Jeff Sims

Hayseed

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

I don't think it works exactly like that.  All of the coaches that decided Casey was the guy last year are gone.   The new coaches brought in their own guy.   He could just as soon be the starter.  Maybe even the favorite to start.

Thompson surgery may set him behind Sims if anything. It may be an uphill battle depending on how Sims looks in the spring. 

22 minutes ago, runningblind said:

There is a 0% chance Casey Thompson wins the Heisman next year.  

That may be true but my point was that since Casey Thompson is the returning starter until proven otherwise meaning get beat out by Jeff Sims then there isnt any chance rn that Jeff Sims can win the Heisman as well.  It's my believe that the coaches asked Casey Thompson to return and be the starter.  Yes I know nothing is given and you have to earn it to remain the starter but there wasn't any indication that Casey Thompson was the problem last season.  To me it was the play calling and line that really set him up for failure last season.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
45 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That may be true but my point was that since Casey Thompson is the returning starter until proven otherwise meaning get beat out by Jeff Sims then there isnt any chance rn that Jeff Sims can win the Heisman as well.  It's my believe that the coaches asked Casey Thompson to return and be the starter.  Yes I know nothing is given and you have to earn it to remain the starter but there wasn't any indication that Casey Thompson was the problem last season.  To me it was the play calling and line that really set him up for failure last season.

Eh, returning starter until proven otherwise I think has already been shot down.  Doesn't add up for a staff to explicitly tell CT he's the starter and to recruit a P5 qb with plenty of options to be starter to simply be #2 on the depth chart.  

Loved what CT did this past year and if he can come back next year healthy and win the job im all for it.  But if Sims comes in and his athleticism edge fits better with what Rhule wants to do than I am 100% behind the staff if hes the guy

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Eh, returning starter until proven otherwise I think has already been shot down.  Doesn't add up for a staff to explicitly tell CT he's the starter and to recruit a P5 qb with plenty of options to be starter to simply be #2 on the depth chart.  

Loved what CT did this past year and if he can come back next year healthy and win the job im all for it.  But if Sims comes in and his athleticism edge fits better with what Rhule wants to do than I am 100% behind the staff if hes the guy

I understand that but why would Casey Thompson come back for one more year coming off shoulder surgery to sit his last year out.  That doesn't make sense at all.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Sims still has a redshirt year to use and it’s not like he has a bunch of success that  can really make you think twice about what’s been said

41 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I understand that but why would Casey Thompson come back for one more year coming off shoulder surgery to sit his last year out.  That doesn't make sense at all.

I think the simple answer is he probably has limited options right now with the surgery situation and is probably better off returning in the spring, getting back into shape, going for the job and if he doesnt get it then perhaps transfer again.

2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

How did Wisconsin recruit all those portal QBs telling them they are all starters?

• Plus1 1