Garret McGuire Hired as Wide Receivers Coach

Mavric

29 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

Extremely well in recruiting?? Recruits want to know what that coach can do to develop them,what's this guy gonna say??? He's never coached or played the position . I really hope I'm wrong with this one but if this is who was hired I'd think a lot of guys said no first.

Super extremely well recruiting... and coach of the year

ace-ventura-chew.gif

• Haha 1

I get the head scratching going on because of this kids age but I think this is authentically Matt Rhule.  Hes mentioned several times he loves being around young people and seeing them develop.  I think this also applies to young coaches.  The key difference between Frosts coordinators and their lack of P5 experience and Rhule is that Rhule has a plan to move forward.  Frost just took his one season of success and proclaimed (arrogantly) that the B1G will have to adjust to them and we all know how that turned out.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
51 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I get the head scratching going on because of this kids age but I think this is authentically Matt Rhule.  Hes mentioned several times he loves being around young people and seeing them develop.  I think this also applies to young coaches.  The key difference between Frosts coordinators and their lack of P5 experience and Rhule is that Rhule has a plan to move forward.  Frost just took his one season of success and proclaimed (arrogantly) that the B1G will have to adjust to them and we all know how that turned out.

One of the main reasons Rhule decided to come here. He's all about mentoring and development. It's a ministry of sorts for him. 

4 hours ago, Sgt Red said:

WR's that signed with us did so knowing who the WR Coach was going to be. I'm sure we are going to be just fine!

4 hours ago, HANC said:

Assuming Washington did also and is choosing to stay 

An article mentioned that the players knew who it was before the announcement and were sworn to secrecy.  IMHO, those who said yes to recruitment and yes to staying knew who it was.

Rich Fisher did pretty well at NU.  I know he had some experience, but was teaching golf prior to coming to NU IIRC.

9 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

He knows recruiting in Texas and La.  A good addition for contacts and player eval.  Recruiting is the big first step for NU imo.  On the field won’t get much better until the team gets more athletic.  

If he was that good, he'd be with his dad at T Tech....they need help recruiting against the Texas big boys UT, A&M, Houston and TCU.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5
  • TBH 1
59 minutes ago, TheSker said:

If he was that good, he'd be with his dad at T Tech....they need help recruiting against the Texas big boys UT, A&M, Houston and TCU.

Not everyone has the desire to work with their dad, especially young men who just went through their teenage years constantly arguing with them. (Stereotypically)

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

So he could definitely be labeled as getting the job because of daddy???  That take makes no sense, bc he is getting that stereotype right now working HERE. Just read others posts. He probably wants to prove he deserves this type of gig without being tied to his dad. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Maybe he fills the Tosh Lupoi role?  Playstation Online and XBOX recruiting guru.  Nah, I will wait and see how the season goes before too much judgment

Lived with a UW fan during “Tosh Day Massacre.” I think 2-3 of those verbals ended up backing off, but he did get Shaq Thompson to follow him. 

• Plus1 1

Does anyone feel that MJ wr room underperformed last year?  I ask bc other then Trey Palmer standing out there wasn't much production from that room.  I know MJ had to deal with being the head coach but I thought their be way more standouts coming out of the wr room.  MJ never got to fully help turn around the wr room and by the way it sounds his asking price was pretty high in my book.  Would I pay 2 million for MJ no especially if the offensive coordinator isnt making that much.  Can anyone here on Huskerboard name a wr coach in recent times that actually was great?  My point is we have had decent names coach here but our wrs have sucked as a whole.  I hope he can develop more then one wr next season and get more production from numerous players to offset the opposing coaches strategy of taking away your primary wr.  It definitely could help the team go along way.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Does anyone feel that MJ wr room underperformed last year?  I ask bc other then Trey Palmer standing out there wasn't much production from that room.  I know MJ had to deal with being the head coach but I thought their be way more standouts coming out of the wr room.  MJ never got to fully help turn around the wr room and by the way it sounds his asking price was pretty high in my book.  Would I pay 2 million for MJ no especially if the offensive coordinator isnt making that much.  Can anyone here on Huskerboard name a wr coach in recent times that actually was great?  My point is we have had decent names coach here but our wrs have sucked as a whole.  I hope he can develop more then one wr next season and get more production from numerous players to offset the opposing coaches strategy of taking away your primary wr.  It definitely could help the team go along way.

I think it is safe to say that everyone underperformed during the Scott Fraud era.  I think MJ (if he didn't choose to strangle his wife) would do a much better job under Rhule.  We are coming out of an era that had a bunch of frat boys running things.  We now have an adult.  Lets give it time before complaining too much.

• TBH 2
17 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

Extremely well in recruiting?? Recruits want to know what that coach can do to develop them,what's this guy gonna say??? He's never coached or played the position . I really hope I'm wrong with this one but if this is who was hired I'd think a lot of guys said no first.

This is not a talking down Question. But have you went through the kids of today being recruited process? 

I like the hire. We need kids that can play and be coached and developed. We don't really know what this kid is good at but I'm sure he has something about him that Rhules knows will fit the program.

I keep seeing he is a high energy guy. WR's are high energy divas and relate to younger coaches at Camps, practice and in general. Send this guy along with the other Texas coach we hired to the camps in Texas and i bet we see a difference in the WR talent we start bringing in. 

• Plus1 1