Garret McGuire Hired as Wide Receivers Coach

Mavric

9 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Can't remember if I've posted this before, but who cares about his age. He's not the OC, he just needs to understand the offensive system, teach it and WR techniques to his room and he has 200k reasons to focus exclusively on learning everything he needs to know.

The only things I care about are, can he recruit, do the guys in the room respect him and work hard for him, and can he teach the position. 

Well, I think he’s proven he can recruit. Rhule firmly believes he can teach the position. Now, he has to prove the guys will work hard for him.  

You know what?   That the same thing with every coach on staff. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
13 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Can't remember if I've posted this before, but who cares about his age. He's not the OC, he just needs to understand the offensive system, teach it and WR techniques to his room and he has 200k reasons to focus exclusively on learning everything he needs to know.

Neb’s success under Rhule certainly won’t hinge on who the WR coach is or how old they are. 

However I think peoples main gripe (mine included) was that Rhule had the biggest assistant $$ pool a Neb coach has ever had… And for WR he hires the 24 year old son of a buddy of his. Does that really seem like a good faith effort? The absolute best possible option is this 24 year old, former Baylor walk-on, that didn’t play or coach the position and whose dad coached for Rhule? Really? I think it’s a fair criticism at this point.

In 3 years, what is the more likely scenario…

- “Boy, the WR room sure is in excellent shape. We really nailed it by taking a chance on that 24 year old.”

Or

- “Yeah… hiring a 24 year old with no coaching experience as a P5 position coach didn’t really pan out.” 

Maybe that first scenario happens. Who knows. Maybe he truly is the football wunderkind he’s been made out to be by some folks. I certainly hope so.  

I also recall Rhule being a little indignant when questioned about it on the Compton podcast. I enjoyed his overall candor, but his reaction to getting questioned about it struck me. If he’s bothered by folks making fair criticisms about a questionable hire… he ain’t seen nothing yet. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 3
6 hours ago, Fru said:

Neb’s success under Rhule certainly won’t hinge on who the WR coach is or how old they are. 

However I think peoples main gripe (mine included) was that Rhule had the biggest assistant $$ pool a Neb coach has ever had… And for WR he hires the 24 year old son of a buddy of his. Does that really seem like a good faith effort? The absolute best possible option is this 24 year old, former Baylor walk-on, that didn’t play or coach the position and whose dad coached for Rhule? Really? I think it’s a fair criticism at this point.

- “Boy, the WR room sure is in excellent shape. We really nailed it by taking a chance on that 24 year old.”

Or

- “Yeah… hiring a 24 year old with no coaching experience as a P5 position coach didn’t really pan out.” 

Maybe that first scenario happens. Who knows. Maybe he truly is the football wunderkind he’s been made out to be by some folks. I certainly hope so.  

I also recall Rhule being a little indignant when questioned about it on the Compton podcast. I enjoyed his overall candor, but his reaction to getting questioned about it struck me. If he’s bothered by folks making fair criticisms about a questionable hire… he ain’t seen nothing yet. 

People make way too much about “this guy didn’t play or coach this position before”. Football coaches can coach nearly any position on the field. In college, I would rather have a position coach who is fully aligned with the head coach and coordinator. I want that position coach to serve as the conduit to his position group, and communicate well with that group. That can be found regardless of age or if he was any good as a player. I can understand Rhule being frustrated with fans’ reactions, and I am sure he understands the deal at NU, with the fan base and media.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

People make way too much about “this guy didn’t play or coach this position before”. Football coaches can coach nearly any position on the field. In college, I would rather have a position coach who is fully aligned with the head coach and coordinator. I want that position coach to serve as the conduit to his position group, and communicate well with that group. That can be found regardless of age or if he was any good as a player. I can understand Rhule being frustrated with fans’ reactions, and I am sure he understands the deal at NU, with the fan base and media.

People love to make it harder than it is...

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

6 hours ago, Fru said:

Or

Good points.

I feel like Rhule preferred the pool of money for assistants was important to him to stretch it upon a staff of 37-50 people.  In hindsight.

• Plus1 2
On 2/10/2023 at 6:16 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Garrett not playing the position is hardly my biggest gripe. I feel like I was pretty clear about that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Fru said:

Garrett not playing the position is hardly my biggest gripe. I feel like I was pretty clear about that. 

So your biggest gripes are:

1) His age - possibly a concern, but plenty of great coaches have gotten their start at a young age. At least with his age, he should be eager work hard and loyal to Rhule for his first few years. Plus, he can relate well to recruits.

2) Nepotistic hire - I’m not a fan of nepotistic hires either, but it’s done all over football, so it is what it is.

3) You thought Rhule would bring in seasoned coaches given the available salary pool given to Rhule - Rhule made it clear pretty early that he wants “his guys”, and not an “all-star” coaching staff which may not always be pulling in the same direction. Most assumed the WR coach would go to Mickey, until Mickey blew that opportunity. So, Rhule is taking that $ saved and using it on the biggest group of support staff in the Big Ten. 

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

1) His age - possibly a concern, but plenty of great coaches have gotten their start at a young age. At least with his age, he should be eager work hard and loyal to Rhule for his first few years. Plus, he can relate well to recruits.

2) Nepotistic hire - I’m not a fan of nepotistic hires either, but it’s done all over football, so it is what it is.

3) You thought Rhule would bring in seasoned coaches given the available salary pool given to Rhule - Rhule made it clear pretty early that he wants “his guys”, and not an “all-star” coaching staff which may not always be pulling in the same direction. Most assumed the WR coach would go to Mickey, until Mickey blew that opportunity. So, Rhule is taking that $ saved and using it on the biggest group of support staff in the Big Ten

Which is so awesome bc he is has hired people that know Texas out of the back of their hands to help right the ship.  I honestly love the hires of the support staff and are very intrigued by the wr coach hire and the te hire.  The wr coach has been around plenty of coaches and the te coach Bob Wager has his fair share of experience.  Yeah both probably never been on this big staff but give them a chance.  Lets see how it plays out first then judge it.

25 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'd say it's more of his complete lack of any meaningful P5 experience than his age.

25 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yup. It's just part of it.

26 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

3) You thought Rhule would bring in seasoned coaches given the available salary pool given to Rhule - Rhule made it clear pretty early that he wants “his guys”, and not an “all-star” coaching staff which may not always be pulling in the same direction. Most assumed the WR coach would go to Mickey, until Mickey blew that opportunity. So, Rhule is taking that $ saved and using it on the biggest group of support staff in the Big Ten. 

I'd say this is my biggest concern with multiple guys on the staff, not just Garrett. A solid chunk of these new guys have zero P5 experience. Some I can understand, like Wager. What he lacks in P5 experience, he'll surely makeup for in Texas connections and recruiting. But after buying in big time with Frost and Co where most had little to no P5 experience,  I'd say anyone is justified in have a reasonable amount of skepticism with some of these hires.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not rooting for or predicting failure. I want it to work and hope I'm wrong. Hopefully there's a cohesiveness here now that's obviously been missing for years.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2