Garret McGuire Hired as Wide Receivers Coach

Mavric

3 minutes ago, jamrinelli said:

These hires are done because they have been around great minds that understand the game. There have to be relationships that are created in order to have trust and credibility. If people want to get into the coaching game start at middle school and work your way up, or play at a high level and create a relationship with your coach…

Also how one relates with team members accounts for a lot. Establishing and maintaining relationships and, how one contributes to the organization's culture. We need to establish really solid relationships here and develop a truly remarkable culture that complements everything we do. 

• Fire 1

Just now, blinky said:

True, but that’s also the case in pretty much every profession 

Yep, more often than not it is who you know, not what you know. It’s just the way things work.

Who knows, he may end up being a great coach and Rhule is brilliant….or he sucks and Rhule was an idiot. Or more likely, we won’t really be able to tell and he’ll be judged by how the team does. I couldn’t care less about any position coach….until their room is an obvious problem.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I guarantee you one thing, he will give 110% while doing his job.  He will also have LOTS of help growing into his role.

I believe that he will come in fired up as well, just like the rest of the staff! This is one of the things I have loved about the staff is their young energy. 

I have said before and will again, I am baffled, perhaps concerned, scratching my head about some of the hires with "the largest assistant pool" known to man......And this is who he has hired.  But, Rhule has a history of rebuilds. Has a system and knows it forwards and backwards.  He can develop talent.  Read an article that the players knew he he and the LB coach were going to be.  Doesn't appear to have scared off any recruits or current players.  So there's that.  We will know a lot more in a few months...

• Plus1 2

Thought Siravo might be the LB coach but don't mind Rob Dvoracek. He has been around and looks like a promising hire. 

However, this is just a really surprising hire. Rhule has worked with some great WR coaches in the past. Obviously Mickey was option 1 but this kid had to be option 10. Let him learn as an assistant or GA under someone with more experience. I also feel bad because if the WR group does bad people will crucify this guy right away without giving him a chance. After bringing in an elite DB coach I thought he would also bring in an elite WR coach and add PGC to the title with someone like Frisman Jackson. I am willing to give Mcguire a chance to prove himself. But I almost wonder if he may have been set up for more than he can handle at this stage of his career. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Thought Siravo might be the LB coach but don't mind Rob Dvoracek. He has been around and looks like a promising hire. 

However, this is just a really surprising hire. Rhule has worked with some great WR coaches in the past. Obviously Mickey was option 1 but this kid had to be option 10. Let him learn as an assistant or GA under someone with more experience. I also feel bad because if the WR group does bad people will crucify this guy right away without giving him a chance. After bringing in an elite DB coach I thought he would also bring in an elite WR coach and add PGC to the title with someone like Frisman Jackson. I am willing to give Mcguire a chance to prove himself. But I almost wonder if he may have been set up for more than he can handle at this stage of his career. 

Well if he does really bad Rhule can always let him go for cheap but I tend to think the new wr coach will do just find.  Find wr's that fit the offense and help develop them to send them into the NFL.  There are alot of questions with the coaching staff but one thing is for sure Rhule knows what type of players and coaches he wants to build his success around.  We just got to sit back and let the coaches do their job that they get paid to do.

11 hours ago, lo country said:

I have said before and will again, I am baffled, perhaps concerned, scratching my head about some of the hires with "the largest assistant pool" known to man......And this is who he has hired.  But, Rhule has a history of rebuilds. Has a system and knows it forwards and backwards.  He can develop talent.  Read an article that the players knew he he and the LB coach were going to be.  Doesn't appear to have scared off any recruits or current players.  So there's that.  We will know a lot more in a few months...

Devil’s advocate.

Money and large salaries guarantee nothing. Look at Russell Wilson with the Broncos for example. He looked like a great pick up and they paid him pleeenty. But, if the guy doesn’t fit in the system or can’t perform, it doesn’t matter how good his resume is or how much he is paid relative to others.

It’s fair to question buddy hires or seemingly lacklaster credentials but I believe it’s more important that coaches get along with each other, can work together in a common direction and fit the overall vision of the team determined by the HC. Rhule will ultimately be judged on the teams performance. All position coaches are just a piece of the puzzle that will help (or hinder) the end product.

• Plus1 1