Jeff Sims

Hayseed

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Good point...he might be the starter on the second play of the season.

Ok, please remind me from the past 3 years how you and some other smart folks were saying "If only we had Sims from Georgia Tech playing here..... wow"   

Did you say that every week?  No, you didn't. 

You hadn't seen film before he signed....  or even paid attention to GTech football every week he played.  But somehow you think he's the starter next year before NY Eve gets here??

At least I said we should be excited for him and our offense.  

• Plus1 1

40 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Agree that Sims will need to beat out Thompson for the job, but Thompson will probably be out for Spring practice which gives Sims an advantage in showing the coaches what he can do on the field. I am sure Thompson will be able to learn the offense well, but the coaches may love the home run threat with Sims. 

I wouldn't invest too much of anything into Spring.  It's a great time if you are Yant or a guy like Sanford.  Casey is smart enough to understand the playbook and be ready by Summer, fully healthy.   

Spring is like an infield taking ground balls in baseball.  But with hype and interviews.  

And I know I coming across like I don't appreciate Sims.  I like him and I'm glad he is here.  I like that there will be some great competition between him and CT.  The cream rises to the top.  But also, the backup has to be ready to go at any given moment.  As we saw last year.  We are very fortunate at QB this year and that makes me super happy :)

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, admo said:

Ok, please remind me from the past 3 years how you and some other smart folks were saying "If only we had Sims from Georgia Tech playing here..... wow"   

You hadn't seen film before he signed....  or even paid attention to GTech football every week he played.  But somehow you think he's the starter next year before NY Eve gets here??

What's the matter with you? Thompson could get injured on the first play and he could be our #1 QB. Do you think anyone else on the roster is better? I don't.

3 hours ago, admo said:

Part of the thinking is how Satterfield and rhule have spoken about the two in interviews. They've spoken glowing and at length about Sims but haven't said much about Thompson.

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, admo said:

I wouldn't invest too much of anything into Spring.  It's a great time if you are Yant or a guy like Sanford.  Casey is smart enough to understand the playbook and be ready by Summer, fully healthy.   

Spring is like an infield taking ground balls in baseball.  But with hype and interviews.  

And I know I coming across like I don't appreciate Sims.  I like him and I'm glad he is here.  I like that there will be some great competition between him and CT.  The cream rises to the top.  But also, the backup has to be ready to go at any given moment.  As we saw last year.  We are very fortunate at QB this year and that makes me super happy :)

I understand Spring practice isn't the most valuable practice time and Thompson should be able to pick up the offense just fine in the real training camp.  However, Sims will have an advantage by going through Spring practice, just by being present.  Everything is going to be new for the coaches and the players, starting with S&C in January.  Players who are present and going through all of those trainings and practices are going to make a positive impact on the coaches and for themselves.

As others have pointed out, Thompson has no previous relationship with Rhule and Satterfield.  Just because he was the starting QB last year, I don't think Rhule and Satterfield will give him the automatic leg up on the starting QB job.  I like Thompson.  He played very good for most of the year in 2022, but I wouldn't call him "great".  I have no idea if Thompson will want to run the ball as much as Rhule and Satterfield want their QB's to run.  Rhule seems to favor the big, athletic, running QB's like Sims. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm actually hoping to see what if anything Haarberg and Torres will be able to contribute. We haven't heard anything about them and it has to make you wonder if a bunch of guys are gonna transfer to a team where they have a chance to play, especially because the new coaches always seems to bring in their favorite and put him over the rest. This semi-pro college ball isn't the same game it used to be.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I'm actually hoping to see what if anything Haarberg and Torres will be able to contribute. We haven't heard anything about them and it has to make you wonder if a bunch of guys are gonna transfer to a team where they have a chance to play, especially because the new coaches always seems to bring in their favorite and put him over the rest. This semi-pro college ball isn't the same game it used to be.

Don't get your hopes up.

Patrick Witt

Patrick O'Brien

Johnny Stanton

Kody Spano

Brion Carnes

AJ Bush

Zack Darlington

Tristan Gebbia

the list goes on and on of backups with "potential" we've overhyped based on nothing other than wishful thinking

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
11 hours ago, Hayseed said:

What's the matter with you? Thompson could get injured on the first play and he could be our #1 QB. Do you think anyone else on the roster is better? I don't.

Your talking like Sims is a God before makes a play on the field.  We know Casey is a smart kid. The question is what's between Sims ears & how fast he can pick up the playbook.  

• TBH 2
24 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Don't get your hopes up.

Patrick Witt

Patrick O'Brien

Johnny Stanton

Kody Spano

Brion Carnes

AJ Bush

Zack Darlington

Tristan Gebbia

the list goes on and on of backups with "potential" we've overhyped based on nothing other than wishful thinking

Out of the list, O'Brien was the most disappointing to me. I really had high hopes for him. 

• TBH 1

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand Spring practice isn't the most valuable practice time and Thompson should be able to pick up the offense just fine in the real training camp.  However, Sims will have an advantage by going through Spring practice, just by being present.  Everything is going to be new for the coaches and the players, starting with S&C in January.  Players who are present and going through all of those trainings and practices are going to make a positive impact on the coaches and for themselves.

As others have pointed out, Thompson has no previous relationship with Rhule and Satterfield.  Just because he was the starting QB last year, I don't think Rhule and Satterfield will give him the automatic leg up on the starting QB job.  I like Thompson.  He played very good for most of the year in 2022, but I wouldn't call him "great".  I have no idea if Thompson will want to run the ball as much as Rhule and Satterfield want their QB's to run.  Rhule seems to favor the big, athletic, running QB's like Sims. 

Yes I agree that it will be good for Sims and an opportunity for him during the Spring.  Which is great, and I like that a lot.

I do remember Casey's dad mentioned that CT will be fully ready by mid-Spring tho, and that is why they did the surgery right away.

I like them both a lot, but a stronger lean towards Casey.  

I am quite certain that Coach Rhule immediately reached out to CT soon after he got hired..... because he was impressed with CT and wanted Casey to return very much.  Adding Sims was necessary and a big get for the Husker program too.  Like I said, we are in a very good situation at QB next year, no matter what happens during the season.  And I love that. 

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Don't get your hopes up.

Patrick Witt

Patrick O'Brien

Johnny Stanton

Kody Spano

Brion Carnes

AJ Bush

Zack Darlington

Tristan Gebbia

Oh man, I forgot about Brion Carnes.  I thought he was going to be an all-time great!

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Don't get your hopes up.

Patrick Witt

Patrick O'Brien

Johnny Stanton

Kody Spano

Brion Carnes

AJ Bush

Zack Darlington

Tristan Gebbia

Wow that is excellent and accurate.  Somewhere 2 guys out there are not feeling this love - Curt Dukes :( and Joe Dailey (transferred to UNC)