Jeff Sims

Hayseed

We hired a very good coach but he isn’t God!  The mess seems to be getting addressed faster than most thought possible but there are huge holes all over the team.  It could theoretically happen that a good team (9 + wins) is fielded in the fall but to expect it is just unreasonable imo.  

The Big Ten is tough - top two-thirds anyway.   Several wins are very likely IF most of the pieces fall into place. But after about 4, it will take a decent team to get further.  We don’t know who the QB will be. We know the O line will be at best - mediocre.  The defense will be very young and inexperienced all over. STs may be better but how much?  The WRs will be raw, inexperienced and new.  RBs could be OK but again depth and experience- ?   TE is completely unknown and very doubtful.  

The team will be much more athletic but raw and green.  2023 is like a preseason season in my view.  Win some - lose some.  Main thing is get game reps to about 65 guys for ‘24 and beyond. 

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

So what your saying is if Nebraska doesn't make a bowl then we shouldn't have hired Matt Rhule I certainly don't believe that.  You clearly watched the games this year like all of us did and clearly saw what Nebraska lacked. I wouldn't say the coach is a failure if we don't make a bowl game.

I saw what the team lacked the last 5 years.  Coaching, mostly.  For $74M we should get at least a little of that.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I saw what the team lacked the last 5 years.  Coaching, mostly.  For $74M we should get at least a little of that.

Yeah thats true but it takes time last time I checked for players and coaches to mesh and gel.  I have high expectations myself and the only coach that could have potentially got us to a bowl game would have been Urban Meyer imho but I'm not worried about that bc he isn't here Matt Rhule is.  Im not saying I don't think he can't get there but to expect that with all the new pieces and coaches is asking alot and your setting yourself up for failure and more disappointment and Nebraska had to pay 74 million for him supply and demand. 

Just now, Gage County said:

@The Dude is right. If we can't make a bowl next year, what was the point of hiring Rhule? firing Frost?

Improvement and building a program.  Something that former Nebraska coaches have lacked severely.  If they improve and don't make a bowl that doesn't necessarily mean HC Matt Rhule is a failure it just means he is building a program for sustainable success and needs more time.  

18 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Yeah thats true but it takes time last time I checked for players and coaches to mesh and gel.  I have high expectations myself and the only coach that could have potentially got us to a bowl game would have been Urban Meyer imho but I'm not worried about that bc he isn't here Matt Rhule is.  Im not saying I don't think he can't get there but to expect that with all the new pieces and coaches is asking alot and your setting yourself up for failure and more disappointment and Nebraska had to pay 74 million for him supply and demand. 

If we paid that much money for coach to do as craptastic a job as Scott Frost, then we all have plenty of reason to be disappointed.  There's only reason it should take years to get to a freakin' bowl game is if your coach is really crappy.

14 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Improvement and building a program.  Something that former Nebraska coaches have lacked severely.  If they improve and don't make a bowl that doesn't necessarily mean HC Matt Rhule is a failure it just means he is building a program for sustainable success and needs more time.  

It doesn't necessarily mean that neither.

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, Gage County said:

@The Dude is right. If we can't make a bowl next year, what was the point of hiring Rhule? firing Frost?

Because football lasts more than 1 year? Because it takes times to turn around a bad program and he's done that? Seems like a silly question.

You really can't figure out what the point of firing Frost was?

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Gage County said:

I really hope you’re kidding.   

just in case you’re not…..uh simply stated, Frost can’t coach.  That wasn’t going to change at NU.  He can craft some impressive offensive plays, but the day to day CEO part was just too much for his abilities.  Maybe some day he’ll figure out some things and work his way up to a good HC job again, but I’m not seeing it.  He’s better suited as an OC IMO.  

We need a reset with Rhule and again, in my opinion, have no business expecting a bowl game in year 1.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
43 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I really hope you’re kidding.   

just in case you’re not…..uh simply stated, Frost can’t coach.  That wasn’t going to change at NU.  He can craft some impressive offensive plays, but the day to day CEO part was just too much for his abilities.  Maybe some day he’ll figure out some things and work his way up to a good HC job again, but I’m not seeing it.  He’s better suited as an OC IMO.  

We need a reset with Rhule and again, in my opinion, have no business expecting a bowl game in year 1.  

At present I'm seeing 3-5 wins. Five is a stretch. That's the reality of it. 

• Plus1 1