Garret McGuire Hired as Wide Receivers Coach

Mavric

12 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Bob Diaco was in his 20s when he started feeling the strain at Western Illinois.

The strain.... goodness that guy was a weirdo, always bugged me he held his clip on microphone. He his coaching with Riley again at the New Jersey Generals.. probably a good place for him. 

20 hours ago, runningblind said:

Having young coaches makes a lot of sense in being able to relate to young guys.  

I think also we're going to see a pretty big shift to younger coaches because to be honest, the grind for college coaches is tremendous.  With this stupid extra signing period, there really isn't a window where the coaches can get away and reset for a bit.  I think coaches are going to burn out far faster and 55 is going to become the new 70 for coaches.  I wouldn't be shocked if Saban is the last P5 coach to ever coach past 70.  The salaries and expectations are so so high now that all you need is one contract to secure life changing money.  

To be clear, these guys know what they are signing up for. I've been pretty vocal that almost all these coaches are stupidly overpaid and the vast majority of them would be gym teachers or Enterprise car rental managers if it wasn't for football.  At the same time, I've grinded out 60 hour weeks for for months at a time and it flipping sucks.  I can't imagine adding 20 more hours on top of that and having it be pretty continuous for the majority of the year.

• TBH 1
15 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I think also we're going to see a pretty big shift to younger coaches because to be honest, the grind for college coaches is tremendous.  With this stupid extra signing period, there really isn't a window where the coaches can get away and reset for a bit.  I think coaches are going to burn out far faster and 55 is going to become the new 70 for coaches.  I wouldn't be shocked if Saban is the last P5 coach to ever coach past 70.  The salaries and expectations are so so high now that all you need is one contract to secure life changing money.  

To be clear, these guys know what they are signing up for. I've been pretty vocal that almost all these coaches are stupidly overpaid and the vast majority of them would be gym teachers or Enterprise car rental managers if it wasn't for football.  At the same time, I've grinded out 60 hour weeks for for months at a time and it flipping sucks.  I can't imagine adding 20 more hours on top of that and having it be pretty continuous for the majority of the year.

Yep!  totally agree

Even like, 5-10 years as an OC or DC and you are set up nicely for life.