Do WiFi range extenders work?

Hoping for some guidance from someone much more knowledgeable about this than me (and apologize if this has been asked before). We've got a 1200 Mbps plan with Xfinity, they provide the combo modem/router. Generally speaking, we get pretty good coverage throughout the house. The router is on our main level, but my son's room upstairs is a bit of a dead zone. I'm looking at the TP-Link AC1750, and I'm wondering if you all think it might help with the situation. His latest issues appear to be with his ping and packet loss.

Also, with the combo modem/router, will it be a paid to set something like this up? Thank you so much in advance for your help! 

I haven't used that exact model but I did have a range extender for awhile.  We had one corner of our house that had pretty weak signal and the range extender really seemed to help.

But I have a new main wireless access point now and it seems to have more power/range so I don't use the range extender anymore.  But the extender is probably the cheaper option.

• Thanks 1

I was curious about this too, so I appreciate it.  

However, what helped me was switching to TMobile 5G Wifi router and it solved everything for me in my house.  I had TMobile phone service and ATT cable service.  I dropped cable and went with the router for Smart TV and all of my service needs (phone & internet & whatever I watch) has been smooth as butter.  Few years now. 

Before that it was up and down with weak signals and stuff dropping forever.  

• Plus1 1

The right router might be an eye soar, but worth the price.  

I have the OG1025 and the setup took only 14 weeks.  Worth it though! 

Even got the "buy 2 server racks, get 1 half off" special.  A game changer bargain!  Just make sure you keep the room cool at all times, or you'll blow out a grid.  And lose everything.  I'm pleased with it.

maxresdefault.jpg