Garret McGuire Hired as Wide Receivers Coach

Mavric

16 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’m not a huge fan of nepotism within college and pro football, but it is what it is. 

Lane Kiffin hired Charlie Weis Jr to be his OC at FAU when Weis Jr was 24.

After spending 2 years as FAU's OC and then 2 years as South Florida's OC, Weis Jr again reunited with Kiffen to be Ole Miss's co-OC for the 2022 season.

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Lane Kiffin hired Charlie Weis Jr to be his OC at FAU when Weis Jr was 24.

After spending 2 years as FAU's OC and then 2 years as South Florida's OC, Weis Jr again reunited with Kiffen to be Ole Miss's co-OC for the 2022 season.

OK so there are young guys out there.  It still begs the question:  Is this the best Rhule could come up with in regard to finding a WR coach who shares his philosophy?

Seems like Rhule will be coaching some of the coaches while those coaches coach the players.   We were critical of Frost bringing his full staff with no P5 experience with him 5 years ago now it seems a bit concerning that Rhule has a few guys that seem a bit wet behind the ears.    I was and still am a big supporter of the Rhule hire but this seems like a head scratcher to me considering the funding available for the staff.  Big drop off from having MJ as WR coach.  MJ may never coach at this level again based on his actions. 

Scratch Head GIFs | Gfycat

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Devil’s advocate.

Money and large salaries guarantee nothing. Look at Russell Wilson with the Broncos for example. He looked like a great pick up and they paid him pleeenty. But, if the guy doesn’t fit in the system or can’t perform, it doesn’t matter how good his resume is or how much he is paid relative to others.

It’s fair to question buddy hires or seemingly lacklaster credentials but I believe it’s more important that coaches get along with each other, can work together in a common direction and fit the overall vision of the team determined by the HC. Rhule will ultimately be judged on the teams performance. All position coaches are just a piece of the puzzle that will help (or hinder) the end product.

I can't disagree.  That was why I included the additional "but" comments.  Rhule has a proven system that has worked at two separate places.  Both, IMHO, in worse shape than NU.  I think we are in good hands.  Probably since Frank tbh.  I liked Bo and still do, but he was a 1st time coach.  

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, lo country said:

I can't disagree.  That was why I included the additional "but" comments.  Rhule has a proven system that has worked at two separate places.  Both, IMHO, in worse shape than NU.  I think we are in good hands.  Probably since Frank tbh.  I liked Bo and still do, but he was a 1st time coach.  

I agree.  I think Rhule will exceed Frank once the system is in place.  BC, MR, and Bo in some ways were all head scratchers.  Yes, like the loud support for Frost by the fans as an OC genius, Bo was hire because he was a DC genius.   But both had far too little experience for our level.  BC was a culture misfit and MR- was just the anti-Bo no other reason to hire the guy.   We finally have an AD who knows how to hire for our level of competition/tratition/expectations, and I think Rhule will get us back there. 

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

5 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Who is Cody Bellaire? 

You could just click on his face and you'd see that he's a scouting and rankings assistant for On3 and a player personnel guy at LSU, A&M, Baylor, and Texas Tech previously

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2

I pretty much agree with @teachercd in that it's just a WR coach with a position group that most can successfully do for that room.  

I also think he will do extremely well with recruiting, besides coaching what the OC wants the receivers to do.  

I don't find this as a terrible hire as most, and just see it as an overreaction by them.

I see a very energetic and enthusiastic young coach who can relate well with high school players because of his age. He might become a very good recruiter who will be seen as a big brother figure. That’s looking on the bright side. Hopefully that is what Nebraska is getting. 

21 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

Extremely well in recruiting?? Recruits want to know what that coach can do to develop them,what's this guy gonna say??? He's never coached or played the position . I really hope I'm wrong with this one but if this is who was hired I'd think a lot of guys said no first.

While I do think that is true I also think most recruits want to feel the right fit.  It is often times why the staff will have a ace recruiter that snags kids that don't even play the position that he coaches.  

But I totally get what you are saying too and I agree.

• Thanks 1