Garret McGuire Hired as Wide Receivers Coach

Mavric

In the article that was posted on the first page, his dad said that he would get on this app and was designing plays while at Baylor.  That shows me that he really understands the different aspects (blocking schemes, WR routes and such) of offense.  The kid is literally a football junkie.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

In the article that was posted on the first page, his dad said that he would get on this app and was designing plays while at Baylor.  That shows me that he really understands the different aspects (blocking schemes, WR routes and such) of offense.  The kid is literally a football junkie.  

Used to do that in madden too, I think I may have a future in coaching

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I am telling you that as of now, I am not questioning this hire at all!!  I reserve the right to change my mind….if you look at some of the very high profile coaches who got their start as assistant coaches at a very young age, it is staggering. He has been around the game his entire life and even been involved in the nfl aspect. Never under estimate being a coach’s kid. From experience on a much lower level, but same dynamics….my son grew up on a football field, at practice almost before he could walk, watching film with me at young age…. Played qb and was not best athlete at all, but maybe smartest… he would probably coach circles around me…. I started coaching at at age 22 and spent 32 years around the game… 60% of my life….. He is 22 and has spent and has spent 22 years absorbing the game… 100% of his life…….assuming this is the same for McGuire, but at a MUCH higher level of thinking……until proven wrong, I think this is a good hire !!!! 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

In the mid 2000s the Texans hired a WR coach who had no coordinator experience prior and maybe only got the job because of who his dad was.  In a few years he was OC. Less than an decade after that he led the best offense in the league to the SB. He's a HC now and one of the best offensive minds in the game without question. 

Matt LaFleur? Big-Time Packers fan here

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, THROW_DEM_BONES said:

Ahh, LaFleur had all but dad connection. Led Atlanta to SB as OC, led best offense with Pack, one of best offensive minds, and was assistant WR coach at Texans.

Kyle Shanahan was the OC for Atlanta in the SB, and was the Texans WR coach and also OC there.  LaFleur was quality control in Houston and QB coach in Atlanta.  Shanahan has been an OC or HC since 2008, LaFleur has been at that level only since 2017.  Similar tracks but the guy you were thinking of was Shanahan all along.  :lol:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/LaFlMa0.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ShanKy0.htm

• Thanks 1