because I've heard good things about some players, but I've never seen them play because they always get passed up by a really bad celebrity. The other thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem to have been any attempt to develop some quarterbacks. All the reps were given to a few and the rest were basically ignored. I don't think we've had a system since Osborne retired...it's been a game of catchup and whack-a-mole for our overwhelmed or unqualified coaches.

Not clear about your continued use of the word "celebrity." I suspect our last four starting quarterbacks would have been more than welcome on Osborne teams and would have thrived with superior offensive lines and supporting defenses

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not clear about your continued use of the word "celebrity." I suspect our last four starting quarterbacks would have been more than welcome on Osborne teams and would have thrived with superior offensive lines and supporting defenses

I'm pretty sure you're clear about what I mean by celebrity....riding on brother's coattail. Osborne would've had some of these backups as ready as Brook Berringer and Gerry Gdowski.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I'm actually hoping to see what if anything Haarberg and Torres will be able to contribute. We haven't heard anything about them and it has to make you wonder if a bunch of guys are gonna transfer to a team where they have a chance to play, especially because the new coaches always seems to bring in their favorite and put him over the rest. This semi-pro college ball isn't the same game it used to be.

Haarberg is terrible, no clue about Torres. Why shouldn’t the new coaches bring in guys they have confidence in? It’s better than hoping whomever is left from the roster they inherited, didn’t recruit, and didn’t evaluate can do the job, at the most important position on the field. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Haarberg is terrible, no clue about Torres. Why shouldn’t the new coaches bring in guys they have confidence in? It’s better than hoping whomever is left from the roster they inherited, didn’t recruit, and didn’t evaluate can do the job, at the most important position on the field. 

Maybe Rhule considers moving Haarberg to another position? He’s a great athlete if not a good QB. 

14 hours ago, admo said:

Wow that is excellent and accurate.  Somewhere 2 guys out there are not feeling this love - Curt Dukes :( and Joe Dailey (transferred to UNC)

Harrison Beck. I remember his first snap with the Huskers he fell on his a$$. :rollin
Addition: 

He made a bizarre video three years where he was throwing the football and was talking about vaping. I don’t know if he was off his rockers or just high. 

1 hour ago, Pedro G said:

Harrison Beck. I remember his first snap with the Huskers he fell on his a$$. :rollin
Addition: 

He made a bizarre video three years where he was throwing the football and was talking about vaping. I don’t know if he was off his rockers or just high. 

He makes videos still today, some are pretty cringe and some are funny as hell, not sure if he's a huge troll or needs meds

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

He makes videos still today, some are pretty cringe and some are funny as hell, not sure if he's a huge troll or needs meds

He had one good season in Division II — his second transfer. But at NC he was no better. The kid thought he was hot stuff and must not had think he needed to be developed. He made it to arena and indoor professional football. If he had a head on his shoulder he may had been much better. 

14 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I'm pretty sure you're clear about what I mean by celebrity....riding on brother's coattail. Osborne would've had some of these backups as ready as Brook Berringer and Gerry Gdowski.

You said "all these guys" referring to the list of backups who didn't make it, saying they "all get passed up by a really bad celebrity."  So I thought you had more than one example other than Luke McCaffrey, who was no worse than many of the less celebrated QB recruits who didn't look as good as their high school sizzle reel. 

In his 25 years, Tom Osborne had some pretty mediocre starting QBs and some QBs in waiting that never panned out. But for a lot of those years he was running an offense that could work pretty damn well with a competent game manager. Berringer and Gdowski were pretty special. Right now the good college programs are three deep in highly recruited QBs, many who deserved more playing time and find it at other schools via the portal. Nebraska hasn't been QB deep in forever. Gebbia, Vedral, Carnes had a shot to develop elsewhere. Adrian Martinez, too. So far we haven't exactly felt the sting of watching an overlooked QB thrive elsewhere. It's recruiting. It's developing. It's surrounding a QB with other good players and coaching. 

• Plus1 1
On 12/26/2022 at 9:13 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

Rhule seems to favor the big, athletic, running QB's like Sims. 

Charlie Brewer and PJ Walker were listed at 6'1" and 5'11", respectively. Both were the primary QB for Rhule's entire time at their respective schools. Neither of them, or Thompson, is even in the same ballpark, athletically or physically, as Jeff Sims.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
9 hours ago, brophog said:

Charlie Brewer and PJ Walker were listed at 6'1" and 5'11", respectively. Both were the primary QB for Rhule's entire time at their respective schools. Neither of them, or Thompson, is even in the same ballpark, athletically or physically, as Jeff Sims.

I always wondered what happened to Charlie Brewer and I found out he transferred out of Baylor to go play for Utah then didn't last long there and then went to Liberty where he broke his hand in the first game this year. I thought he was great when he was at Baylor but apparently now he is a after thought.

• Plus1 1