Remaining Staff additions

On 1/3/2023 at 10:13 AM, GSG said:

At this point, I'm just going to let Rhule do his thing. We've tried the hand-picked successor in Frank Solich - didn't work out. We tried the NFL guy in Bill Callahan - didn't work out. We tried the hot shot coordinator in Pelini - worked OK for a while. We tried the old .500 coach in Mike Riley - didn't work out. We tried the Prodigal Son in Scott Frost - didn't work out. 

That's why I was saying I'm kinda over the idea of dream hires at this point. Like you look at Texas A&M. They hired away a head coach who had won a national championship at his then-current school, brought in the highest-rated recruiting class ever, and yet they completely s#!t the bed last season. You can do everything right on paper and still end up losing.

On 1/2/2023 at 9:33 PM, teachercd said:

Remember we had that DB coach a few years back that did not let his DB's turn their head back to the ball? 

*football hits in the back of the head*

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

On 1/2/2023 at 7:21 PM, M.A. said:

I will say this..."Experience" is sometimes over-rated. 

On 1/2/2023 at 7:53 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

College position coaches are mainly asked to communicate what the OC wants to do on offense to each of the position groups. That’s their main job, and it most of their job. Yes, there are position drills, but those don’t vary a lot from team to team. 

On 1/2/2023 at 8:31 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Sooo…..we have gone from “we drastically need great assistants here because we haven’t developed talent like we should…..to…..”well, anyone can coach any position as long as they can communicate the play”

I know jack $h!t about coaching football, and I'll go ahead and trust Rhule's process until it works or it fails, but if the posts quoted above is our current mindset, and if it is not such a problem to hire inexperienced 20-year olds to coach a position they have never played or coached before, why was it so important to have such a large salary pool for the assistants?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 3

32 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I know jack $h!t about coaching football, and I'll go ahead and trust Rhule's process until it works or it fails, but if the posts quoted above is our current mindset, and if it is not such a problem to hire inexperienced 20-year olds to coach a position they have never played or coached before, why was it so important to have such a large salary pool for the assistants?

That's a fair point.  We don't know how much of the original $7M salary pool is being used, as salaries haven't been released.

I assume that a large chunk of that was going to be allocated to Mickey Joseph, who probably would have cost $1.5M (his original ask was $2M).  So, Rhule is probably saving at least $1M on his WR coach.  I assume the OC and DC will be north of $1M, and the STC will be just below $1M.  That would leave $3-4M to be used across the remaining full-time assistants.  If Rhule isn't fully using his original $7M salary pool, that will leave funds for additional support staff or enable Rhule to give raises to coaches that he thinks are performing well.

52 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Rumor is that Rutgers poached Minnesota's OC for $1.5M, so Satterfield might be in that ballpark.

I think White will be paid more than Satterfield, as White has more experience as a coordinator, and it might have taken a larger salary to poach him away from Syracuse.  I know Satterfield was South Carolina's OC, but he was so quick to join Rhule's staff, I think he may not demand an astronomical salary.  But, your $1.5M starting point for each coordinator is probably close.

On 1/2/2023 at 7:53 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

College position coaches are mainly asked to communicate what the OC wants to do on offense to each of the position groups. That’s their main job, and it most of their job. Yes, there are position drills, but those don’t vary a lot from team to team. 

Can only speak from my personal experiences and those of who I talk to but I disagree here.  The individual position drill work yes is maybe 80% the same across all teams but the 20% difference is what separates the great coaches from the rest.  

The individual attention to each players technique and giving feedback on how to make it better is the player development we all talk about.   

OLine coaches teaching first steps based on DLine position, hand placement on the initial punch, WR technique getting of the ball on press coverage, when to double move, when to lower hips getting out of breaks, teaching RB’s when and how to jump cut, teach them second level vision etc, etc.   some coaches don’t really notice some of the finer points or can’t see it on film to coach it properly.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1