Jeff Sims

Hayseed

On 12/25/2022 at 6:28 PM, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I don't think the issue with us has been not converting 3rd and long. The problem is we can get consistently stuffed running the ball and end up in 3rd and longs. Then we relied on Martinez to pull off some superman play and bail us out. That really applies to more than just 3rd and long too. 

I think this was a solid observation, and I agree. If the offensive line was good and if your running back is capable, you're probably in a lot of 3rh & shorts instead of 3rd & longs.

But still the conversation for me is more about trying to figure out what Rhule is going to try to do in 2023 on offense scheme-wise, and also speculating on who'll start.

Thompson is still on the roster. He and Sims are pretty different QB's. Not polar opposite necessarily, but pretty different. If Rhule really wants to plug Sims in right away, it's pretty telling about what he's going to try to do scheme-wise.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I think this was a solid observation, and I agree. If the offensive line was good and if your running back is capable, you're probably in a lot of 3rh & shorts instead of 3rd & longs.

But still the conversation for me is more about trying to figure out what Rhule is going to try to do in 2023 on offense scheme-wise, and also speculating on who'll start.

Thompson is still on the roster. He and Sims are pretty different QB's. Not polar opposite necessarily, but pretty different. If Rhule really wants to plug Sims in right away, it's pretty telling about what he's going to try to do scheme-wise.

I agree with you mostly but I keep thinking CT is probably more capable as a runner than he has shown in the previous systems.  However, Sims has to be the favorite to start simply because CT will miss all of spring ball while healing from his shoulder surgery.  He isn't expected to be 100% until summer.

30 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I agree with you mostly but I keep thinking CT is probably more capable as a runner than he has shown in the previous systems.  However, Sims has to be the favorite to start simply because CT will miss all of spring ball while healing from his shoulder surgery.  He isn't expected to be 100% until summer.

I agree those two will be the favorites to start. There appears to be a big drop off below then, unless Torres shows something in the spring. Haarberg perhaps should be moved to tight end. He is a very good athlete with decent speed. Purity may not have the confidence to be a good QB. Smothers doesn’t seem to be a good fit. 

5 minutes ago, admo said:

What's wrong with appreciating them both ????!?

I can only express so much gratitude through this keyboard.

But really though, what I'm saying is that I'm more interested in what all of this means for the kind of plays will be our bread & butter in this offense. Will be interesting to see if the QB run game is something Rhule is planning on as a staple, or just as more of "here and there."

Sims' addition kind of suggests the former.

• Oh Yeah! 1
Just now, Undone said:

I can only express so much gratitude through this keyboard.

But really though, what I'm saying is that I'm more interested in what all of this means for the kind of plays will be our bread & butter in this offense. Will be interesting to see if the QB run game is something Rhule is planning on as a staple, or just as more of "here and there."

Sims' addition kind of suggests the former.

I really think both will play and have roles.  You saw TCU QB pushes with Duggan on short down yardage?  Should have the same success inserting Sims in those situations.  And also if Casey gets dinged up, immediately Sims will come in and keep it rolling.  It's win-win for us, and I do like both!

On 1/3/2023 at 3:34 PM, Undone said:

I do think Sims has potential, yes.

I like how he is pretty mobile - deceptively fast.  Hope the coaches can help him reduce the interceptions.  He'd be a change up from CT. While CT can scramble as we've seen, Sims can run. 

18 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Wow FanDuel just bypass Casey Thompson why don't you.  Until he gets beat out by Jeff Sims he is still the starter so you can't even think of Jeff Sims right now being a candidate.

I don't think it works exactly like that.  All of the coaches that decided Casey was the guy last year are gone.   The new coaches brought in their own guy.   He could just as soon be the starter.  Maybe even the favorite to start.

• Plus1 1