Bob Wager Hired as Tight Ends Coach/Assistant Special Teams Coach

suh_fan93

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok…..what does a hs coach do in 90 hours per week?  I can maybe see it during the season. But, that’s 4 months out of the year?   They don’t have to recruit year round like college. They don’t have to pour over hours of recruit video…etc.  

So, in March, or June….what are they doing then?

Texas High School coaches recruit.  They just have to do it through unconventional means- similar to the way colleges are poaching players off of other teams.  90 hours is likely an exaggeration but 60-70 is probably the norm for the top schools coaches through a good portion of the year.   

• Plus1 2

54 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

I believe he served as the Athletic Coordinator as well. Here in MN and probably most places that is a lot of time going to different games/activities. Maybe in Texas it is just a title to have money funneled from other areas to help pay the head football coach.

Being a coach myself, the time away from family is real...I probably don't spend 90 hours a week (teaching all day, practice, and other duties can get close some weeks though), but it is a lot. Yes, being able to watch film anywhere is great, but that means I may not be engaged fully with family while I am doing that. Youth obligations takes up time after practice and other various things going on. Again, not saying I work 90 hours a week, but Texas football is a completely different beast and if he has other duties within the athletic program it could easily get up to that. Also, I would imagine he is not doing 90 hours in the off season.

Ok, if he’s AD also, I get that.  

Also, I don’t think he’s also a teacher, is he?

1 hour ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

I believe he served as the Athletic Coordinator as well. Here in MN and probably most places that is a lot of time going to different games/activities. Maybe in Texas it is just a title to have money funneled from other areas to help pay the head football coach.

Being a coach myself, the time away from family is real...I probably don't spend 90 hours a week (teaching all day, practice, and other duties can get close some weeks though), but it is a lot. Yes, being able to watch film anywhere is great, but that means I may not be engaged fully with family while I am doing that. Youth obligations takes up time after practice and other various things going on. Again, not saying I work 90 hours a week, but Texas football is a completely different beast and if he has other duties within the athletic program it could easily get up to that. Also, I would imagine he is not doing 90 hours in the off season.

It is Texas so they have to talk about how important they are.  Most HS teachers/Football coaches in the country have similar schedules.  We do it for the love of the game and the kids.  

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Well about 21 of 24 days in the life of a fireman would show you that they are barely actually a fireman. Doing stuff around their house, yardwork, making extra money as a contractor….shopping for a new truck :lol:  One used to live next door to us. First responder? More like never a responder because he only worked a few days a month.

Oh my god...soooooo many videos of them buying new trucks!  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Many head football coaches in Texas do t teach. They just coach. 

Ha. In HS our HC was also the drivers ed. teacher. And he was a hell of a lot better at that than coaching. We won 3 games total in my Jr. & Sr. years. Went home for X-mas the year following my graduation and he was doing an ad on TV for the insurance company he worked for after being canned.

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

These videos always crack me up.  The music, the tear jerking "I don't get to see my family" bit...even though you can watch film from anywhere and pretty much every state has maximum hours you are allowed to practice.  

I could only imagine what thee "day in the life of a fireman" looks like.

The alert goes off at every time imaginable for a call that you need to respond to. Friends and colleagues are seriously injured or killed. Your family wonders if it might happen to you. It happens to people you attempt to rescue. Maybe it's the multi-vehicle accident out on the interstate you and your team respond to that's particularly gruesome involving traumatized children or the guy locked up in a public restroom that won't come out threatening to kill himself. Calls involving fuel tanks, electrical lines and explosives. In the hospital for days as a consequence of smoke inhalation. A broken leg you suffered when a wall collapsed. Or, maybe it's much worse, a busted neck. The scenarios are endless. When you're on call it can come at any hour. Few consider themselves heroes. And to think that many fire personnel and other first responders actually volunteer to perform these things and more to protect and save us! 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, M.A. said:

The alert goes off at every time imaginable for a call that you need to respond to. Friends and colleagues are seriously injured or killed. Your family wonders if it might happen to you. It happens to people you attempt to rescue. Maybe it's the multi-vehicle accident out on the interstate you and your team respond to that's particularly gruesome involving traumatized children or the guy locked up in a public restroom that won't come out threatening to kill himself. Calls involving fuel tanks, electrical lines and explosives. In the hospital for days as a consequence of smoke inhalation. A broken leg you suffered when a wall collapsed. Or, maybe it's much worse, a busted neck. The scenarios are endless. When you're on call it can come at any hour. Few consider themselves heroes. And to think that many fire personnel and other first responders actually volunteer to perform these things and more to protect and save us! 

The truest of heros!

You did not even include all the ones that get hurt while working out during their shift...or that get heartburn while eating chili.  

• TBH 1