Remaining Staff additions

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Sooo…..we have gone from “we drastically need great assistants here because we haven’t developed talent like we should…..to…..”well, anyone can coach any position as long as they can communicate the play”

Yea because every program does every day drills that are the same and doesn’t need knowing the position, and it’s not fair to hire coaches that know other coaches or have daddies that are coaches. 

• Plus1 2

30 minutes ago, jamrinelli said:

Also how do you break down film on what exactly players are doing right and wrong if you don’t know the position. I agree that head coaches and other senior coaches on the staff are going to put young coaches under their wing to help.

I will say this, not counting the basics of just following the rules of the game, there really is not a "right and wrong" there is just "works/doesn't work"...so one team might teach one thing while another team teaches another but both can work.

Remember we had that DB coach a few years back that did not let his DB's turn their head back to the ball?  

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sooo…..we have gone from “we drastically need great assistants here because we haven’t developed talent like we should…..to…..”well, anyone can coach any position as long as they can communicate the play”

Athletic development in college comes from the S&C group. The coaches help in development by getting the players to be successful on the field. This is done by understanding responsibilities on each  play, reading/playing against the opponent across from you, along with techniques which can help during game play.

Over the past few years, I would say Ohio State has had the best WR’s in college football. I have no idea who their WR coach is, and I think it’s fair to say that 99% of college football fans don’t know who their WR coach is. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, jamrinelli said:

Yea because every program does every day drills that are the same and doesn’t need knowing the position, and it’s not fair to hire coaches that know other coaches or have daddies that are coaches. 

Oh it very well could be a horrible buddy hire...there is no doubt about that.  I agree with you again.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Athletic development in college comes from the S&C group. The coaches help in development by getting the players to be successful on the field. This 

What I keep thinking back to is there is a reason why players work outside their programs with coaches like Keith Williams because he knows everything about the position. Players love playing for MJ because he knows more than EDD drills. It’s the same reason why Larry Johnson is considered one of the best recruiters, because he knows how to coach defensive lineman and knows the position inside and out.

• Plus1 3

What I keep thinking back to is there is a reason why players work outside their programs with coaches like Keith Williams because he knows everything about the position. Players love playing for MJ because he knows more than EDD drills. It’s the same reason why Larry Johnson is considered one of the best recruiters, because he knows how to coach defensive lineman and knows the position inside and out.

Keith Williams is a WR skills improvement coach, and he’s very good at that. However,  he’s not a full-time WR position coach for any college or NFL team right now, why is that?  I would think that he doesn’t have the ability to communicate the offensive game plan to the WR group on a weekly basis. 

• Plus1 1

I mean...you named an out of work coach...an out of work coach...and a DL coach.

With that said you might be totally right and it might be a horrible hire.  I once again, agree with you.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I mean...you named an out of work coach...an out of work coach...and a DL coach.

With that said you might be totally right and it might be a horrible hire.  I once again, agree with you.

Don you really think Keith Williams is no longer coaching in football??? At least do a Google search before making statements. Also look at his Twitter and IG you will see how many big name receivers work with him every off season!

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/coaches-roster/keith-williams

• Fire 1
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Athletic development in college comes from the S&C group. The coaches help in development by getting the players to be successful on the field. This is done by understanding responsibilities on each  play, reading/playing against the opponent across from you, along with techniques which can help during game play.

Over the past few years, I would say Ohio State has had the best WR’s in college football. I have no idea who their WR coach is, and I think it’s fair to say that 99% of college football fans don’t know who their WR coach is. 

Yes. And a lot of that is way more involved than just being able to communicate what he’s supposed to do on a play. I agree with you about Keith Williams and why he’s not a full time coach. 

To be great, you have to have what KW has…plus being able to communicate the system. 

All they said, this guy might be very good. We just don’t know.  The next best thing to playing WR to prepare for this job is probably playing QB.  

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Lol call up Tyreek hill and Davante Adama and tell them he is just an athletic development coach and not a WR coach and see what they say. They have openly talked about his coaching and what it has meant to the players they are today. Also players on the ravens have said the same thing

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, jamrinelli said:

Don you really think Keith Williams is no longer coaching in football??? At least do a Google search before making statements. Also look at his Twitter and IG you will see how many big name receivers work with him every off season!

Williams is basically a consultant who helps the Ravens receivers at their craft. He is NOT a full-time WR coach, as Tee Martin has that job. 

2 minutes ago, jamrinelli said:

College football?

Anyway, you are mad, that is awesome.  More than likely, this hire will not be a big deal either way.  But, to make you feel better I will agree with you that it will lead to the total destruction of Husker football.

• Oh Yeah! 1
Just now, jamrinelli said:

Lol call up Tyreek hill and Davante Adama and tell them he is just an athletic development coach and not a WR coach and see what they say. They have openly talked about his coaching and what it has meant to the players they are today. Also players on the ravens have said the same thing

But Williams isn’t a WR coach for a football team. He’s a WR training consultant. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He’s not the WR coach. 

I never said that he is a WR coach, he said he was an out of work coach, I merely stated he was still a coach. Also I never said that he wouldn’t be successful. I said this was the only head scratcher to me. He may very well be successful just like his dad was when he started coaching at Baylor, I hope that’s the case

• Plus1 1