The 1890 Initiative

Mavric

13 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Ok, so what does "1890" stand for?  The last year we won a conference championship?? :sarcasm

That was the first year of Nebraska football.

13 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

How much money does it provide the players.  Do we have a list of the NIL values given to players?

I don't think they release that.  Not that I've seen.

Also, their web site lists several other players: Omar Manning, Gabe Ervin, Garrett Nelson, Rahmir Johnson, Casey Thompson, Lexi Rodriguez, Lindsay Krause and Ally Batenhorst.

Obviously Nelson has decided to move on so being on that list doesn't guarantee being here next year.  

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Also, their web site lists several other players: Omar Manning, Gabe Ervin, Garrett Nelson, Rahmir Johnson, Casey Thompson, Lexi Rodriguez, Lindsay Krause and Ally Batenhorst.

Obviously Nelson has decided to move on so being on that list doesn't guarantee being here next year.  

Their website has a lot of athletes sponsored.  Pretty impressive tbh.  I think it would be a plus on the recruiting trail.  

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I thought Omar Manning used up all is eligiblity to play and was done.

17 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I thought Omar Manning used up all is eligiblity to play and was done.

He did and he is done.  I'm sure that website is simply referencing athletes for this current year for pure marketing and presence purposes.  Seeing how we're still in this school year, they have every right to showcase some of the athletes even if their season is complete.

Can someone either explain the whole NIL process, or link a site for the process?  When Ohio State was running spots on local news for money, I was surprised.  (It may have been a 1890 equivalent??  Not sure?)

They also said the players would be doing community and charity projects as well for the money.  This was done because OSU stated, they need better players.

2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Can someone either explain the whole NIL process, or link a site for the process?  When Ohio State was running spots on local news for money, I was surprised.  (It may have been a 1890 equivalent??  Not sure?)

They also said the players would be doing community and charity projects as well for the money.  This was done because OSU stated, they need better players.

They need better players???? You got to be kidding me. Their players were hanging with Georgia and even gave them a run for their money.  OSU is doing just fine with the players they bring in.

46 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

In theory NIL was supposed to let them do endorsements and things like that where they could profit from the public status.  Which is still basically what it is.  But it has quickly evolved into "collectives" which do all the leg work for the athletes.  They raise a bunch of money and then pass it along to the athletes.  They are still supposed to have to "work" to earn that money but it's pretty light on the "work" and heavy on the compensation.  Big donors can give money to the collective and it gets passes on that way.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

They need better players???? You got to be kidding me. Their players were hanging with Georgia and even gave them a run for their money.  OSU is doing just fine with the players they bring in.

For clarification, this was the week after the Michigan loss, and yes, they said they need better athletes.  Anyone could donate to the cause.  

4 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

For clarification, this was the week after the Michigan loss, and yes, they said they need better athletes.  Anyone could donate to the cause.  

I do not feel bad for them in the slightest, but against Georgia the OSU RB was a walk-on WR with as many special teams tackles as carries going into the game. Everyone can use more athletes.

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

Can someone either explain the whole NIL process, or link a site for the process?

All you need to know is that the college football you knew is gone (which I think is good) and now the players essentially get paid salaries (which I also think is good).

• Plus1 1